Quincy Show an "Off the Record" CYO program

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have one -

Sunrisers - '69 - '71 - "Ritual Fire Dance"

It's either them or the Trumbull Cadets. ; - )

Hmmmm ... don't think so ... CYO Nats was a Jr. show ... and I don't think Trumbull Cadets ever appeared there ...

:-)

I'll go with:

Bridgemen 1978 Ritual Fire Dance (RFD)

OR

Anaheim Kingsmen 1971(or '72) RFD

Oh wait, maybe even K'men 1973

:dancin:

:sigh:

The second offering I think is a blue and white corps from the midwest playing a melon family tune.

Edited by Mellofello01

The Quincy, MA Show this Friday, July 1st, will be a tribute to the legendary CYO Nationals and so is the current installment of "Off the Record".

The first person who can correctly identify, in order, the corps, year, and song title of the samples featured on the program will receive a copy of the CD "State of the Art", recorded by the Santa Clara Vanguard and Blue Devils at the Concord Pavilion, in 1980. (It was the first multi-track drum corps recording.)

The sequence begins with the Boston Crusaders, 1964, "Zing, Went the Strings of My Heart". Post the rest below.

Good luck!

CYO Nationals "Through the Years"

1965 Chicago Royal Airs, "Watermellon Man"

1965 St Marys Cardinals "Tropical Heat Wave"

1965 St Kevins Emerald Knights "Charmaine"

1969 Casper Troopers "Battle Hymm"

1973 LaCrosse Blue Stars "Malaga"

1972 Anahiem Kinsmen, "Saber Dance"

1971 Blue Rock, "American Salute"

1975 Madison Scouts, "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue"

1979 North Star "Great Soloist: Jerry Noonan"

1980 27th Lancers "Crown Imperial"

1983 Santa Clara Vanguard

1984 Garfield Cadets "Maria/West Side Stroy"

Elphaba

Oh yeah

Blue devils - 1980 - Ya Gotta Try

Note - Perhaps the best mello features of the era in this tune.

And the soloist Oh, the soloist.

Edited by Mellofello01

Oh yeah

Blue devils - 1980 - Ya Gotta Try

Note - Perhaps the best mello features of the era in this tune.

And the soloist Oh, the soloist.

The story so far...

Elphaba and MelloFello together are pretty darn good and currently lead the pack in all captions. Nice going!

The list still needs a little tweak here and there, but there are bonus points for identifying that North Star star.

Hints: 1. choose years when the given corps appeared at CYO, especially if they won the show.

2. there are 2 "studio" recordings, one with Walter Brennan

Also, I have received several lists by email. They only count if posted here. In the event no one gets a perfect score, the earliest one with the most correct answers will win.

I'm going to take a crack at this "closed book" (without listening to my collection for comparison). I can only guess at some of the years, since so many of these songs were played in several seasons.

1964 Boston Crusaders - Zing Went the Strings of My Heart, Russian Sailor's Dance

1965 Royal Airs - Watermelon Man

1965 St. Mary's Cardinals - Tropical Heat Wave

1965 St. Kevin's Emerald Knights - Charmaine

1970 Troopers - Battle Hymn of the Republic

1971 Blue Rock - American Salute

1971 Anaheim Kingsmen - Ritual Fire Dance (in honor of 1972)

1973 Blue Stars - Malaga

1975 Madison Scouts - Slaughter on Tenth Avenue

1979 North Star - Ole

1980 Blue Devils - Ya Gotta Try 80 (State of the Art)

1981 27th Lancers - Crown Imperial 81

1983 Santa Clara Vanguard - Symphony #3 (Giannini), 4th Movement

1984 Garfield Cadets - Maria

(I assume the clip of Skyliners' "Little Old New York" at the end isn't part of the CYO tribute.)

The tricky one is the Kingsmen clip. If I'm guessing correctly, that clip is from the "1972 International Preview" LP, which assembled recordings of all 13 original DCI member corps in June of 1972. The Kingsmen, however, were not available to be recorded (that was right when they nearly folded, then regrouped)....so a copy of a Dale Johnson recording of the 1971 corps was used for this LP. Since they kept pretty much all their music in 1972, I imagine few people are even aware that the recording on that LP is not '72....I only realized it when I acquired the production masters, and found the box with Dale's handwriting on it.

"Author, AUTHOR!!!!!!!"

How about some "Bonus Bucks" for:

Bostons' "Haet Wave" by Norman Prince Alum Ed Dennon, SKEKS "Charmaine" by Frank "Buddy" Bergdoll, SMC"s "Heat Wave" by Al Saia (Another "Prince" vet), Troopers "Battle Hymm" rewrite by Don Angelica, Two-Seven's "Crown" by Jim Wedge, Madison's "Sl;aughter" by Ray Baumgart, Kingsmen's "Sabre Dance" by Mike Duffy, SCV's opener by Gale Royer, BD's "Ya Gotta Try" by Sunriser & SCV Alum Wayne Downey, and Royal Airs "Watermelon Man" by the late great Truman Crawford.

Elphaba

I can figure this out in a heartbeat, it's only going take me a million years. :tongue:

Edited by Piper