Can the the kids marching today do this?

I think todays kids are aware of their competitors shows as long as they are in enough of the same competitions. A number of corps do enough of the same shows for this to happen.

It was also a lot easier BITD because there were so many more recordings available.

It seems there was a show being recorded somewhere almost every weekend, and it wasn't unusual to find LPs of a show from a couple weeks earlier outside the stadium at the record tables.

Do today's DCI kids even play the CD's/Mp3's in their cars?, and would they recognize their competitors show?

They absolutely listen to drum corps - just as much as we did. We had a kid join the Renegades who knew the shows from all of our junior corps days, and was able to tell us what we played BITD.

They absolutely listen to drum corps - just as much as we did. We had a kid join the Renegades who knew the shows from all of our junior corps days, and was able to tell us what we played BITD.

I'm thinking this post gives new meaning to BITD. Because I think of then and I think the sixties ... that was BITD.

As far as the identity goes. The top 12 have a distinct sound still.

If you gave me blind recordings of each top 12 corps playing the exact same warmup, I'd easily be able to identify 6 of them.

You are so not getting it.

And I will not even begin to begin to explain why.

It was also a lot easier BITD because there were so many more recordings available.

It seems there was a show being recorded somewhere almost every weekend, and it wasn't unusual to find LPs of a show from a couple weeks earlier outside the stadium at the record tables.

I don't know about that. Between APD's, U-tube vids and the sheer volume of electronic devices members have access to....I'd say there are far more recordings available.

I don't know about that. Between APD's, U-tube vids and the sheer volume of electronic devices members have access to....I'd say there are far more recordings available.

I respectively disagree.

(Grin)

The sheer number of *recorded* shows BITD dwarfs the total number of contests these days...

(Longer seasons, more corps, more shows)

For example, each year there were various State VFW and/or AL championships (NY, PA, NJ, CA, ILL etc.), VFW and AL Nationals, CYO Nationals, Shriners International, World Open, US Open, National Dream, various Circuit Championships like Penn-York, Penn-Jersey, NY-Canadian, Red Carpet, Northeastern, Garden State, Greater New York et al.

Not to mention regional shows like Fresh Air Fanfare, Mission Drums, Grand Prix, Evening With The Corps, Barnum Festival, Garfield Invitational, Hershey Invitational, Music in Motion, Serenade in Brass, Cavalcade of Drums, Cavalcade of Champions, Echoes In The Valley, Pow-Wow of Junior Champions, Nutmeg Melodies, March of Champions, Parade of Champions, Steel City Spectacle of Music, Drums in the Night, Symphony in Brass, Tournament of Drums - and LOTS more.

You could buy recordings of ALL of these shows.

(It might be fun to make a comprehensive list - in a separate thread, of course...)

In any event, back to the topic at hand!

Heh...

And each show the corps perform at, shows up on U-tube (this doesn't include the number of rehearsals all through the summer that the corps makes available themselves, and the ones recorded and posted on U-tube)....where's the difference?

I don't know that there were more shows....the season was longer, but the shows were mainly on the weekends...these guys have shows all week long.

I respectively disagree.

(Grin)

The sheer number of *recorded* shows BITD dwarfs the total number of contests these days...

(Longer seasons, more corps, more shows)

For example, each year there were various State VFW and/or AL championships (NY, PA, NJ, CA, ILL etc.), VFW and AL Nationals, CYO Nationals, Shriners International, World Open, US Open, National Dream, various Circuit Championships like Penn-York, Penn-Jersey, NY-Canadian, Red Carpet, Northeastern, Garden State, Greater New York et al.

Not to mention regional shows like Fresh Air Fanfare, Mission Drums, Grand Prix, Evening With The Corps, Barnum Festival, Garfield Invitational, Hershey Invitational, Music in Motion, Serenade in Brass, Cavalcade of Drums, Cavalcade of Champions, Echoes In The Valley, Pow-Wow of Junior Champions, Nutmeg Melodies, March of Champions, Parade of Champions, Steel City Spectacle of Music, Drums in the Night, Symphony in Brass, Tournament of Drums - and LOTS more.

You could buy recordings of ALL of these shows.

(It might be fun to make a comprehensive list - in a separate thread, of course...)

In any event, back to the topic at hand!

Heh...

I don't know that there were more shows....the season was longer, but the shows were mainly on the weekends...these guys have shows all week long.

I checked that the Cadets did 32 shows last year. That's pretty close to what the corps did decades back. Some years in the 1980s, the Cadets and Madison did more than 40

contests per season (heck the Cadets WON 41 contests in '83!), but most corps didn't approach those numbers.

I checked that the Cadets did 32 shows last year. That's pretty close to what the corps did decades back. Some years in the 1980s, the Cadets and Madison did more than 40

contests per season (heck the Cadets WON 41 contests in '83!), but most corps didn't approach those numbers.

I hate to start any post with "yeah, but ..."

But yeah, but where and when are you going to get 41 corps in the same place at the same time at one contest?

That was the draw BITD. Dozens of corps participating in a prelim show (and you always kinda knew who would be in the finals) and there were the Moms and Dads and the fans and all the stuff that went with that every weekend. From May to (most times) September.

Granted we were not the professional musicians or the studied clinical spot-by-spot drill, hyperventilating granola munching, gym sleeping herculean athletes who have to spend thousands of dollars for the honor of being treated like third class citizens ... but 41 wins a season must be worth something. And from what I hear, the Cadets haven't purchased new uniforms in decades ... Now that's history.