Massillon, OH Show Thread

DCI Massillon (Pro Football Hall of Fame)  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Bluecoats / SCV -- who you got?

• Bluecoats baby!!! Is there any other way?
    • It's staircase madness! Eureeeeeeeeeeeeeeka!!!

We thoroughly enjoyed last night's show in general. Loved BK's and LOVED SCV's shows, although I DID NOT like BK's ending. It seemed like they were getting ready to do a quiet ending heading to the right endzone when they suddenly stopped playing, there was some more singing, and then the announcer saying "The Blue Knights!" :huh2: What was that all about? I also didn't get the pre-show singing: if you can't understand the words or know in advance what it is, how does it add to the show? This show is good enough w/o it.

And I know this has been harped on ad nauseum but PLEASE...EVERYONE turn down the amplification on the marimba/vibraphone instruments. You have, in some cases, 10 of the things down there - BITD we could hear 2 just fine.

Really liked BAC's show in general but the ballad would have been MUCH better w/o the cloth. You are already getting the ethereal impact from the silks. Also, what's with the two lights underneath the cloth? My first thought was of a kid staying up at night reading comic books under his bed covers.

As far as the show organizers/DCI: they surely knew about the line of storms coming from the west early on -- there are posts in this thread mentioning it WELL before the start of the show. So why not get rid of the intermission? They could have gotten at least Cadets and probably Phantom on. And what's the deal with starting the show early? If they did it to get a jump on the storm, why not get rid of intermission also? As was mentioned previously, there were NO UPDATES provided AT ALL.

• Like 1

I understand Bloo put on an impromptu standstill in the lot after the cancellation. Did anyone see it?

I stood right in front of it. At approx 11PM, Hornline arced up on their own, with the rest of the corps, staff, admin, alumni, parents and fans in attendance. They started with a low brass arrangement of Salvation is Created, then went on to Autumn Leaves. The electricity in their sound was tangible. They changed the chilly evening with their warm wind. Everyone cheered them on to play more...and they did. They performed another emotional, unforgettable rendition of Creep. The crowd wanted more...the members wanted to play more. They played the entire closer, and a hype piece from their warmup. They finished off the evening with "Hey Soul Sister."

Although the members were clearly "going for it" in this "unreal" environment, the interplay between musicians and the family-oriented crowd made it more real than any competitive show could do. One of DCI's best hornlines performed last night, in the dark and mist, letting go of all emotion from this difficult season. A hornline worthy of the Jim Ott, but is instead stigmatized by hiccups in design and judging history; practically forgotten.

I will never forget this evening. Thank you, Bloo Hornline.

• Like 5

I call Shenanigans on this show......:blink:

Was Al Chez judging this show too, If your corps performs poorly, just blame Al. LOL

• Like 2

I was at the Massillon show as well. We bought tickets at 4:15 that afternoon and I was on the 45, side two three rows from the top. While it was crowded, it was not standing room only. That is a great stadium to watch and hear drum corps, but it is old and not real convenient with a large crowd.This was a killer line up though.

Having been to a million drum corps shows, I should have known better than to stay around once they announced an indefinite delay. Once I saw Hop, and two other directors walking around on the field with their phones blazing, I should have known to bail. Updates during the delay would have been great. Maybe telling the folks which side of the stadium was east and which was west would have helped too. (They had designated sections for taking cover.) This situation was handled poorly, but I have actually seen much worse and at major DCI events. We just happened to be talking to one of the field judges when they called it, or we would have wondered around for a bit longer.

Three questions - all BAC related.

1. During the closer, the battery comes back to focus after being scattered during the ballad. One of the snares suddenly had a white plume on his shako instead of red like the others. I am assuming he grabbed the backfield DMs shako by mistake? Did anyone else see this? It certainly was not by design right? Anyone?

2. The lights under the scrim. How long has that been in the show? How often have we seen lights in a DCI show? It was trying to recall last night, but nothing came to mind.

3. I never caught a Conquest quote in the show. I seem to recall one in every show prior to this one. Did I miss it? I am usually quite good at catching that (to my wife's annoyance I might add) Is it in there?

Some very strong performances by the corps that did get to do a run. Bummed to miss the last three.

MIKE

Bill, you missed it.

I was at the Massillon show as well. We bought tickets at 4:15 that afternoon and I was on the 45, side two three rows from the top. While it was crowded, it was not standing room only. That is a great stadium to watch and hear drum corps, but it is old and not real convenient with a large crowd.This was a killer line up though.

Having been to a million drum corps shows, I should have known better than to stay around once they announced an indefinite delay. Once I saw Hop, and two other directors walking around on the field with their phones blazing, I should have known to bail. Updates during the delay would have been great. Maybe telling the folks which side of the stadium was east and which was west would have helped too. (They had designated sections for taking cover.) This situation was handled poorly, but I have actually seen much worse and at major DCI events. We just happened to be talking to one of the field judges when they called it, or we would have wondered around for a bit longer.

Three questions - all BAC related.

1. During the closer, the battery comes back to focus after being scattered during the ballad. One of the snares suddenly had a white plume on his shako instead of red like the others. I am assuming he grabbed the backfield DMs shako by mistake? Did anyone else see this? It certainly was not by design right? Anyone?

2. The lights under the scrim. How long has that been in the show? How often have we seen lights in a DCI show? It was trying to recall last night, but nothing came to mind.

3. I never caught a Conquest quote in the show. I seem to recall one in every show prior to this one. Did I miss it? I am usually quite good at catching that (to my wife's annoyance I might add) Is it in there?

Some very strong performances by the corps that did get to do a run. Bummed to miss the last three.

MIKE

Bill, you missed it.

1) wasn't at show, can't answer this question.

2) lights have been in scrim for about a week and a half or so. Not sure if we've had light illumination before in a Corps competitive performance or not. Its a good question, imo.

3) no... no "Conquest" hits in closer this year. Corps does not always have "Conquest" hits in closer, just a lot of times. (Corps does play full "Conquest" in encore perf. this year however.)

Edited by BRASSO

I stood right in front of it. At approx 11PM, Hornline arced up on their own, with the rest of the corps, staff, admin, alumni, parents and fans in attendance. They started with a low brass arrangement of Salvation is Created, then went on to Autumn Leaves. The electricity in their sound was tangible. They changed the chilly evening with their warm wind. Everyone cheered them on to play more...and they did. They performed another emotional, unforgettable rendition of Creep. The crowd wanted more...the members wanted to play more. They played the entire closer, and a hype piece from their warmup. They finished off the evening with "Hey Soul Sister."

Although the members were clearly "going for it" in this "unreal" environment, the interplay between musicians and the family-oriented crowd made it more real than any competitive show could do. One of DCI's best hornlines performed last night, in the dark and mist, letting go of all emotion from this difficult season. A hornline worthy of the Jim Ott, but is instead stigmatized by hiccups in design and judging history; practically forgotten.

I will never forget this evening. Thank you, Bloo Hornline.

This is like rubbing salt in our wounds...why didn't they announce this? Pretty much sums up the entire season for me. :sad:

For those of you who missed the show, and want to see the Bluecoats final run-through before Indy, msg me and I will send you the link.

Boston in the news. Go to Bellefontaine Examiner online news paper. All are welcome.

This is from last night. Baaaaston you rocked :)

g2e22e20000000000009832be2397de7ee87f946d70a3193f05e0efaeb5.jpg

Edited by superOOk