Blue Devils and Mics

I don't think this thread is a BD bashing party. IMHO it's about the state of DCI corps direction with acoustical sound or lack thereof.

BD was one of the last vestige of a great acoustic horn line.

They 'Jumped The Electronic Shark" like other corps did.

Maybe they did.

But with what you mention in mind, oughtn't we spend more time talking about the brilliance of that hornline, and spend less time complaining about / defending what is clearly, on either end, a sideline distraction (literally)? I'm not under the impression that the mics as they're currently being utilized are doing a huge amount to either supplement or diminish the bigger musical picture, which makes them both relatively useless and pretty significantly harmless, in my eyes, and also renders vehement argument a waste of time.

The mics, at present, are for the most part neither here nor there. And none of us can predict the future, despite the penchant for grand proclamations that some of us seem to have. So what's the argument, exactly?

Are we going to enjoy the sandwich, or are we going to keep arguing about the crust on the bread?

Actually the passing of rules permitting a valve on a bugle is what will lead to "anything goes" in drum corps. A&E is just another step among many that came before; not the first and not the last.

My original point was the rule that was passed allowed for amped vocals and amping anything on the field. The intent that was stated was amping pits only but what was written allowed anything to be amped. And anyone who brought up this fact was flamed, called names, etc, etc. "Oh no... they said it's for pits only, why do you hate DCI for saying they could do something else?"

Edited by JimF-LowBari

However, I think the real question is would people come back if the rule was changed?

Lot harder to come back than leave. Just so much stuff to take up your spare time when you walk away. Then if you want to come back you have to shelve some of that new stuff which may be not possible or you may not want to put away. Been there... done that... surprised I'm (partially) back.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

But with what you mention in mind, oughtn't we spend more time talking about the brilliance of that hornline, and spend less time complaining about / defending what is clearly, on either end, a sideline distraction (literally)?

Looking across all threads, I think DCP is spending more time talking about the horns, and less about the mics. But the mic thread gets drawn out by people like you arguing against the concept of others voicing opinions you don't want to hear. Silence the critics.

If things are as Plan9 says, and the Blue Devils have a master plan to maximize the audience's experience, then it is vital for the audience to provide feedback. That should include both positive feedback and constructive criticism.

• Like 3

I don't see any evidence electronics is bringing people in, despite the rationales used when it finally passed. However, I think the real question is would people come back if the rule was changed? I don't think many would leave in a significant amount.

If we're REALLY trying to get audiences into seats, the solution is simple:

All corps need to adopt a style similar to the Honda Battle of the Bands/Southern Classic (think 'Drumline' movie), and the show formats/judging also would need to conform. These events are clearly far more popular attendance wise than DCI has ever been, and the smaller judging panels would save DCI substantial money.

This format change would undoubtedly be the quickest way to more income, expanding fan base, and making the most amount of people happy.

*edit: yes, I know there is no such thing as the "Big Southern Classic," and I know that the format used in the movie 'Drumline' is fictional. But if we made the Honda Battle of the Bands similar in format to the fictional 'Big Southern Classic' from the movie 'Drumline,' I think we'd have the "best" of that world & the competitive nature of DCI.

Edited by perc2100