Blue Devils and Mics

I think it is a matter of mic'd soloist so that they play with good tone quality and not have to make playing load the main focal point of the musician. I'm not saying that soloists back in my day didn't have good tone quality. I'm just putting that out there.

If you had the option of blowing your chops for Just Another Show at Run-of-the-Mill HS every night or playing with a good tone and saving those same chops, what would you pick?

So they're not going to use the mikes at Finals?

• Like 1

no, I'm pretty sure people named Mike will be allowed to perform at finals.

and oh ya....mics will probably also be used :tongue:

• Like 1

i didn't realize that bd had to do this. i thought it was something they chose to do just like many other corps.

Sure, just like when they chose to go with the Bb horns. Just a choice.

If you had the option of blowing your chops for Just Another Show at Run-of-the-Mill HS every night or playing with a good tone and saving those same chops, what would you pick?

Does anyone really think those screamers CAN'T project over their corps if they wanted to? You don't become a Blue Devil screamer by impressing the staff with, "Well, his projection isn't there but thankfully we have mics." No. They COULD and choose not to.

Why would this make them less objectionable to those of us who find the use of mics horribly un-drum corps?

Why would this make them less objectionable to those of us who find the use of mics horribly un-drum corps?

I wouldn't. I was responding to one particular argument.

If you don't like 'em in your drum corps, you won't like 'em in your drum corps until you decide to open your mind up and realize that this IS drum corps! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Think bigger picture. Those screamers have things to do after the season ends, you know! :tongue:

Sure, just like when they chose to go with the Bb horns. Just a choice.

i love the implication that bd is helplessly forced to mic horn solos in order to remain competitive with other corps. following the pack is really their thing, after all.

anyhoo, i'm not a fan of mic'd horns at all, but i'm even less of a fan of silliness.

• Like 2

I was absolutely APPALLED when I saw/heard BD using mics for the soloists!! (FYI I didn't see any of the corps that used them last year).

For any DRUM & BUGLE CORPS to use microphones to amplify brass soloists is so outrageously LAME it's almost beyond words. It's a "flip of the bird" to the legacy of the activity. Yes, the acoustics of a football stadium are a huge challenge for a primarily acoustic musical ensemble. HELLOOOO??? THAT'S THE POINT OF THE WHOLE ACTIVITY!! It's the surmounting of this challenge with (mostly) acoustic, human powered instruments that is what makes this activity great!

What this is, is a total show design COP OUT!. It's a function of lazy designers who want to take short cuts. My opinion - if you can't stage the soloists or balance the rest of the ensemble so that the soloists can be heard, or if you don't have soloists that can project well enough, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SOLOISTS!!

What's even more appalling is that Blue Devils probably have the best soloists in the activity, and therefore are the least in need for amplification!!

How long will it be before we have clip-on wireless microphones on the bell of every player?

I thought it would be the legalization of woodwinds that would mark the beginning of my retirement as a DCI spectator. However if amplification continues its invasion into the brass section, I may not wait around for the reeds before I start planning something new for my mid-August vacation.

• Like 7

I was absolutely APPALLED when I saw/heard BD using mics for the soloists!! (FYI I didn't see any of the corps that used them last year).

For any DRUM & BUGLE CORPS to use microphones to amplify brass soloists is so outrageously LAME it's almost beyond words. It's a "flip of the bird" to the legacy of the activity. Yes, the acoustics of a football stadium are a huge challenge for a primarily acoustic musical ensemble. HELLOOOO??? THAT'S THE POINT OF THE WHOLE ACTIVITY!! It's the surmounting of this challenge with (mostly) acoustic, human powered instruments that is what makes this activity great!

What this is, is a total show design COP OUT!. It's a function of lazy designers who want to take short cuts. My opinion - if you can't stage the soloists or balance the rest of the ensemble so that the soloists can be heard, or if you don't have soloists that can project well enough, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SOLOISTS!!

What's even more appalling is that Blue Devils probably have the best soloists in the activity, and therefore are the least in need for amplification!!

How long will it be before we have clip-on wireless microphones on the bell of every player?

I thought it would be the legalization of woodwinds that would mark the beginning of my retirement as a DCI spectator. However if amplification continues its invasion into the brass section, I may not wait around for the reeds before I start planning something new for my mid-August vacation.

Cool story, brah.

• Like 2