Brief Bridgeport Review

Phalanx, terrific review!

As you can tell, a bunch of folks don't necessarily agree with you....LOL... but hey, reviews are reviews. One person's opinion of a show. Thank you for posting your thoughts!

It was a good night in Bridgeport... a nice change of pace for me to just be a fan in the stands. And GREAT weather.

It was wonderful to see Bob Glovna out on the field perfoming with Park City Pride. That, right there, made my day! :thumbup:

You come to my hometown and don't stop down to the track to say hello! :thumbdown:

Glad you liked the show!

Cabs - Were a mess. I sat around a group of people who believed, after it was all over, that the Cabs should have won the show(which appears to have been a common sentiment). I wholeheartedly disagree. The nature of their music is exciting, and really gets a crowd going. That's just the nature of the music though, it was performed to varying degrees of excellence. The hornline was loud, but at times it just sounded like everyone was playing different rythyms at full volume, which just blends together to form I don't know what. Also, the drill was a mess. The rotating company front at the end is something that was executed much more effectively by their alumni corps. The guard was solid and well staged throughout. The guard uniforms I wasn't so sure about, but they grew on me throughout the show. Personally, I think they should put their main guard performer in a more distinct dress. She performed extremely well, but I lost her amongst the other guard at times. Lastly, where's the beef? and by beef, I mean drumline. Very small drumline, that got swallowed up by the rest of the corps. I know they've made some personnel changes in the drumline, not sure how well that's working for them yet. Overall and contrary to the people around me, I agree with the placement and believe the spread was appropriate.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, it's never easy and you're never going to please everyone. Also, with writing it up comes the responsibility that you will have some rebuttles.

I'm first to admit I have some bias as a proud alumnus of the Cabs. However, I try (keyword try) to be open minded as much as possible. My counterpoint is, I would not call the corps a Mess by a long shot. Dirty feet, yes, messy at times, yes. However, knowing the work ethic, they can and will work hard this should will be much cleaner in a few weeks. Also, the drum line was not very small, I have marched Cabs when we have had a "very small drumline", and 6 snares are not a very small drumline.

Again, can't deny that work has to be done, as every corps out there was far from crystal clean, including the Bucs (they were the closest to clean though), I think I just take exception with the word "MESS". Especially so early on in the season.

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, they don't. This is something that is getting under my skin these last few years. And before anyone says anything- I understand, the Judges are people too, and it's impossible for them to erase the slate and judge fresh every week. However in today's activity it seems like it's almost impossible for a corps to have a chance to move in either direction every week. We have all seen it before. Corps A beats Corps B by a point one week, than the following week Corps A has a bad performance, an "off night" and Corps B has a great performance. Corps B will still be below Corps A.

Even on the new sheets and judging system, looking at the recap from Bridgeport, the two corps that lights up the crowds and had an energized performance still didn't get those extra points properly. Maybe I am not understanding the "communication" column correctly but I though it was supposed to "reward" the groups that had a great show that night. In Bridgeport, IMO, it didn't.

I'm not sure what you're hoping to get from the communication caption. First, it's only a caption that carries 10% weight. I'm not sure how big of a spread can be achieved by a corps who may be the most entertaining to the crowd, but not achieving elsewhere. I understand that it only takes a tenth to win the championship, but the overall spread from top to bottom in that caption will probably not be the decision maker.

Secondly, when the communication caption is also being judged by the effect judges, they are also being influenced by how they judge effect and relating that to communication. Personally I don't think you can judge communication when you are evaluating the how's and what's of the effect caption. IMO, communication should be a totally seprate judge or judges that simply takes it all in and determines if it does entertain and communicate to the audience. I also understand the slippery slope this presents. What is entertaining or entertainment? And here in lies the debate.

Edited by jkmummer
  • Like 1

Secondly, when the communication caption is also being judged by the effect judges, they are also being influenced by how they judge effect and relating that to communication. Personally I don't think you can judge communication when you are evaluating the how's and what's of the effect caption. IMO, communication should be a totally seprate judge or judges that simply takes it all in and determines if it does entertain and communicate to the audience. I also understand the slippery slope this presents. What is entertaining or entertainment? And here in lies the debate.

Agreed. I would think it would make more sense to have the Show Coordinator, who is down on field level during each corps performance and spends his/her time during each performance watching the corps and the audience, put down that number. Having to pay an additional judge just to work a caption that is 10% of the total score doesn't seem fiscally responsible where as the coordinator is already there and can make an accurate read of the crowd.

Agreed. I would think it would make more sense to have the Show Coordinator, who is down on field level during each corps performance and spends his/her time during each performance watching the corps and the audience, put down that number. Having to pay an additional judge just to work a caption that is 10% of the total score doesn't seem fiscally responsible where as the coordinator is already there and can make an accurate read of the crowd.

You seem to think the Communication sub caption is an applause meter. It isn't. It's a measure of how the corps communicates the program to the audience. Audience reaction can and is part of that, but it goes way beyond who claps loudest.

Though to be fair, the corps that had the highest score in Communication in Bridgeport was the corps that deserved it (Reading). They were also the only corps that had sporadic standing ovations *during* their performance, in addition to the one at the conclusion of the show (one as the opener ended, one as Mambo ended).

Cabs had a really nice audience moment at the end of the introduction, but it really fizzled from that point on. They didn't really get a big pop until they trooped the stands. Hurcs got a really nice hometown redaction, but nothing near what Reading received. Statesmen were well received, but didn't get a big reaction (which is no surprise, as their show is only a skeleton right now, with none of the typical Statesmen "shtick" in yet).

• Like 1

Phalanx, terrific review!

As you can tell, a bunch of folks don't necessarily agree with you....LOL... but hey, reviews are reviews. One person's opinion of a show. Thank you for posting your thoughts!

It was a good night in Bridgeport... a nice change of pace for me to just be a fan in the stands. And GREAT weather.

It was wonderful to see Bob Glovna out on the field perfoming with Park City Pride. That, right there, made my day! :thumbup:

Though I was not there, THIS is something I would have really enjoyed seeing..... Good to see my friend Bob is back on the field! worthy.gif

Good review, Phalanx. I sat there and had quite a few surprises, both good and bad.

Some short briefs:

Fusion squeezed every ounce out of that brass section. Does Carol O'Brien get an award for dm of the most corps in DCA history?

Loved the Cabs' ballad. Sweet, sultry, sonorous.

Props to Park City Pride for keeping the spirit alive for the eighth straight season.

Halfway through Bucs' show, I wanted to hear it again.

I'd pay to see combined Bellbottoms do "Flamenco Cha Cha."

Watch the Hurcs' drum line this year--and prepare to get scared. They are absolutely hellacious. The pit alone, IMHO, is on a par with Reading, and that is saying a ton. Just give them the Finals best guard award. Right now.

I want to see ES and Cabs in August.

Brassmen shocked me. I remember (not that long ago) seeing them in parades with 12-13 horns. This is a solid, well-sorted alumni/exhibition corps now. Peter Horton and Bob Vitti have done simply a tremendous job.

It was wonderful to see a packed JFK stadium. I hope the low price worked out for the Barnum folks in the end.

I think the Hall of Fame is invalid until they honor Maurice D. Knox Jr.

My fifth of a dime.

Ace

Thanks Ace.... worthy.gif (I know I'm not the only one that agrees with you about Moe)

You seem to think the Communication sub caption is an applause meter. It isn't. It's a measure of how the corps communicates the program to the audience. Audience reaction can and is part of that, but it goes way beyond who claps loudest.

Though to be fair, the corps that had the highest score in Communication in Bridgeport was the corps that deserved it (Reading). They were also the only corps that had sporadic standing ovations *during* their performance, in addition to the one at the conclusion of the show (one as the opener ended, one as Mambo ended).

Cabs had a really nice audience moment at the end of the introduction, but it really fizzled from that point on. They didn't really get a big pop until they trooped the stands. Hurcs got a really nice hometown redaction, but nothing near what Reading received. Statesmen were well received, but didn't get a big reaction (which is no surprise, as their show is only a skeleton right now, with none of the typical Statesmen "shtick" in yet).

Thanks John, at some point I had to work today, and would've said the same thing about your example of an Applause Meter. "CLAP NOW" and get a number!!!!

Edited by jkmummer
  • Like 1

Thanks John, at some point I had to work today, and would've said the same thing about your example of an Applause Meter. "CLAP NOW" and get a number!!!!

I am aware that the communication sub caption is NOT an applause meter. I never thought it was. Just so we are on the same page.

Edited by irishbugle

All corps aspire to better because of the Bucs dominance. No one is sitting back trying to compete for 2nd place.

By the way, weren't the same people complaining when the Brigs were dominant from the late 90s! GO DCA!

Shields UP, Mr. Sulu!

My two cents....

Probably related to the same folks who were talking about breaking up Reilly in the late 50s and Cabs in the early 60s, et cetera, et cetera.

You work hard to build a NEW champion with the current champion in your sights.

This is nothing new, as many corps over the years have found themselves at the top of the heap, with other corps setting their sights on THEM.

FWIW, Reading has found the right staff to do the job for some years now and the members believe in them and their mission. Others will have to continue to set their goals much higher, until they achieve what the Bucs have.

And, again, JMHO.

Ray