Blue Devils and Mics

So did the bluecoats. lol.

But dont expect a bash thread about anything unless the blue devils did it. The scouts, cavaliers, blue coats, crown or phantom can come out with a clarinet section wheeled around on motorized carts and flutes riding around on segways and nobody will care. But if the Blue devils do it, its a serious issue that destroys the activity. lol

rolleyes.gif

Actually, I seem to remember quite a bit of Cavie bashing over this last year.

And I'm not a BD hater... just only with this.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 2

What's next wireless mics on each horn?

It's inevitable, alas. And it will be terrible. But people will defend it because then you can separate where the players are on the field from the sound, and the soundboard can balance out the sections, and the players can play softer and thus play more. Forget all that nonsense about show design tradeoffs. We can have it all through the magic of electronics. So it will sound terrible once you pipe 100+ musicians through two PA speakers, and the people outside the center section wont be able to hear anything. But the kids will know we are innovating, and they will keep coming back.

Maybe someday the dinosaurs will realize that its not a matter of "have to be" mic'd. Its a choice. Im pretty sure the same if not better trained players than back in the day.

You dont have to like it, but please stop with the "oh we didnt HAVE to do that. We were SOOO MUch better".

OK. Where in my post did I say that? All I said was what was talked about after the show. A conversation that included BD vets.

OK. Where in my post did I say that? All I said was what was talked about after the show. A conversation that included BD vets.

That was more of a general statement to the general DCP crowd. Thats the sentiment anytime we are dealing with the subject and your recount of the conversation sounded a lot like that. My apologies for the confusion.

• Like 3

That was more of a general statement to the general DCP crowd. Thats the sentiment anytime we are dealing with the subject and your recount of the conversation sounded a lot like that. My apologies for the confusion.

No worries. While I may not like the micing of the soloists... I LOVE the music this year!

No worries. While I may not like the micing of the soloists... I LOVE the music this year!

I do too! I cant wait for Allentown. Thats the next time I get to see them.

heh... I was driving everyone crazy afterwards because I couldn't get "Walk On By" out of my head and kept humming it.

I've not seen Madison live but watched their show on the fan network, where I noticed that the soloist are coming through so loud and clear that I guessed that they were mic'd. Maybe it was just a very good recording or they're extremely loud players, but does anybody know if they're using mics? BTW, loved their show and looking forward to seeing them live in San Antonio, with mics or not.

Sssshhhhhh! Don't give 'em any ideas!

Gary in Vegas

There are LOTS of high schools in Indiana who mic Section Leaders, some even mic 2-3 kids in each section, mix it, and amp the mix toward the crowd throughout the entire show.

I think it's borderline cheating, but it's not against the rules...

• Like 1