East Coast Inflation

lol No, I was referring mostly to your FIRST post in this thread (before anyone asked for your opinion on changes) where you informed us that judging is difficult and then suggested we try out this new thing, which just so happens to have been the standard for many years. lol

I'm not trying to get a rise out of you. I'm only pointing out that you like to talk like you're some sort of authority on the subject but have yet to show any grasp of basic history. And that's fine if you have no desire to know anything about drum corps history...but understand that you've made it difficult for many here to take anything you say as a serious point.

At least you figured out who Jim Mason is. :cool:

now now now we realy dont know what experience this person has , cant assume anything I guess. Hell I could look at your signature and say theres only 3 years there...lol.. :tongue: BUT i see where you are coming from ,DCP does seem to get all the authorities.....lol..hey I have over 30 yrs experience and a family history in the activity going back more than 50 years, Ive done DCA and still teach WC in DCI as well as judged in the past and I'm still not an authority.....lol

Some thoughts can be out there but iVE FOUND PICK APART EVEN THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS OF IDEAS AND SOMETIMES SOMETHING HIDDEN CAN ACTUALLY WORK.

Wait a minute. Did I just awaken from a coma?

I just got back from Michigan City

I don't know. I wasn't in Michigan City this weekend, but ' hope your feeling better anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

While I must concede the obvious point that you can't compare corps based on numbers from different shows, I would DCI call him a coward or indecisive for not making a judgement call. They'll say to him "you can't honestly say that with the thousands and thousands of performance and design factors between the two corps, that they actually tied!" And maybe you agree with DCI..

So how are you supposed to know who's better than who? Go on youtube and listen and watch for yourself.

1) if DCI is so concerned with " ties " being a bad thing, isn't it reasonable to assume that a mechanism would have been put in place by DCI by now to determine clear cut " winners " in the event of " ties " ? Are you aware that DCI has had " ties " at Championships for their " Champion " and without a mechanism in place for determining the " winner " they left it as " Co- Champions " ? So ties, is not something that judges would " be fired for " as you said, in my opinion.

2) Also.. if I do as you suggest, and go on " youtube " to watch and listen to the Corps there, are all the Corps there shown from the same show ? And how exactly do we know which percussion section is" better"... or which Guard section is " better" from youtube, if I played a brass instrument ? I wouldn't know a well executed paradiddle from a well executed dance or guard equipment move. So what is " better " I leave to the knowledgeable and trained judges in their captions of expertise. What I " like " however, I can get on Youtube. I have a longstanding deal with the DCI judges. I don't tell them which Corps show performance is " better ", and they don't tell me which Corps show performance I " like ".

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

This thread has kept pretty civil, I'm proud of everyone for that! I know the economy is bad and it affects everything, including DCI. With the small panels it does provide for some weaknesses or strengths to be hidden by what is or isn't judged. That said they're doing the best they can with the resources they have and I don't think changing the scoring system is an answer. I too say nothing really means much til you compete head to head. But scores do have some meaning or noone would compete til the first big show in MN. It's easy to say well it doesn't matter, but I guarantee to the staff and kids on tour it does, otherwise they'd not care about competition. It will all even out and the big shows will tell us whats up, just mostly discussing this and not ranting! :)

Wes P

I don't think changing the scoring system is an answer.

Wes... DCI feels differently. They will have a new judging system in place for next season according to Cesario.

Most of the California shows have been on full panels this season. Since first regional was at DCI West at Stanford (which is full panel), Stockton was full panel too, and Clovis wasn't. Atascadero show was only 5 judge too. But San Diego, Walnut, and tonight's show (Riverside) are all full panel shows. It is full panel now till end of season. I think west coast scores might have truer numbers because they have already seen a few full panel shows.

• Like 1

Wes... DCI feels differently. They will have a new judging system in place for next season according to Cesario.

Yeah saw that, things evolve, I'll keep an open mind. DCI has a scoring system that I wish my state would adopt instead of the rating system we're on. Dont know too much about new system, sure it will be good as well!:)

I was wondering the same thing...

So was I. The one year Cadets starts off in Cali, east coast starts inflating the scores. :blink:

This is why, except in very very few cases,judges judge by what uniform is on the field.

If the Cavies switched unis with Madison, the scores would still be higher for the Cavies uniform.No doubt about it. That is why sports a great because an eighth seeded team could beat a top seed in sports but that would never happen in any drum corps show.

• Like 1

This is why, except in very very few cases,judges judge by what uniform is on the field.

If the Cavies switched unis with Madison, the scores would still be higher for the Cavies uniform.No doubt about it. That is why sports a great because an eighth seeded team could beat a top seed in sports but that would never happen in any drum corps show.

This is so true!! Edited by banddad1