Blue Devils and Mics

Yeah, pretty much. We're out there doing our best to put out great music for people to listen to. If a few audience members really think that they know better how to do that, then I'd rather they just not show up, because their attitude spoils it for the people who are there for the music.

You're talking for yourself right.... not DCI?

But those young band members in the audience go nuts! So....what to do.....do we embrace technology with the goal of making DCI performances as visual and listenable as possible or dance with "the guy what brung ya".....our father's pure, untouched brass and percussion.

You don't think those kids would go nuts over Cadets 2000 or Star 91, even today? I fail to see how electronics grows the audience, but it's pretty clear to me how it can shrink it.

I will only add that it gets tiresome when posters continually reference "ticket buying and the threat of the demise of DCI, etc" to emphasize their point....I hear this enough from the gang in the other DC (the one in Washington). Suffice to say, I'm up for anything that a corps has to show me if it works, while you and others may not be. But I have no intention of threatening my support of this remarkable activity for any reason!

Sorry to be cliche. I'm not trying to speak for anyone else or say that DCI will fall apart without my ticket money. I guess I'm just realizing that the jokey "soon they'll be amping the horn line" complaints of a couple of years ago seem closer and closer to reality.

For all my complaining about A&E I still love going to drum corps shows, and I don't have any plans to stop. We talk a lot in these discussions about "how far is too far" and "where's the line" and "well, you're still watching the shows aren't you" etc. But really there are two lines: the line that you think violates the point of the activity, and the (further) line that just makes the whole thing not worth watching anymore. Obviously those lines are different for everyone.

Amping the pit I was not happy about but it wasn't the worst thing in the world. Synths bug the hell out of me, but I'm still going. So where is the line at which my complaining actually matters? I guess it's where I stop buying tickets, so that's all I meant by that comment: if I have to listen the entire corps through loudspeakers, then I don't think it's going to be worth the effort anymore. Hopefully that will never happen, but it frightens me a little that some folks here seem to think it would be okay. :sad:

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

And this is the age old dilema on DCP: The difference in perspective of those that have a frame of reference for the past and those that don't. I dare say that if some of the traditionalists (dinos :rolleyes:) on DCP saw a live Tarpon Springs High School BOA show...they would hyperventilate and need medical attention.

Why? Tarpon Springs is a marching band. They are welcome to do whatever is condoned in the context of that activity.

But those young band members in the audience go nuts! So....what to do.....do we embrace technology with the goal of making DCI performances as visual and listenable as possible or dance with "the guy what brung ya".....our father's pure, untouched brass and percussion.

Well, when marching band crowd attendance reaches the levels of drum corps, let us know. Until then, expect a hard time selling the concept of forsaking a larger audience to pursue a smaller one.

I will only add that it gets tiresome when posters continually reference "ticket buying and the threat of the demise of DCI, etc" to emphasize their point....I hear this enough from the gang in the other DC (the one in Washington).

And I find it tiresome to go year after year without good news on attendance with which to dispel that notion.

Suffice to say, I'm up for anything that a corps has to show me if it works, while you and others may not be.

....key phrase there being "if it works".

But I have no intention of threatening my support of this remarkable activity for any reason!

Often, it's not a person threatening to stop buying tickets, but rather, someone recognizing the larger attendance trend that is in play.

• Like 3

You're talking for yourself right.... not DCI?

The comment you quoted is simply in reference to another poster's comment that a saxophonist who wanted to be mic'd in his jazz performance was "being lazy". Although, I think a similar concept is true for drum corps. Drum corps is always going to evolve. You can fight it kicking and screaming, or you can go with it, but the fact is, amplification isn't going away. If it bothers a fan enough to where he really feels he can't enjoy the performance, then maybe that fan needs to accept that drum corps no longer is something he enjoys. That's unfortunate, but its a part of any evolving art form.

Why? Tarpon Springs is a marching band. They are welcome to do whatever is condoned in the context of that activity.

I was merely making a point about electronics in its extreme.

Well, when marching band crowd attendance reaches the levels of drum corps, let us know. Until then, expect a hard time selling the concept of forsaking a larger audience to pursue a smaller one.

In Florida most of the FMBC regionals and finals (St Pete) and the SE Regional BOA (Atlanta) are well attended.

And I find it tiresome to go year after year without good news on attendance with which to dispel that notion.

You can double check me, but based on the first few shows this year, DCI attendance is doing pretty well.

....key phrase there being "if it works".

Often, it's not a person threatening to stop buying tickets, but rather, someone recognizing the larger attendance trend that is in play.

:blink: Sorry, this last one befuddled me!

• Like 2

The comment you quoted is simply in reference to another poster's comment that a saxophonist who wanted to be mic'd in his jazz performance was "being lazy". Although, I think a similar concept is true for drum corps. Drum corps is always going to evolve. You can fight it kicking and screaming, or you can go with it, but the fact is, amplification isn't going away. If it bothers a fan enough to where he really feels he can't enjoy the performance, then maybe that fan needs to accept that drum corps no longer is something he enjoys. That's unfortunate, but its a part of any evolving art form.

Asked because I've seen enough "if you don't like it, just leave" posts from people who are no way affected if DCI grows, shrinks or goes under. Would be like me standing in a store that I do not work at or do not own stock and tell people if they don't like the way the store does business they should go elsewhere. First off where the Hell do I get off trying to screw with that store when it's none of my business. Secondly that hurts the employees, patrons and anyone else who needs that stores existance. Any good management would rather hear comments (gor or bad) instead of less customers. So if you're telling people not to go to your performances, that is your business. But telling people not to go to someone elses performance isn't.

For the record I don't go to DCI for various reasons. But will not tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do.

So are drum corps, though. Everything corps are utilizing today is condoned in the drum corps activity. There are probably many people who feel the same way about electronics and so forth in marching band shows. Not ALL marching bands think what Tarpon does is awesome and innovative. I've heard it called "not marching band" as much as I've heard DCI shows called "not drum corps."

• Like 1

Does anyone really think hornlines will someday just use microphones to be loud instead of playing loudly? If you do, you're really lost touch with the activity. Loud hornlines are never going away. I promise.

You know a great place to hear acoustic music? With only brass and field percussion? The lot! Where all drum corps will still play loud! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Asked because I've seen enough "if you don't like it, just leave" posts from people who are no way affected if DCI grows, shrinks or goes under. Would be like me standing in a store that I do not work at or do not own stock and tell people if they don't like the way the store does business they should go elsewhere. First off where the Hell do I get off trying to screw with that store when it's none of my business. Secondly that hurts the employees, patrons and anyone else who needs that stores existance. Any good management would rather hear comments (gor or bad) instead of less customers. So if you're telling people not to go to your performances, that is your business. But telling people not to go to someone elses performance isn't.

For the record I don't go to DCI for various reasons. But will not tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do.

I can see where you're coming from, and I'm certainly not trying to screw anyone. However, your analogy is a little flawed in a couple of ways.

First off, not all management would welcome some of the kinds of comments that are spit out around here regarding their business. If you were running a restaurant, for example, and you had a customer that routinely came to your restaurant, and complained loudly about the food, making it difficult for other guests to enjoy their food, you would rather that customer just not show up, rather than listen to his comments. The customer isn't always right.

Second, music is an art based industry, not a service industry. Audience members go to see a particular type of music because they like the way it sounds. Its not like going to a mechanic, where either he fixed your radiator or he didn't. Lots of people will have lots of different tastes. That said, I know full well that there are people out there that won't like the music I play. For example, a lot of people don't like what jazz has evolved into. They think that the jazz should be a reserved rhythm section that simply lays down a groove and stays out of the soloists way, ala Count Basie. Other people really appreciate the collective concept that came out of Miles Davis' quintet from the 60s, where everyone in the group started to have an equal voice. Neither group is wrong, as its a matter of personal preference, however a person who doesn't like the modern jazz concept, shouldn't go see a modern jazz show because they won't enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of Opera, so I don't go to the Opera. That doesn't mean I don't think anyone should go to the Opera, and it certainly doesn't mean I think that Opera musicians should do anything differently. I just recognize that that's not a style of music that I particularly enjoy, so I don't go.

Drum corps is not that different. Its a far cry from what it was in the 70's. That's not a good or a bad thing, its just different. Some people will like it. Some people won't. But nobody is going to suddenly force it to change back to what it was by complaining about it, so why waste their time and money going to a show that you know you won't enjoy? I'm not messing with DCI's fan base. Simply suggesting that if you really can't stand what you're hearing and seeing, then there's no point you going to a show.

• Like 3