Fathom Events

I've seen so many comments on here about the (lack of) volume in the theater events. I've had the theater manager shine me on that they're turning it up. I'm convinced that the source audio is there, so how do we get a real db level that somewhat represents the source material?

I've seen so many comments on here about the (lack of) volume in the theater events. I've had the theater manager shine me on that they're turning it up. I'm convinced that the source audio is there, so how do we get a real db level that somewhat represents the source material?

MAX VOLUME!

This was extremely irritating at the first theater broadcast, they were asked to turn it up numerous times. You can't sit in a regular movie without earplugs half the time the DTS is so loud, not really sure what the problem with the DCI broadcasts.

Perhaps DCI should be boosting the sound on their end. Face it. Theater operators are going to be lazy. I expect they do not change the sound levels in their theaters, well, ever. This is why the sound is great for most movies with a packed theater and deafening loud in a theater with only a few people. I certainly don't think any of them are turning the sound DOWN for these events. So, it seems DCI should play into this and dial up the sound on their end. I doubt anyone will ever complain about it being too loud...

At the cinecast this year, which was the first movie theater DCI event I've attended, I found that the between-corps commentator audio was uncomfortably loud once the theater turned up the volume to barely-acceptable levels on the performances. I assume the commentators' voices were all in the center channel(s?), so I'm not sure if that's a mixing error on DCI's part or on the theater's part... did anyone else have this experience?

I have been going for several years now, some theater managers will turn it up (only slightly) and some won't turn it up at all. After going in June I decided not to go again, it was that unsatisfying.

Not sure why DCI/Fathom can't recommend the correct volume to the theaters, turn it up on thier end, or whatever it takes to solve this problem. It is mystifying to me why we have this issue 5 years after the inception of this product.

They should call it 'Big, Not Nearly Loud Enough, and Live'

Somewhere in the threads from last summer is a really awesome explanation from a knowledgeable sound person regarding the issues with live broadcasts vs. commercially available films.

I do agree that this needs to be fixed. What is Fathom Events' part in the broadcast in terms of technical details? Is it all on DCI's shoulders or does Fathom have something going wrong on their end regarding sound mixing and field performance?