Crown's kids reaction to 1st place?

First of all, a BIG shout out to the members, staff and supporters of Carolina Crown on their success and victory in Saginaw, TX night 1. BIG accomplishment--congratulations! I look forward to seeing what you guys accomplish the rest of the season.

I did not see the shows in Texas or the theater event, so I have no idea how the performances went. But I had concern that the members were so surprised after night 1 that they experienced a drop night 2 just simply having never been in such a position. Can anyone comment?

I remember having similar experiences coming out and FINALLY beating rivals while at both Sky in 92 and Phantom in 94. In each instance we never looked back and never lost to a corps after passing them. In the case of Sky, it was a lower-placing corps and a very young corps, not exactly like Crown, which is probably quite a bit more veteran than we were at Sky. But Crown still isn't as experienced as the corps in its placement vicinity, so that is why I say the two situations are comparable. Phantom was obviously both a veteran corps in 94 as well as a more experienced organization then than I would say Crown is today. So again, similar situations.

We started out in 92 about 7 points behind Spirit of Atlanta and by the end of July we had caught Spirit and never lost to them again. So while we were not a veteran corps or organization, we certainly hyped on finally catching that rival. And in 94 we started out in 6th, lost to Scouts the first time we saw them (their home show, btw!), then never again (up to 5th); lost to SCV the first time we saw them, then never again (up to 4th!); and FINALLY caught Cavies on the night of Semis and beat them in Semis and Finals (ended up in 3rd!). We never beat Cadets and BD was undefeated. So again, veteran organization (if not membership...I think PR 94 had 28 vets?) that knew how to turn up the heat after a big victory.

Again, I didn't see any of the performances over the last week, but my take from afar was that perhaps Crown experienced a moment of, "Well, OK...what do we do NOW?!?" Not so much resting on their laurels as simply being the first time in their history they came out on top with everyone in the house. This Crown strikes me as a VERY dangerous ensemble if the judges were willing to place them in 1st opening night. They probably deserved the win, they just didn't KNOW they were THAT good. ;-)

I'm interested in UNBIASED input from folks who saw both opening performances. ;-)

Again, I didn't see any of the performances over the last week, but my take from afar was that perhaps Crown experienced a moment of, "Well, OK...what do we do NOW?!?" Not so much resting on their laurels as simply being the first time in their history they came out on top with everyone in the house. This Crown strikes me as a VERY dangerous ensemble if the judges were willing to place them in 1st opening night. They probably deserved the win, they just didn't KNOW they were THAT good. ;-)

As someone already mentioned, Crown didn't learn about the score until the East Coast fans starting tweeting on Monday night.

Your message does bring up a good point: that first show should carry no less (or more) weight than the second show. Crown's been busy since Sunday -- they even made a change I heard mentioned here :ninja: Looking forward to this evening's contest.

As someone already mentioned, Crown didn't learn about the score until the East Coast fans starting tweeting on Monday night.

Your message does bring up a good point: that first show should carry no less (or more) weight than the second show. Crown's been busy since Sunday -- they even made a change I heard mentioned here :ninja: Looking forward to this evening's contest.

Corps, you are so good at hiding hints in your posts.. I can't tell anymore what your actually hinting at.

I really can't wait to see the VOD tonight.

Your message does bring up a good point: that first show should carry no less (or more) weight than the second show.

nonsense! it is obvious that Crown is in free fall! They dropped 4 points in one day! One can only logically conclude that they will score approximately -200 by the time finals comes around. :tongue:

• Like 1

Crown must have been on fire to win in that first show. They looked really good at the theater but I had them in 5th... I mostly pay attention to the guard so what do I know? :satisfied:

• Like 1