Brief Bridgeport Review

Phalanx, terrific review!

As you can tell, a bunch of folks don't necessarily agree with you....LOL... but hey, reviews are reviews. One person's opinion of a show. Thank you for posting your thoughts!

It was a good night in Bridgeport... a nice change of pace for me to just be a fan in the stands. And GREAT weather.

It was wonderful to see Bob Glovna out on the field perfoming with Park City Pride. That, right there, made my day! :thumbup:

• Like 2

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, they don't. This is something that is getting under my skin these last few years. And before anyone says anything- I understand, the Judges are people too, and it's impossible for them to erase the slate and judge fresh every week. However in today's activity it seems like it's almost impossible for a corps to have a chance to move in either direction every week. We have all seen it before. Corps A beats Corps B by a point one week, than the following week Corps A has a bad performance, an "off night" and Corps B has a great performance. Corps B will still be below Corps A.

Even on the new sheets and judging system, looking at the recap from Bridgeport, the two corps that lights up the crowds and had an energized performance still didn't get those extra points properly. Maybe I am not understanding the "communication" column correctly but I though it was supposed to "reward" the groups that had a great show that night. In Bridgeport, IMO, it didn't.

Well, the Cabs did "close the gap" a little. Maybe it was because of their better performance. Of course, the Bucs had a good performance too. You also have to keep in mind that if (in the eyes of the people judging) show A is a better designed show than show B, show A may win even if they have a lesser performance. With that being said, a reviewer said that when the Bucs are bad it is still better than everyone else's good. That is a bigger hurdle to jump before we talk about beating them.

... then again, you may have been referring to other groups that beat the Cabs. I cannot comment on them, though they may fall under the same reasoning.

• Like 1

Good review, Phalanx. I sat there and had quite a few surprises, both good and bad.

Some short briefs:

Fusion squeezed every ounce out of that brass section. Does Carol O'Brien get an award for dm of the most corps in DCA history?

Loved the Cabs' ballad. Sweet, sultry, sonorous.

Props to Park City Pride for keeping the spirit alive for the eighth straight season.

Halfway through Bucs' show, I wanted to hear it again.

I'd pay to see combined Bellbottoms do "Flamenco Cha Cha."

Watch the Hurcs' drum line this year--and prepare to get scared. They are absolutely hellacious. The pit alone, IMHO, is on a par with Reading, and that is saying a ton. Just give them the Finals best guard award. Right now.

I want to see ES and Cabs in August.

Brassmen shocked me. I remember (not that long ago) seeing them in parades with 12-13 horns. This is a solid, well-sorted alumni/exhibition corps now. Peter Horton and Bob Vitti have done simply a tremendous job.

It was wonderful to see a packed JFK stadium. I hope the low price worked out for the Barnum folks in the end.

I think the Hall of Fame is invalid until they honor Maurice D. Knox Jr.

My fifth of a dime.

Ace

• Like 2

If that is true, they are under the 35-member minimum. Did the rule get repealed, or is that not an accurate head count?

+8 pit

Dont worry about the Bushwackers people, The corps will be fine, No matter what people want to write on here.

• Like 1

On another note:

Did anyone else notice that the woman who sang the Star Spangled Banner was channeling Christina Agulera :shutup:, very nice voice though. Other than that,it was a great night of drum corps from start to finish.

On another note:

Did anyone else notice that the woman who sang the Star Spangled Banner was channeling Christina Agulera :shutup:, very nice voice though.

I hear ya, Frank.... the abridged version. LOL.

Phalanx, I appreciate your taking the time to review the show, and respect your opinions. However, I would to clarify the situation about the 'Encore' that the two Hawthorne corps were asked to play. These things are not always explained to the public, unfortunately:

1) It was not their idea to do it, they were asked by the Barnum organizers to do it in lieu of a victory concert by the winner.

2) Our management tried to convince the organizers it should have been done prior to retreat, not as an afterthought when folks wanted to leave, or hear a victory concert.

3) Because of the timing of it, yes, it did take an inordinate amount of time for the two corps to set up, whereas they could have been ready far more quickly right after the alumni finished. Again, not our idea.

Not making excuses or apologies -- just trying to give the 'back story' to what was a somewhat awkward position for my corps to be in. I can tell you, few if any of the participants from both corps were happy about it at all. The alumni corps members were out there on the field for the better part of an hour from the time they entered until they finally got to march off. It really was asking too much of them to be out there that long, in my opinion.

As for the competing corps being 'a mess,' I respectfully disagree, but I fear my view would be considered biased. Suffice to say, I spoke with several folks who were pleased with what they saw and how they performed. They felt the corps showed a big improvement over the first contest. I just hope judges keep an open mind and judge the performance of any given contest. There's still a lot of season left to go.

Thanks for letting add my two cents.

Bravo!! Thank you for your two cents!

• Like 1

On another note:

Did anyone else notice that the woman who sang the Star Spangled Banner was channeling Christina Agulera :shutup:, very nice voice though. Other than that,it was a great night of drum corps from start to finish.

Pretty funny how she skipped a section of the song.

Edited by KevinMcKeon89