Shako chin straps

I'd like to see all tymp players wearing overseas caps. No prob bending over.

Of course ... I'd like to see a tymp line on the field again. Four players, four different parts, all wearing shakos, all marching as an integral part of the rest of the battery and all actually playing music.

Tymps72.jpg:worthy:

It was synchronicity at it's most beautiful.

Yeah, I know ... :satisfied:

Puppet

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes all the way back to Drum Corps military roots. A chin strap was origianlly designed to keep the head gear on, but during WWII it didn't take the guys long to figure out that the concussion from an artillary shell could snap their necks, so they either began tying it behind their helmets or just let it dangle. Better to lose your helmet than your head. Today military helmets are designed with safety bindings so the strap will release when the preasure gets too great. Anyway, that's why chin straps are tradionally worn above the chin and directly below the lower lip.

Edited by Piper

It goes all the way back to Drum Corps military roots. A chin strap was origianlly designed to keep the head gear on, but during WWII it didn't take the guys long to figure out that the concussion from an artillary shell could snap their necks, so they either began tying it behind their helmets or just let it dangle. Better to lose your helmet than your head. Today military helmets are designed with safety bindings so the strap will release when the preasure gets too great. Anyway, that's why chin straps are tradionally worn above the chin and directly below the lower lip.

That makes sense. Thank you!

I'd like to see all tymp players wearing overseas caps. No prob bending over.

If you mean like a military side cap, it wouldn't really have worked with our uniform.

Like a lot of drum lines, our battery hyped on chewing the hell out of the straps.

Hi. My name is Dave. I'm a drummer that used to chew the Hell out of my chin strap.

HI, DAVE...

• Like 1

Our horns wore them resting on the chin. Like a lot of drum lines, our battery hyped on chewing the hell out of the straps.

We didn't wear shakos in 27th (duh.....) but I did wear one with my CYO band. As a drummer - yes - I was known to chew on it.

I'll gamble and say - most drummers that wore shakos kept that chin strap between their lips.

Of course ... I'd like to see a tymp line on the field again. Four players, four different parts, all wearing shakos, all marching as an integral part of the rest of the battery and all actually playing music.

Tymps72.jpg:worthy:

It was synchronicity at it's most beautiful.

Yeah, I know ... :satisfied:

Puppet

When men were men :worthy: Note - no "legs" to rest or lean on during the show. I played timp with 27th in 1973 - just when many other corps were going to the bulky McCormick's Timp Harness and took their drums off during concert. Blue Stars wore them - they looked terrible. We were so proud to carry those monsters without legs during the entire show.

Horn staffs would argue for one timp player - that's 3 players that could be in the hornline.....

We didn't wear shakos in 27th (duh.....) but I did wear one with my CYO band. As a drummer - yes - I was known to chew on it.

I'll gamble and say - most drummers that wore shakos kept that chin strap between their lips.

I know what you mean. Corps like 27 or the Cavs or SCV either wore or wear their straps under their chins, which doesn't look too bad, but on skakos it looks kind of well...I don't know..."geeky"?

HI, DAVE...

THANKS FOR SHARING, DAVE!

Oh. but in order to worry about the strap,

Fixmyshako.jpg

first you had to get the sucker (I mean shako!)on your head!

:w00t:

Edited by Puppet