1. 1. Favorite VK Show

• 1986 - James Bond
    • 1987 - Magical Mystery Tour I
    • 1988 - Magical Mystery Tour II
    • 1989 - A Velvet Knight in Tunisia
    • 1990 - Summer Vacation, Hollywood Tour
    • 1992 - Magical Mystery Tour III

BILL!!!!

Get your BUTT down to So Cal Dream brother....Sam needs help! J/K!!!

If that's the case, it's probably his hands I need, not his butt!!

I was just happy to get off the podium alive! If you attend any other Dream shows this year, check out how I ham it up when I come down...and hopefully the audience will rfeact to me at Glendora (I've got a plan for right after the warmup...just to see if they're paying attention)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Ryan & Sam, my intentions have always to march again, be it with SCD or a WGI World Guard (I can do that now), but right now I can't commit the way I would need to. I drag my daughter to enough high school band rehearsals and she's already at the point where, "I hate band daddy". So I don't want to burn her out on the experience before she ever gets in it. So who knows when, but I'll be there.

Yes there are a lot of VK alum all over the So. Cal. Drum Corps scene yet I didn't see ONE VK Corps jacket the WHOLE night, other than mine. It seems to me that there are alot of alum who are embarrassed to say they marched VK.

I have this arguement a lot with people who say, why did you march there when you could have march up north? My thought is that if I wanted to march I could have, but for me I was practicly born and raised VK from the Cadet Corps on up. I held VK in such high esteem that I thought I wasn't good enough to march and went to a small Div. I Corps from WA. (Spartans) in 88. (silly me).

Anyway back to the topic. I LOVE all of VK's shows but for me sitting back and watching 88 and the reality that not for a bad draw (thanks to said meantioned Ellis Carter) they could have been a top 6 Corps.

89 had the drumline (early season wins over the northern drumlines) and the hornline, the visual program missed Bobby Hoffman the most.

90 Had the best show concept away from the Magical Mystery Tour shows. the only problem was the ending. The show never climaxed to the great VK endings of 87, 88 & 92.

I was down on the field in 92 waiting for the shark to come out of it's den. When it did, WOW. The crowd ate it up. It one thing for a audience to be loud, but to drown out a full Corps charging the front side line and you can barely hear them was one of the coolest feelings in the world. It would be hard for someone to convince me that Cavies (who won) got as good of a end of show reaction.

Edited by Ex VK DM

Just seeing who amongst us old time marchers (scary to think I aged out almost 15 years ago) can still recall the glory days of the Velvet Knights.

Hey...come march with SoCal Dream if you're anywhere near SoCal...we've got a LOT of ex-VK dudes in the corps...from almost all years (including John McCoy, Walter Counts, Wayne Ball (a former VK DM himself) and many more!

WHAT i GET NO PROPS SAM? THERE GOES THE REST OF YOUR HAIR! ^0^

Edited by contrasteve2001

'92. If I recall correctly, that show had everything including the kitchen sink....

You're thinking of 88 when the corps actaully brought a sink to finals.

Thanks for clarifying.

'88 was a close second as one of my favorites, so that could explain the mixup. :) I still remember laughing myself into a coughing fit when the bull relieved himself on the matador at Whitewater.

Hay fever and hilarity are NOT a good mix.

Well Ryan & Sam, my intentions have always to march again, be it with SCD or a WGI World Guard (I can do that now), but right now I can't commit the way I would need to. I drag my daughter to enough high school band rehearsals and she's already at the point where, "I hate band daddy". So I don't want to burn her out on the experience before she ever gets in it. So who knows when, but I'll be there.

Yes there are a lot of VK alum all over the So. Cal. Drum Corps scene yet I didn't see ONE VK Corps jacket the WHOLE night, other than mine. It seems to me that there are alot of alum who are embarrassed to say they marched VK.

I have this arguement a lot with people who say, why did you march there when you could have march up north? My thought is that if I wanted to march I could have, but for me I was practicly born and raised VK from the Cadet Corps on up. I held VK in such high esteem that I thought I wasn't good enough to march and went to a small Div. I Corps from WA. (Spartans) in 88. (silly me).

Anyway back to the topic. I LOVE all of VK's shows but for me sitting back and watching 88 and the reality that not for a bad draw (thanks to said meantioned Ellis Carter) they could have been a top 6 Corps.

89 had the drumline (early season wins over the northern drumlines) and the hornline, the visual program missed Bobby Hoffman the most.

90 Had the best show concept away from the Magical Mystery Tour shows. the only problem was the ending. The show never climaxed to the great VK endings of 87, 88 & 92.

I was down on the field in 92 waiting for the shark to come out of it's den. When it did, WOW. The crowd ate it up. It one thing for a audience to be loud, but to drown out a full Corps charging the front side line and you can barely hear them was one of the coolest feelings in the world. It would be hard for someone to convince me that Cadet (who won) got as good of a end of show reaction.

Hey Bill I know what you mean I bring my 10 yr old son down now and again and it drives him nuts, but he still has fun and if you bring your daughter they will both have someone to hang with.

As far as a fav.V.K. show how on earth can you overlook 84 the first time we broke into finals ...enuff said??? we had the lifeguard station Jaws a break dancer and a lionel ritchie chart ...o and the worst uni's possible!!!

I really enjoyed the 1984 show. I saw it only once, however, and that was at Whitewater. That was probably the first drum corps show I ever saw from the stands. I laughed my fool head off, and the music was great! At the end of the show, they formed a big "Pac-Man," and kinda shuffled off the field! I'm very into the "serious" stuff, but there's GOT to be a corps like that somewhere in the line-up!

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Edited by vibraphonusrex

1992 hands down. One of the only shows that actually made me laugh out loud. Really ticked me off too. As a member of the Freelancers, we werent supposed to like vK but y'all were just too danged funny!

I really enjoyed the 1984 show. I saw it only once, however, and that was at Whitewater. That was probably the first drum corps show I ever saw from the stands. I laughed my fool head off, and the music was great! At the end of the show, they formed a big "Pac-Man," and kinda shuffled off the field! I'm very into the "serious" stuff, but there's GOT to be a corps like that somewhere in the line-up!

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

thats what made vk special was we were very serious, but it did'nt show thru because we would work our ##### off for hours at practice and when it was show time and it came time for a comedic bit we poured everything we had into it

I was just happy to get off the podium alive! If you attend any other Dream shows this year, check out how I ham it up when I come down...and hopefully the audience will rfeact to me at Glendora (I've got a plan for right after the warmup...just to see if they're paying attention)

You'll have to get my approval first, Sam. ^OO^ or <**>

I was down on the field in 92 waiting for the shark to come out of it's den. When it did, WOW. The crowd ate it up. It one thing for a audience to be loud, but to drown out a full Corps charging the front side line and you can barely hear them was one of the coolest feelings in the world. It would be hard for someone to convince me that Cadet (who won) got as good of a end of show reaction.

Yep, the crowd noise blew out the field mic.

(by the way, Cavies won that year. Not Cadets :P )