Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

for arguments sake, what would happen if a corps went out and played all recorded music, accented here and there by an ensemble of horn and drum players.  for arguments sake, say it is a full 150 member corps (although it could be lets say 50 members)  From a timing standing point, the live music is played along side the recording just during the large impact moments of basically whole notes with miked horns (lets say for a total of 2-3 minutes of live in person playing) and all difficult parts are 1-2 persons being miked.  Oh, and the recorded music was of the corps at a prior date and the volume is comparable to the same decibels as acoustic preforming corps. As I understand the current rule, or lack their of, the corps would have to be judged as though it was playing live 100% of the time.  It should receive no penalty on the judging sheets and be adjudicated completely comparable to those corps who play through the whole show live without mikes.

Edited by brians

On 7/2/2011 at 1:15 PM, perc2100 said:

Heck, it doesn't even happen when the LA Philharmonic performs in the cavernous Hollywood Bowl, though, FWIW, they DO have several ambiance mic's to ensure a well balanced sound for everyone in the huge amphitheater

The CSO and Grant Park orchestra in Chicago also both use presence microphones at Ravinia and Millenium park, respectively, for their outdoor programs. I have also seen this with the BSO at Tanglewood on the lawn. 

Amping a brass line should be an insult to brass players. Amp the pit or a soloist if anything...an entire brass line? Then march 30 brass and 60 color guard. 

• Like 2

Before I comment, a little about me ... I never marched DCI (but almost did!), but have been a fan for quite a while. In addition to being a brass guy, I play guitar and bass, and have run sound semi-pro for a lot of years, so I'm not at all opposed to the concept of amplification, microphones, etc. - in fact it's a passion of mine, and I know my way around mic technique, power systems, digital boards (i can make the Behringer X32s that a lot of corps use dance). I love synths, love a big loud rock concert - I'm no luddite.

When I was growing up, the church I went to had a big old pipe organ, and I loved that sound ... loud, earth moving, resonant, with a sound that enveloped you. While I was in college, that church replaced that pipe organ with a "great new electronic organ, state of the art!" ... and when I first heard it, my heart sank. Sure, it was loud, and it could do things the pipe organ couldn't do - but the soul of that room was gone.

There are a bunch of pros and cons on this issue, but to me the big one is what the essence of drum corps is. There are always changes, and I think a lot of them have been good: I think today's corps have the best brass and percussion lines ever, doing things the "classic" corps 20 years ago never did with better quality and intonation. The visual programs are way more involved and sophisticated, and that's a good thing. The things that scares me, though, is that one of the fundamentals of drum corps is the visceral feeling of a loud, but natural, group of instruments playing together with precision. A loud drum corps is a totally different animal than a loud rock concert - neither is right or wrong, but they are different. To me, that difference is a corps part of the identity of drum corps: the feeling, and knowledge, that what I'm hearing is a natural, organic thing is a key part of what this activity is.

I saw a video the other day of a bunch of kids sitting in a Carolina Crown circle as they let it rip - and seeing those kids' jaws drop is what will make those kids lifetime fans (and members). If we lose that and "loud" is just somebody buying 1000 watts more amp than somebody else, I'm afraid that drum corps will devolve into being just another amplified stage show.

Change can be good - but as we change we always need to be thinking about what we want the identity of the activity to be. While some will fight every change, I think many of them are good - but the notion of amplifying entire ensembles I think is one that we should step back from, and make sure that we're keeping some of those "corps" attributes solid.

• Like 7

Very well written, btwa!

Some amplification additions in drum corps are simply wrong. That special sound and rush we get from a massive, talented drum corps brass line should not be tinkered with by turning-up a plastic dial.  We need confidence in knowing these special musicians are truly so naturally talented, and in full control of their individual contributions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

You “Perception is the only form of Reality” folks certainly are among the greatest jesters ever placed here on this earth; I will give you that.  But as for my character assessment of those who judge in DCI, it is straight in my mind not out of my delusional perception reality, but based on the fact that I have personally known, in actual reality, many of the adjudicators for many years; and I can attest that they do indeed bleed integrity and honesty.

Finally, something on which we can agree - ask some of them if they can be "fooled" by miking trends . . .

One more for your entertainment:  many/most corps vocal soloists now have digital backup samples, in case they're not feeling it at a show - Mini Vanilli lives!!!  That competitively ethical?  (And, if you're paying attention, you HAVE been fooled by it before.)

• Like 1

Carolina Crown gets to join this elite CLUB of MIC'ing the ENTIRE hornline...SAD and LAME

• Like 1

After tonight and my shows last year I'm about at my limit with this and have had it with thunderous goo.  There were two hornlines amping their lines that DEFINITLEY did not need to and two that seem like they're doing it to boost their volume and it just sounded bad.  More on that later.......

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

After tonight and my shows last year I'm about at my limit with this and have had it with thunderous goo.  There were two hornlines amping their lines that DEFINITLEY did not need to and two that seem like they're doing it to boost their volume and it just sounded bad.  More on that later.......

I think I know which corps you're talking about and I don't disagree