Blue Devils and Mics

um Cavies and Coats got a ton of crap on here for it last year. sorry to kill your argument with truth and logic

Right Jeff.

To some degree it happened. But you are being dishonest if you dont admit that anything the blue devils do is scrutinized X10 compared to the DCP favorites.

I was in a pit that was around before mics where allowed........looking back, with what I know now, and what I have heard over the past years through DCI and WGI.....I wish mics where allowed. Just thinking that because of the rules that where in place, companies had to manufacture mallets that where too dense and hard for what is necessary for the instrument.

Before 2004 pits did sound fine, we made it work with we had to use and rules we had to follow. But this isn't saying the pits since 2004 do not sound better.

I know we all have an opinion, and we are allowed to. But I think we would all have a hard time finding any percussion instructor in the activity that would prefer not to have had these changes happen.

This is exactly right. The "oh... they HAVE to use mics to be heard... we NEVER had to use those be heard. We were just SOOOOOO Loud because im awesome and you guys arent". lol.

They dont (or choose to not acknowledge" that many of these percussion instruments get different sounds at the lower level with a soft mallet than you do at the upper level with a hard mallet. Of course we could all just hand kids the rock hard acrylic mallets and say "here you go guys.. .play above your eyeballs the whole show". But thats a completely different sound than you get at the lower level with a soft mallet. Listening to older shows where the ensemble is playing some beautiful passage and you hear this tight, hi pitch, "pingy" keyboard sound over top of it drives me insane. Now were in a position to be able to fix that and get great quality and correct technique and still be heard. Same with some of the brass instrument sounds out there. Do I love generally seeing brass with a mic? No. Not really. But I am also not so arrogant as to think "oh... look! The blue devils soloist SUCKS because he/she is playing near a mic! I am soooo much better than he/she is because I didnt NEED a mic to be heard"! lol. That attitude is just laughable.

Oh well. I am positive about 1 thing and that is that some people will never be convinced that they are not superior. Closed minds cant take in new information and some people do not WANT to know anything but what they already know.

• Like 1

Still amazing to me (even though it shouldn't after all these years) that there are so many people in here at dcp that think they know more and how to fix DCI and drum corps as a whole......but these are the same people that are not running, teaching, or designing for any corps.

But... they are the people who watch the show and buy the tickets and buy merch and donate to the corps, and if they see or hear things they don't like, shouldn't they say so?

• Like 1

Right Jeff.

To some degree it happened. But you are being dishonest if you dont admit that anything the blue devils do is scrutinized X10 compared to the DCP favorites.

like the Cadets?

They dont (or choose to not acknowledge" that many of these percussion instruments get different sounds at the lower level with a soft mallet than you do at the upper level with a hard mallet. Of course we could all just hand kids the rock hard acrylic mallets and say "here you go guys.. .play above your eyeballs the whole show". But thats a completely different sound than you get at the lower level with a soft mallet. Listening to older shows where the ensemble is playing some beautiful passage and you hear this tight, hi pitch, "pingy" keyboard sound over top of it drives me insane. Now were in a position to be able to fix that and get great quality and correct technique and still be heard.

I acknowledge that instruments played in a way to be heard in a football stadium will sound different than they do played indoors. But I think that those types of compromises are what make drum corps interesting. To hear music written for rock bands and pianos and symphony orchestras played by a very different instrumentation is part of the fun. Once we have guitars and pianos and strings on the field... well, it gets a lot less interesting.

You say it drives you insane to hear the instruments played with hard mallets in beautiful passages. Well, it drives me insane when the amped pit playing with soft mallets manages to totally overwhelm 80 brass players blasting from midfield. Not to mention that now if you aren't sitting between the 35s you're far less likely to hear the pit at all.

• Like 1

I wish there was a way to get an accurate assessment of how drum corps fans as a whole feel about this, and not just the people on here. I completely agree with the stance that soloists should not be miced, but what can we do about it? Everysingle thing we complain about on here, has never been changed, and its like DCI could care less. Strange considering that it takes a certain kind of fan to not only pay for tickets, but to take the time out of the day to get on here and geek out about drum corps. I understand that we on here only represent a small number of DC fans, but DCI hasnt taken any efforts to take polls or surveys on such topics, they just do what they want, or do what they are pushed around to do by directors that could make for some great lobbyests in Washington. I know my efforts in typing this, are completely in vain. But it just erks me the way some of the decisions for DCI to allow this, or to allow that, and not just on the topic of miced soloists. Too bad we couldnt have elected representatives, so that our voice could come through. Why are you still reading my stupid rant? But especially on this topic... comon soloists have been just fine for decades without having to be miced, whats the point of doing it now? To be progressive?? I dont see how. Thanks for listening to me everyone, at least someone is...

• Like 1

I wish there was a way to get an accurate assessment of how drum corps fans as a whole feel about this, and not just the people on here. I completely agree with the stance that soloists should not be miced, but what can we do about it? Everysingle thing we complain about on here, has never been changed, and its like DCI could care less. Strange considering that it takes a certain kind of fan to not only pay for tickets, but to take the time out of the day to get on here and geek out about drum corps. I understand that we on here only represent a small number of DC fans, but DCI hasnt taken any efforts to take polls or surveys on such topics, they just do what they want, or do what they are pushed around to do by directors that could make for some great lobbyests in Washington. I know my efforts in typing this, are completely in vain. But it just erks me the way some of the decisions for DCI to allow this, or to allow that, and not just on the topic of miced soloists. Too bad we couldnt have elected representatives, so that our voice could come through. Why are you still reading my stupid rant? But especially on this topic... comon soloists have been just fine for decades without having to be miced, whats the point of doing it now? To be progressive?? I dont see how. Thanks for listening to me everyone, at least someone is...

Do your favorite sports teams run it by you if you approve of a trade or who to sign with the first pick?

Does the NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS or any other governing body set someone up to monitor forums to see how they should determine their rules?

No. And it probably will not happen.

Still amazing to me (even though it shouldn't after all these years) that there are so many people in here at dcp that think they know more and how to fix DCI and drum corps as a whole......but these are the same people that are not running, teaching, or designing for any corps.

Anyone can sit at a baseball or footall game and be the rowdy fan.....which is what these forums turn into most of the time......still waiting for the consistent complainers about the activity to step up and actually SHOW people what they know

Actually, there are quite a few former and current staff members on DCP.

Edited by skajerk

Since people keep repeating this, I will keep repeating my response.

They dont HAVE to be miced. They are CHOOSING to be miced. The players now are just as good if not better than in the past. The choice to amplify the sound is just that. A choice.

Not saying anyone has to like it, just pointing out the difference between "Have to" and "choose to".

Since people keep repeating this, I will keep repeating my response.

They dont HAVE to be miced. They are CHOOSING to be miced. The players now are just as good if not better than in the past. The choice to amplify the sound is just that. A choice.

Not saying anyone has to like it, just pointing out the difference between "Have to" and "choose to".

And if you don't use all the equipment/toys/expensive piece of... like the other corps, then you are perceived as having something missing. At one time corps chose to have a pit. Now it's part of the sheets....

Edit: Just liked the old idea of knowing that any sound was coming from the performers only... without help. And if a corps was unbalanced, the performers had to make up the difference. I know todays members are very talented, too bad they don't get a chance to show it better. To rip off the old Memorex commercial: "Was it the performer, or was it the guy on the mixing board". :sad:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1