DCA AND DCI JOIN FORCES!

Lee,

With all due respect, please remove "Kilties-01" from your line listing of corps you may had been associated with. If you recall, you were in attendance at one, maybe two, rehearsals in the Fall of 2000 to prepare for the 2001 season and had to drop out due to personal reasons.

It is disrepectful to the Kiltie organization as a whole and, more importantly, to the thousands of Kilties who have donned the tartan since 1934.

Being a Kiltie is earned.

William (Bill) Roetzer

President

The Kilties

As per your request, I have removed the Kilties from my signature line.

However, I would like to set the record straight. My time with the Kilties was brief, that I will admit. I only attended 3 or 4 practices and marched a Christmas parade with the corps before personal and financial difficulties forced me to quit.

I meant no disrespect to the corps or its members. I consider my short time in the corps to be one of the most important and rewarding times of my life, right along side my military service. I learned more about music and marching in that short time than any other time before or since. With such a distinguished history as the Kilties have, I considered practice to be a drum corps-style approximation to an NFL training camp and took it just as seriously. My decision to quit was one of the hardest and most heartbreaking decisions I have had to make.

I had fully intended to return to Racine and finish what I started, but circumstances did not allow it. I have tried to be a supporter of the corps as much as I was able in whatever capacity I could. Usually online, but sometimes in person when someone asked me about the Kilties T-shirt I was wearing. My inclusion of it in my corps experience was my way of showing how proud I was of the experience I had and of the extraordinary people I met. Few people have a "brush with greatness"(speaking within the activity), but this was mine.

I apologize for any offense taken, but I hardly think that a public dressing down was called for when a private message or email on the matter would have sufficed. Coming from a group that I have admired and respected for so many years is beyond disheartening.

You have lost a supporter and a fan.

Perhaps you missed the board seismic shift in DCI and many changes there.

You're probably right. I haven't been keeping up with things in DCI (or drum corps in general) as much as I would have liked to; what with school, work, family and other obligations. I'm still playing a bit of catch-up. My opinion (and that is solely what it is) is based purely on the experiences I have had personally.

So, what have I missed? (This is not meant as flame bait, I seriously want to know what has changed.)

So, what have I missed? (This is not meant as flame bait, I seriously want to know what has changed.)

Haven't kept up that well either but off-hand:

1) Dan Atchinson(sp?) saying in public he was wrong about people in All-Age corps "trying to relive their glory years". IIRC his full quote had something like he was speaking without knowing the facts and he should have known better.

2) Dan testifying over the phone at the court hearing when the owners of Hershey Stadium cancelled the combined Jr/Sr show a few years later. Yes he was testifying how this hurt DCI corps but interesting as he was fighting this with the DCA VP.

3) DCI ads at DCA Prelims....

You're probably right. I haven't been keeping up with things in DCI (or drum corps in general) as much as I would have liked to; what with school, work, family and other obligations. I'm still playing a bit of catch-up. My opinion (and that is solely what it is) is based purely on the experiences I have had personally.

The short version: 7 corps tried to push Dan out, set up a model that favored them to the detriment of the rest, the board booted those guys off, a new board exists and DCI is doing far more fan outreach than ever. Given that the guy leading the marketing is a fan of DCA, and that DCA isn't run like it's 1975 anymore have made the two groups have better relations than ever, even if 40 years overdue.

And there is a DCI forum where if you sift back a year, you cam find out a lot more

Haven't kept up that well either but off-hand:

1) Dan Atchinson(sp?) saying in public he was wrong about people in All-Age corps "trying to relive their glory years". IIRC his full quote had something like he was speaking without knowing the facts and he should have known better.

2) Dan testifying over the phone at the court hearing when the owners of Hershey Stadium cancelled the combined Jr/Sr show a few years later. Yes he was testifying how this hurt DCI corps but interesting as he was fighting this with the DCA VP.

3) DCI ads at DCA Prelims....

The short version: 7 corps tried to push Dan out, set up a model that favored them to the detriment of the rest, the board booted those guys off, a new board exists and DCI is doing far more fan outreach than ever. Given that the guy leading the marketing is a fan of DCA, and that DCA isn't run like it's 1975 anymore have made the two groups have better relations than ever, even if 40 years overdue.

And there is a DCI forum where if you sift back a year, you cam find out a lot more

I stand corrected. Thank you for the info.