Blue Devils and Mics

There are LOTS of high schools in Indiana who mic Section Leaders, some even mic 2-3 kids in each section, mix it, and amp the mix toward the crowd throughout the entire show.

I think it's borderline cheating, but it's not against the rules...

Yeah. That I don't agree with. Micing a soloist is one thing. The above goes waaay beyond!

So did the Bluecoats. lol.

But don't expect a bash thread about anything unless the Blue Devils did it. The Scouts, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Crown, or Phantom can come out with a clarinet section wheeled around on motorized carts and flutes riding around on segways and nobody will care. But if the Blue Devils do it, its a serious issue that destroys the activity. lol.

Just four posts in this thread before yours is a complaint about last season's Cavaliers miked soloists.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I've not seen Madison live but watched their show on the fan network, where I noticed that the soloist are coming through so loud and clear that I guessed that they were mic'd. Maybe it was just a very good recording or they're extremely loud players, but does anybody know if they're using mics? BTW, loved their show and looking forward to seeing them live in San Antonio, with mics or not.

I will stand to be corrected, but I do not believe any of the Madison horns are mic'ed. Certainly not the Tuba or bari soloists who are backfield and on the move throughout their solos. My impression was that the sops (trumpets?) at the end were just projecting.

Edited by lastknight

Ah yes, the mics being used for squealers.

This applies for BD this year and Cavaliers last year.

Please stop blasting that amusical nonsense. It is ridiculous, not impressive, and takes away from the musical moments you are trying to convey on the field.

At least when it wasn't mic-ed, I could ignore it and pay attention to other things going on on the field. Now, it is like a bunch of pterodactyl screaming in my face, while I'm trying to enjoy a drum corps show.

There is a difference between a LEAD trumpet solo, and attempting, poorly, to sound like Maynard Ferguson. Why are we still stuck on this 1970's kick in regards to this?

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 3

I love how people think that the mics are NECESSARY for those players to reach those notes and project them. That's a hoot and a half. I'd only ask them what about a microphone helps a soloist play in the upper range of their instrument? And to those who claim that it's more proper to play OVER the corps, remember that BITD, hornlines were smaller and played with more tuning issues. Or if you'd like to have it your way, screaming on those G bugles was just louder.

Any argument for mics somehow compensating for reduced skill is just silly. And insulting.

Now, whether they are used well and to good effect is another story entirely.

I love how people think that the mics are NECESSARY for those players to reach those notes and project them. That's a hoot and a half. I'd only ask them what about a microphone helps a soloist play in the upper range of their instrument? And to those who claim that it's more proper to play OVER the corps, remember that BITD, hornlines were smaller and played with more tuning issues. Or if you'd like to have it your way, screaming on those G bugles was just louder.

Any argument for mics somehow compensating for reduced skill is just silly. And insulting.

Now, whether they are used well and to good effect is another story entirely.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. The ability to project one's sound (irrespective of volume level) is a function of skill. Bill Watrous has one of the most gorgeous trombone sounds in the world, but in general he does not project that sound....he relies on a microphone....a HOT microphone, I might add. Does that insinuate that Mr. Watrous lacks skill? Not at all. He has made CHOICES about his performance and how he wishes to present himself.

BITD, if you couldn't project your sound, it didn't matter how pretty your tone was. You don't have to watch too many vintage clips to find a soloist who could only hit the notes at a particular projection. The mics are, at the very least, an equalizer if it comes down to two players who have differing abilities to project.

• Like 2

For the record, I never said anything about compensating for lack of skill. I just don't like the idea of mic'd brass period no matter who does it. These guys can all play circles around my lack of skill!

In general, I don't like amplified sound in drum corp. That goes for Pit, Solos, and sometimes, the announcer.

:tongue:

I was critical last year, and wish that BD was not using a mic this year.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. The ability to project one's sound (irrespective of volume level) is a function of skill. Bill Watrous has one of the most gorgeous trombone sounds in the world, but in general he does not project that sound....he relies on a microphone....a HOT microphone, I might add. Does that insinuate that Mr. Watrous lacks skill? Not at all. He has made CHOICES about his performance and how he wishes to present himself.

BITD, if you couldn't project your sound, it didn't matter how pretty your tone was. You don't have to watch too many vintage clips to find a soloist who could only hit the notes at a particular projection. The mics are, at the very least, an equalizer if it comes down to two players who have differing abilities to project.

If you had the option of blowing your chops for Just Another Show at Run-of-the-Mill HS every night or playing with a good tone and saving those same chops, what would you pick?

Does anyone really think those screamers CAN'T project over their corps if they wanted to? You don't become a Blue Devil screamer by impressing the staff with, "Well, his projection isn't there but thankfully we have mics." No. They COULD and choose not to.

• Like 1