Stanford Observations

Here's a few thoughts about what I heard and saw last night! Had big Speakers and 72 in widescreen to view it, so as far as Fan Netwok goes I was living the dream and probably pissing off the neighbors!:):) Who cares!

Renegades- Great screamer, I'm a sucker for high notes. I am a trumpet player after all! Good designed show that was fun to watch.

Revolution- first off Good job to my two current/ex students that are marching, way to go! I love the Revo drumline, they've definitely got the goods this year! Show seams a bit too ambitious for the size of hornline, but they have good moments! Enjoyable product, should do well!

SCV Cadets- two things stuck out at mr, great sounds and lots of holes. I wonder if some members that were marching thus show moved up to SCV? Anyway, obvious jump in quality from Revolution, great show!

BDB- I stunk so bad from bballing my wife kicked me out to shower only caught a couple o minutes- killer screamer, heck yeah!! Wife said they were amazing!

BDC- having my first kid in Nov, maybe in 5 years I'll be able to have a kid in BDC:):)! Fun show, great job!!

PC- don't see why they're getting beat by Mandarins- great opening sounds and very good drill design! Trumpets are a bit squealy in tone production, but a solid corps and show, needs to be finished me thinks?

Mandarins- small this summer, good sounds at beg but then they have issues maintaing due to the lack of depth. Good show overall, needs to be completed as well!!

BK- Honk Alert, Honk Alert, I Am The Undusputed BK Honk World Title Holder! They could play Mary had a little lamb and I'd love it, but there's no denying- BK IS FOR REAL THIS YEAR! My Lord the low brass- WOW, great blended full sounds from the Knights this summer! To put in perspective this show you have to go back 3 seasons! BK in 09 had a great corps(shiver year) but sustained massive injuries due to drill velocity not matching conditioning, and they never locked in a marching style. In 2010, they changed the style to straight leg and wrote a show that could be cleaned and help them to master a new technique. Now in 11 they're letting it fly both musically and visually!! Having seen them change their identity and not drop from finals was amazing, to see them this strong and with this much potential is Freaking Awesome! They're way dirty visually and that's to be expected with the jump in difficulty, but this is a mature corps with great work ethic! Watch out folks ahead of them, they're coming for You!!

Cadets- world champs I think, though cavies will give a run too! I feel they should be 2-3 pointing BD right now. Great drill, no OUTRAGIOUSLY GOOD DRILL!! I love Angels as My top band at the HS I teach at played it, great writing!! Love the arrangement and the ballads are just amazing, way to go Cadets!! You've returned to the Cadets that I loved, can't wait to see them again!!

SCV- Just when I say that one corps returned to being the corps I loved, SCV has done the opposite! My 2nd favorite drum corps organization of all time, really! But SCV what are you doing? It's almost like they knew they were gonna struggle with the brass so they wrote the most esoteric music that they could to try and hide it! They also knew the drumline was going to smoke so they made them the feature!! Great but after 3-4 minutes of drum domination it just gets old! With the battery being so strong I believe it's going to hurt the corps in the end as the brass will be no where near that good and it shines a big spotlight on the weaker brass? What can you do? The battery is good u got to show them off!! This show unless the brass comes a full 360 is going to finish 9-11 I believe.

BD- my nomination for cd corps of the year, fun music, love to listen to it! Bad disjointed drill with too much prop use and manipulation! Just not the product to compete for a 3rd title in a row!

Phantom- another cd corps that I'll want to listen to just not watch! Great sounds, still feel they have to work to hard to achieve it because of the Jupiters! Drill is just very safe and though it works for placement, it's not a great design. I feel this show really could have been their next Sparticus but instead will keep them in the 6-7 place range!

My placements would have been:

1) Cadets

2) BD

3) Phantom

4) BK by thin margin, vis dirt

5) SCV

6) Pac Crest

7) Mandarins

Open class same placements as announced.

Just my views on the show, good night of loud drum corps in my living room!!

Wes P

BK 97 98

• Like 1

SCV- Just when I say that one corps returned to being the corps I loved, SCV has done the opposite! My 2nd favorite drum corps organization of all time, really! But SCV what are you doing? It's almost like they knew they were gonna struggle with the brass so they wrote the most esoteric music that they could to try and hide it! They also knew the drumline was going to smoke so they made them the feature!! Great but after 3-4 minutes of drum domination it just gets old! With the battery being so strong I believe it's going to hurt the corps in the end as the brass will be no where near that good and it shines a big spotlight on the weaker brass? What can you do? The battery is good u got to show them off!! This show unless the brass comes a full 360 is going to finish 9-11 I believe.

I love you. Platonic love, but love nonetheless.

+1 Sir, for standing up and calling it how you see it.

• Like 2

Maybe so, I concur they have rich dark sounds overall, but there are times- the beginning in particular that the mello sound is tinny and more strident than the low brass! It took 3 years with the Jupiters for them to regain that ensemble sound. If they had Kings again would it take 3 years of tweaking to get that sound? Just saying!! I too love their sound but I liked the King brass lines of Phantom past better. Just my opinion though:)

• Like 2

I love you. Platonic love, but love nonetheless.

+1 Sir, for standing up and calling it how you see it.

We all "call it how we see it" -- who doesn't? lol

Do you call it how you don't see it?

(I've always thought this was kind of like when people try to get respect for patently silly opinions, by saying "I don't know anything about ______, but I know what I like!")

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

What bias, me biased?? Never- snicker snicker:):):):)

Truthfully it's not that I think they're that close to Phantom or the top three from that night, but SCV just doesn't have it this year, except for the drumline. I'm a music educator going on 12 years now and I know brass tone production issues when I see and hear them. I do feel that SCV will be the group to drop back in the middle of the season but I'm not a prophet and a judge on the field so we'll see! Just my honest observation on the matter!:)

Wes P

• Like 1

Great review Wes, I agree wholeheartedly with the SCV comments (and everything else for that matter).

While we're calling it like we see it, how ridiculous do the string sounds on the synth in Phantom's show sound?

I feel like it takes A LOT away from the impact of the show.

• Like 1