Blue Devils and Mics

To make the restaurant analogy work though you have to mention that it is the ONLY restaurant that featured your now-discontinued favorite food. If there were multiple drum corps circuits all offering the same level of excellence but suited to different tastes regarding instrumentation, show design, etc., no one would be complaining about DCI.

In reality, do you think ANY corps treats Podunk HS's show the same way they treat Finals? Even San Antonio? Or Allentown? Not in an ideal world, in reality. No. No corps treats the small, local shows the same way they treat important shows. The performance levels are still so high that it's sometimes hard to tell. That's just a fact. There may be INDIVIDUALS who feel differently but you can tell when a group is really firing on all levels above and beyond what they are being called upon to do. Just a fact. No disputing it.

Never mind smaller local shows...we were taught that run through's were the same as any other performance! So yes, I dispute your "fact."

It's the whole idea of practicing performance. Every time you do the show, you should be performing it to the best of your ability. Each and every time you perform is a chance to perform the heck out of it and make it one step closer to perfect!

What I was trying to say is this. Not everyone who draws a link between A&E and declining attendance is threatening to withhold their own personal ticket-buying support of the activity. In fact, I suspect some posters are genuinely interested in seeing DCI remain viable by retaining a customer base of sufficient size, no matter what creative direction they choose to pursue. The concern they have is that some creative directions (perhaps the current one) might fail to attract that necessary number of supporters.

I guess my point is that by all indications....attendance is better this year (even in a very $$ challenging environment). Jeff's point concerning shrinking numbers of corps and dwindling HS feeder populations may or may not be true. I suppose with the 8-10 corps turning applicants away and some of the others coming up short of members...his point is valid. But that's a marketing issue....and (fortunately or unfortunately) the by-product of a competive activity. In other words, some potential MM's will not march unless they can get in their fav corps.

BUT........back to my point....you must admit that there is a discussion strategy that occurs routinely on these boards that speaks of dying fan base and crumbling traditions (IMO to the point of nausea) that is designed to bolster a point of view. As an example, BD's little soiree into avante garde jazz and other visual explorations was seen as a monstrous trend that would surely bring the activity down around us. When in reality it was only one corps (maybe two) going in that direction. Meanwhile most of the rest are doing traditional music and visual design but are they're lost in the argument. It would be much more honest to say, "Look, I admit I'm mostly angry about the fact that they are beating the snot out of more traditional designs that I like. No, DCI is not going to hell in a hand basket... but I don't want corps rewarded for shows I don't like!"

• Like 1

Never mind smaller local shows...we were taught that run through's were the same as any other performance! So yes, I dispute your "fact."

It's the whole idea of practicing performance. Every time you do the show, you should be performing it to the best of your ability. Each and every time you perform is a chance to perform the heck out of it and make it one step closer to perfect!

Approaching a performance consistently regardless of the venue is vastly different than the REALITY of the matter. No one disputes that EVERY run-through needs to be approached as a performance. No one. That is also a fact. But that's a DIFFERENT fact.

BUT........back to my point....you must admit that there is a discussion strategy that occurs routinely on these boards that speaks of dying fan base and crumbling traditions (IMO to the point of nausea) that is designed to bolster a point of view. As an example, BD's little soiree into avante garde jazz and other visual explorations was seen as a monstrous trend that would surely bring the activity down around us. When in reality it was only one corps (maybe two) going in that direction. Meanwhile most of the rest are doing traditional music and visual design but are they're lost in the argument. It would be much more honest to say, "Look, I admit I'm mostly angry about the fact that they are beating the snot out of more traditional designs that I like. No, DCI is not going to hell in a hand basket... but I don't want corps rewarded for shows I don't like!"

Or maybe people actually believe what they post here.

I can, also, see that you probably would not come back. Maybe once in a while, to see if your favorite meal was back, but eventually you will stop coming, and hope to find that meal elsewhere...

Good analogy, but you left out another alternative. Perhaps when you go back "once in a while" you find that you really enjoy one of their new dishes...maybe not as much as the chicken parm...maybe more. Who knows?

There is also the potential for a number of new customers...young kids going out on their first date, new people to the neighborhood. This is how they have always known the restaurant and they like it.

So, it is really up to the restaurant. They have to understand that in bringing in and keeping these new customers, they may drive out some of the old ones. It is a balancing act, but they need to do what is best for them.

• Like 1

Does anyone really think hornlines will someday just use microphones to be loud instead of playing loudly? If you do, you're really lost touch with the activity. Loud hornlines are never going away. I promise.

You know a great place to hear acoustic music? With only brass and field percussion? The lot! Where all drum corps will still play loud! :thumbup:

Did anyone ever think the a&e, mic'd brass and mic'd voice rules would pass a few years back? I would say very few did. Just sayin'. :cool:

Do you guys think the electronics are bringing new people to drum corps? Do you think if A&E rules were reverted to 2003, that that would turn a lot of fans off of drum corps? It seems to me the bigger risk is sticking with A&E. It's more gear to buy and maintain, another staff member (presumably, at least for most corps), and it obviously drives a lot of long-time fans nuts. So it seems to me that it needs to be really clearly a benefit to keep the rules in place.

Or maybe people actually believe what they post here.

No argument there! But IMO, it loses its impact when coupled with forecasts of doom. We live with that crap everyday in our national political debate and it's manipulative and mostly BS designed to solicit our agreement.

• Like 1

Did anyone ever think the a&e, mic'd brass and mic'd voice rules would pass a few years back? I would say very few did. Just sayin'. :cool:

I remember someone (Gadget?) saying that the rules made all these things legal and he got flamed for being a fear monger. He didn't say it would happen, just that it would be legal.

Edited by JimF-LowBari