Blue Devils and Mics

I wouldn't. I was responding to one particular argument.

If you don't like 'em in your drum corps, you won't like 'em in your drum corps until you decide to open your mind up and realize that this IS drum corps! :thumbup:

Right, because it's not possible to have a different philisophical take on what drum corps should be. :doh:

This is not even remotely true. If it's this is your experience with the corps you marched with, I feel bad for you and the horrific approach your staff took. I can assure you that no corps I've ever been associated with, either as a performer or instructor, has ever taken the approach you describe. EVER.

Thanks John. I read that and thought to myself "what would Frank Williams or Robert Smith say if we laid an egg in Bristol, RI just because it was a "podunk" show?"

They would have eaten our lunch, and the next day's rehearsal would have been hell. If anything, I think this guy has it backwards... some INDIVIDUALS may not put a particular evening's show at the level of Finals, but the CORPS as a whole is constantly striving to put their best performance on the field, night after night. Hell, even in my ALUMNI corps we strive to make each performance of our show, whether it's a standstill, a rehearsal, or a show better than the last one. If you don't do that, you plateau or regress, which is not a Good Thing.

Seriously, a very silly comment. An in no way an "indisputable fact".

• Like 1

I’d think that as staff, their teacher, you’d teach them how to achieve that desired sound by educating them as opposed to fixing or achieveing that sound through a mixing board

Adding mics does nothing to eliminate teaching the members to make a good sound. In fact, in the year in question, it helped us tremendously. we always teach the members to play with the best characteristic sound we can, and using mics helped the kids avoid the tendency to overcompensate for such a small size by overblowing.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 3

Meh.

Cavaliers did it last year . . .and while I'd rather see it done the old fashioned way, as long as it isn't horribly distorted, it's fine by me.

hell at finals from the 38 yard line, you couldnt even hear cavies screamers with the mics

I will stand to be corrected, but I do not believe any of the Madison horns are mic'ed. Certainly not the Tuba or bari soloists who are backfield and on the move throughout their solos. My impression was that the sops (trumpets?) at the end were just projecting.

Madison's soloists stand inside the pit, so they are closer than most soloists, and there's a slight possibility of the keyboard mics picking them up -- but probably not, because their bells are pointed up, not down. But yeah, they're just that loud.

Also I'd like to throw my obligatory comment in here that all of the people complaining about the existence of amplification period never actually represent pit percussionists. Pits did not sound good before amplification, and most corps don't over-amplify. Just because some corps do doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed.

So did the bluecoats. lol.

But dont expect a bash thread about anything unless the blue devils did it. The scouts, cavaliers, blue coats, crown or phantom can come out with a clarinet section wheeled around on motorized carts and flutes riding around on segways and nobody will care. But if the Blue devils do it, its a serious issue that destroys the activity. lol

um Cavies and Coats got a ton of crap on here for it last year. sorry to kill your argument with truth and logic

Also I'd like to throw my obligatory comment in here that all of the people complaining about the existence of amplification period never actually represent pit percussionists. Pits did not sound good before amplification, and most corps don't over-amplify. Just because some corps do doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed.

Well, representing the audience, I thought the unmiked pits before 2004 sounded fine.

• Like 1

Well, representing the audience, I thought the unmiked pits before 2004 sounded fine.

Good lord, lets not get into that again.

Amplification is not going away. People can like it, or not like it. But no amount of arguing for or against it is going to change it.

I was in a pit that was around before mics where allowed........looking back, with what I know now, and what I have heard over the past years through DCI and WGI.....I wish mics where allowed. Just thinking that because of the rules that where in place, companies had to manufacture mallets that where too dense and hard for what is necessary for the instrument.

Before 2004 pits did sound fine, we made it work with we had to use and rules we had to follow. But this isn't saying the pits since 2004 do not sound better.

I know we all have an opinion, and we are allowed to. But I think we would all have a hard time finding any percussion instructor in the activity that would prefer not to have had these changes happen.

Edited by dbg
  • Like 1

Still amazing to me (even though it shouldn't after all these years) that there are so many people in here at dcp that think they know more and how to fix DCI and drum corps as a whole......but these are the same people that are not running, teaching, or designing for any corps.

Anyone can sit at a baseball or footall game and be the rowdy fan.....which is what these forums turn into most of the time......still waiting for the consistent complainers about the activity to step up and actually SHOW people what they know

• Like 3