Blue Devils and Mics

And if you don't feel like you get your moneys worth if a musician hasn't blown out his chops by the end of the night, then please, do us all a favor, and stop going to our gigs.

"Blown out his chops" is an exaggeration in a small venue like that, and there was no need for the drummer to play like a rock-band Muppet.

But OK...I'll follow your advice. :worthy:

Asked because I've seen enough "if you don't like it, just leave" posts from people who are no way affected if DCI grows, shrinks or goes under. Would be like me standing in a store that I do not work at or do not own stock and tell people if they don't like the way the store does business they should go elsewhere. First off where the Hell do I get off trying to screw with that store when it's none of my business. Secondly that hurts the employees, patrons and anyone else who needs that stores existance. Any good management would rather hear comments (gor or bad) instead of less customers. So if you're telling people not to go to your performances, that is your business. But telling people not to go to someone elses performance isn't.

On the other end of that coin, if DCI (or any business) tries to bend/change their beliefs & ideals to make everyone happy NO ONE wins. I have no problems telling people, "if you constantly complain about the activity and you don't march, volunteer, or work for a drum corps or DCI, then by all means stop monetarily supporting an activity you don't like: that's just common sense."

For the record I don't go to DCI for various reasons. But will not tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do.

Hmmmm....

And yet you hang out in DCI forums complaining about modern trends going on at DCI shows?!

• Like 1

The comment you quoted is simply in reference to another poster's comment that a saxophonist who wanted to be mic'd in his jazz performance was "being lazy". Although, I think a similar concept is true for drum corps. Drum corps is always going to evolve. You can fight it kicking and screaming, or you can go with it, but the fact is, amplification isn't going away. If it bothers a fan enough to where he really feels he can't enjoy the performance, then maybe that fan needs to accept that drum corps no longer is something he enjoys. That's unfortunate, but its a part of any evolving art form.

I'd like to add an addendum to this train of thought:

If it bothers a fan enough to where he really feels he can't enjoy the performance, then maybe that fan needs to accept that drum corps no longer is something he enjoys. That's unfortunate, but its a part of any evolving art form

and stop complaining about an activity that you no longer like. If you're not a part of the activity in any way, then your constant complaining is invalid.

Yea, that's kinda harsh (and I know that none of the chuckleheads will magically say, "he's right: I WILL stop trolling the DCI forums complaining about an activity I haven't been interested in for years"), but it just seems logical. For example, I personally am not a big hockey fan. I kind of tacitly follow it on occasion, and every once in awhile i'll watch a period on TV, but I'm not a fan of the sport, don't like/get the reasoning behind rules, etc. But I don't troll NHL boards constantly complaining about the trends.

I get passionate fans voicing their opinions & debating other passionate fans. I DON'T get people passionately AGAINST an activity stirring up the pot with passionate fans on said activity's forums. Lame (and illogical)

• Like 2

I For example, I personally am not a big hockey fan. I kind of tacitly follow it on occasion, and every once in awhile i'll watch a period on TV, but I'm not a fan of the sport, don't like/get the reasoning behind rules, etc. But I don't troll NHL boards constantly complaining about the trends.

So you played hockey on ice. Then they changed the rules. So now the game is played on pavement. It's still the same sport. Right?

• Like 1

I can see where you're coming from, and I'm certainly not trying to screw anyone. However, your analogy is a little flawed in a couple of ways.

First off, not all management would welcome some of the kinds of comments that are spit out around here regarding their business. If you were running a restaurant, for example, and you had a customer that routinely came to your restaurant, and complained loudly about the food, making it difficult for other guests to enjoy their food, you would rather that customer just not show up, rather than listen to his comments. The customer isn't always right.

Or if, say, the restaurant was a gourmet seafood restaurant and the person came in and said that hated seafood and wanted the restaurant to change their menu to Italian food, or some other taste that fit specifically to that complainer & his friends.

Second, music is an art based industry, not a service industry. Audience members go to see a particular type of music because they like the way it sounds. Its not like going to a mechanic, where either he fixed your radiator or he didn't. Lots of people will have lots of different tastes. That said, I know full well that there are people out there that won't like the music I play. For example, a lot of people don't like what jazz has evolved into. They think that the jazz should be a reserved rhythm section that simply lays down a groove and stays out of the soloists way, ala Count Basie. Other people really appreciate the collective concept that came out of Miles Davis' quintet from the 60s, where everyone in the group started to have an equal voice. Neither group is wrong, as its a matter of personal preference, however a person who doesn't like the modern jazz concept, shouldn't go see a modern jazz show because they won't enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of Opera, so I don't go to the Opera. That doesn't mean I don't think anyone should go to the Opera, and it certainly doesn't mean I think that Opera musicians should do anything differently. I just recognize that that's not a style of music that I particularly enjoy, so I don't go.

The jazz analogy is a BRILLIANT analogy! There is such a division between jazz fans as far as the older style music and what is the modern style: and I'm not even talking about people who's only reference to jazz is old school big band! Music is music, and all styles can be appreciated to an extent. But people's tastes wildly vary, and you really can't please all the people all the time.

Drum corps is not that different. Its a far cry from what it was in the 70's. That's not a good or a bad thing, its just different. Some people will like it. Some people won't. But nobody is going to suddenly force it to change back to what it was by complaining about it, so why waste their time and money going to a show that you know you won't enjoy? I'm not messing with DCI's fan base. Simply suggesting that if you really can't stand what you're hearing and seeing, then there's no point you going to a show.

Agree 100%

So you played hockey on ice. Then they changed the rules. So now the game is played on pavement. It's still the same sport. Right?

Like field hockey?

Yes

edit: and funny thing about that. I live in So Cal, where field hockey is much more prevalent as a scholastic sport due to the obvious issue of not exactly having a plethora of ice rinks in So Cal. I actually had a debate with a pretty big hockey fan about the validity of field hockey, and he told me that it was similar enough to give kids the experience of hock w/out an ice rink.

Also, the person who was a supporter of field hockey grew up in the mid-west and played ice hockey all through middle & high school. So he was coming at me as both a fan AND an 'alumni.'

Edited by perc2100

"Blown out his chops" is an exaggeration in a small venue like that, and there was no need for the drummer to play like a rock-band Muppet.

But OK...I'll follow your advice. :worthy:

I'm sure the musicians would appreciate it, I know I've hated hearing this kind of nonsense as a jazz performer. "Saxophone not playing loud enough". Pfff.

On the other end of that coin, if DCI (or any business) tries to bend/change their beliefs & ideals to make everyone happy NO ONE wins.

You mean, like if DCI tried to add something totally foreign simply because it is ubiquitous in popular music....like electronics?

• Like 1

I'd like to add an addendum to this train of thought:

and stop complaining about an activity that you no longer like. If you're not a part of the activity in any way, then your constant complaining is invalid.

Yea, that's kinda harsh (and I know that none of the chuckleheads will magically say, "he's right: I WILL stop trolling the DCI forums complaining about an activity I haven't been interested in for years"), but it just seems logical. For example, I personally am not a big hockey fan. I kind of tacitly follow it on occasion, and every once in awhile i'll watch a period on TV, but I'm not a fan of the sport, don't like/get the reasoning behind rules, etc. But I don't troll NHL boards constantly complaining about the trends.

I get passionate fans voicing their opinions & debating other passionate fans. I DON'T get people passionately AGAINST an activity stirring up the pot with passionate fans on said activity's forums. Lame (and illogical)

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Right Jeff.

To some degree it happened. But you are being dishonest if you dont admit that anything the blue devils do is scrutinized X10 compared to the DCP favorites.

I didn't say that. I just said they got a ton of crap for doing it.

helps when you read what i type and not read into what I type