Blue Devils and Mics

Approaching a performance consistently regardless of the venue is vastly different than the REALITY of the matter. No one disputes that EVERY run-through needs to be approached as a performance. No one. That is also a fact. But that's a DIFFERENT fact.

I'm not sure I understand you.

It's a binary concept. Either every run-through is treated as a performance, or it isn't. Same fact.

The difference here is, I'm not squawking anything about DCI. I simply made a suggestion. Last time I checked, it wasn't against the law to make suggestion. If I have a friend that continually goes to a restaurant, and every time, he complains about the food, or the service or whatever, then yes, I would suggest to him that he stop going there. And I certainly wouldn't want to listen to him complain about it when there is a clear alternative to him being upset. Nobody is forcing him to go to that restaurant. He knows he won't enjoy going, and yet he continues to go, and then complain.

No, you didn't say that being nasty was necessary, however the poster I was responding to was in fact being nasty by suggesting that the musician he went to see was "being lazy". He has no idea what that musicians motivation is, and has no right to make that kind of assumption. I'm not saying that DCI shouldn't listen to comments being made, but posting on a message board doesn't tell DCI anything.

The point is, complaining about something doesn't help. Fans who don't like what DCI is can do a couple of different things. They can try complaining directly to DCI. They can stop going to shows, or they can go to shows and try to actually enjoy what the activity has become. But going to a show that you know you won't like, and then complaining endlessly about it just irritates everyone around them. That is my point.

Now, as to whether or not DCI should/will listen to the "old school" crowd. Whether you think they should or not, they won't. Again, the activity has always evolved. People were angry when the grounded front ensemble started. People were angry when Bb horns showed up. People were angry when Asymmetrical drill started. The activity has always moved forward, and while the dissatisfied crowd is always vocal, they are also usually the minority. People are always more motivated and vocal when they are upset about something than when they are happy about it. The fact is, as younger members come up having known nothing but electronics in their marching bands, and in their drum corps, they aren't upset by it. Is amplification going to draw more people in? Maybe not, but its not driving people away in droves the way that some people might suggest.

OK, think we're looking at things from different ways and discussing different pieces so our discussion isn't that connected. Nothing wrong with that but no sense spending tons o' time trying to get us both looking south when you're looking east and I'm looking west <$1 to guy at work>. It's been a civil discussion so :thumbup:

He wasn't the only one. Ream and myself (among others) both said that the passing of a&e would open a "Pandora's Box" for the future legalization of "anything goes" drum corps.

Hater... :devil:

LOL, someone just offered me some black licorice and I said I don't like it. Wonder why they didn't tell me to quit complaining about it... :cool:

• Like 1

OK, think we're looking at things from different ways and discussing different pieces so our discussion isn't that connected. Nothing wrong with that but no sense spending tons o' time trying to get us both looking south when you're looking east and I'm looking west <$1 to guy at work>. It's been a civil discussion so :thumbup:

Yeah, it seems like we agree without really being able to articulate that (at least on my end). Know that in no way am I trying to mess with DCI's fan base. At the end of the day, I'm still a fan. Some people won't be. I suppose that's just life.

So audio... Dig up about a hundred more of these or what you have proven is that last year there were 6 complaints about the cavaliers use of mic'd soloists... I bet we get there with BD before the end of next week!

I don't think this thread is a BD bashing party. IMHO it's about the state of DCI corps direction with acoustical sound or lack thereof.

BD was one of the last vestige of a great acoustic horn line.

They 'Jumped The Electronic Shark" like other corps did.

He wasn't the only one. Ream and myself (among others) both said that the passing of a&e would open a "Pandora's Box" for the future legalization of "anything goes" drum corps.

Actually the passing of rules permitting a valve on a bugle is what will lead to "anything goes" in drum corps. A&E is just another step among many that came before; not the first and not the last.

• Like 1

Actually the passing of rules permitting a valve on a bugle is what will lead to "anything goes" in drum corps. A&E is just another step among many that came before; not the first and not the last.

I thought it was the switch to Bb? Or was it asymmetrical drill? So many lawless orgies that have happened in drum corps due to rule changes, it's hard to keep up :tongue:

• Like 1

I guess my point is that by all indications....attendance is better this year (even in a very $ challenging environment). Jeff's point concerning shrinking numbers of corps and dwindling HS feeder populations may or may not be true. I suppose with the 8-10 corps turning applicants away and some of the others coming up short of members...his point is valid. But that's a marketing issue....and (fortunately or unfortunately) the by-product of a competive activity. In other words, some potential MM's will not march unless they can get in their fav corps.

BUT........back to my point....you must admit that there is a discussion strategy that occurs routinely on these boards that speaks of dying fan base and crumbling traditions (IMO to the point of nausea) that is designed to bolster a point of view. As an example, BD's little soiree into avante garde jazz and other visual explorations was seen as a monstrous trend that would surely bring the activity down around us. When in reality it was only one corps (maybe two) going in that direction. Meanwhile most of the rest are doing traditional music and visual design but are they're lost in the argument. It would be much more honest to say, "Look, I admit I'm mostly angry about the fact that they are beating the snot out of more traditional designs that I like. No, DCI is not going to hell in a hand basket... but I don't want corps rewarded for shows I don't like!"

shrinking numbers of corps is well documented Plan. Go look how many there were 10 years ago. and with music budgets getting slashed nationwide, if not eliminated all together, it's not hard to see it's an issue. How is it, with far worse marketing than DCI has now, they had more corps with more bodies? hmmmm.

I think had the Cesario project and fan complaints not reached RMFL levels last year ( RMFL is a dynamic marking....it means really mother ####### loud....), it may have continued.

But I think when the corps saw the financials from one of the smaller paid attendances in DCI finals history...a show they get a chunk of money from...it may have opened some eyes, as well as cesario and fan reactions.

Do you guys think the electronics are bringing new people to drum corps? Do you think if A&E rules were reverted to 2003, that that would turn a lot of fans off of drum corps? It seems to me the bigger risk is sticking with A&E. It's more gear to buy and maintain, another staff member (presumably, at least for most corps), and it obviously drives a lot of long-time fans nuts. So it seems to me that it needs to be really clearly a benefit to keep the rules in place.

I don't see any evidence electronics is bringing people in, despite the rationales used when it finally passed. However, I think the real question is would people come back if the rule was changed? I don't think many would leave in a significant amount.

and we know one person will keep proposing woodwinds and won't quit til he wins.

• Like 1