Magical Middleton (Madison) Maddness and Mayhem

Nothing like a little thread hijacking.

Ah, that doesn't surprise me. I'll walk into a room in my house with great purpose, holding a screwdriver in one hand and a tube of toothpaste in the other and stand there wondering why I'm there. And when I realize I have absolutely no idea why, I put the screwdriver in the refrigerator and the toothpaste on top of the microwave and go sit down on the living room couch, where I find my keys inside the comics section of the newspaper from the day before.

Some day it'll be worse. You'll be so old you'll have no need for toothpaste, you'll be found shuffling around looking for your keys to a car they took away 6 years ago, you 'll see a screwdriver and forget whats its used for, and you'll be convinced the wonderful staff that tucks you in at night are all DCI judges sent as a courtesy to your facility by DCI HQ.

Edited by BRASSO

Watching the Cavaliers show last night went something like this for me:

Oh... look at what they're doing over there...wait! What's that over there, oh darn I missed it... Hey, there's a guy on stilts. Ooooo look at they guy without a headdress.... a horn player upside down? Wait now there's about 10 guard members on stilts....hey what are they playing.... yikes now lots of horn players are upside down....whoa, do they have different hats this year..... and on and on. At about the 10 minute mark, I started feeling sick to my stomach from all the motion and frantically swiveling my head back and forth and... this has been going on a long time, isn't the show over yet? Wait, what's going on over there?

I would need to see this show about 20 more times to take it all in..

Oh... look at what they're doing over there...wait! What's that over there, oh darn I missed it... Hey, there's a guy on stilts. Ooooo look at they guy without a headdress.... a horn player upside down? Wait now there's about 10 guard members on stilts....hey what are they playing.... yikes now lots of horn players are upside down....whoa, do they have different hats this year..... and on and on. At about the 10 minute mark, I started feeling sick to my stomach from all the motion and frantically swiveling my head back and forth and... this has been going on a long time, isn't the show over yet? Wait, what's going on over there?

This is kind of how I felt about last year's show. I really, really liked it in the early part of the season, but by finals, they had added in so much random stuff, just for the extra "maddening" effect, that the show was very cluttered and lacked clarity. I enjoyed them much more in June because then the show was much more about great music and drill and guard, and not mostly about being mad (plus they did not use screamer mics). I have enjoyed what I've seen from Cavies so far this year..... hopefully the same thing doesn't happen again.

Some day it'll be worse. You'll be so old you'll have no need for toothpaste, you'll be found shuffling around looking for your keys to a car they took away 6 years ago, you 'll see a screwdriver and forget whats its used for, and you'll be convinced the wonderful staff that tucks you in at night are all DCI judges sent as a courtesy to your facility by DCI HQ.

If that ever happens, a positive thing is that I'll be able to comprehend more DCP posts than I currently do.

If that ever happens, a positive thing is that I'll be able to comprehend more DCP posts than I currently do.

Good, Granny Smith down the hall will probably STILL need some 'splainin'. You could be put in charge of that.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. I usually love the Cavaliers - and I thought a lot of things were fun (bases laying on top of their drums playing, upside down tenors, etc.) - but I really was underwhelmed with the guard's program. I know it was fresh and unique and maybe it will grow on me - but I was expecting Rifiki to raise Simba to the sky at the end. Maybe next weekend I'll just focus on the rest of the corps and enjoy their antics (and I mean antics in the most fun sense). And the recorded portions of Nature Boy were horrible - hopefully it was just their sound system last night - and, being a fossil, it just seems wrong to discuss sound systems with drum corps but that's just the way it is now.

Loved the Troopers show - even if I was making fun of the road. I know their ending was "enhanced" - but it still blew me away.

Madison - EXCELLENT show! I was on my feet numerous times and cannot wait to see the show again next weekend.

We had some people with us who had never been to a show before and it was interesting to see their reaction to the various corps:

Colts " they were good!"

Troop - "Wow"

BC - "singing?"

Bluecoats - no real reaction

Madison - "WOW!!!" "That was fabulous"

Cavaliers - entering the field - "what the heck", during the show - "what is everyone laughing/clapping/cheering aboutt?" (they were distracted by so much going on on the field they couldn't enjoy the antic of the moment).

Encore - WOW again.

Scores: They were surrprised that Madison didn't score higher - which was followed by a discussion of a rebuilding corps, corps politics and slotting.

It was a good night in Middleton. Nice weather, great drum corps, and a few laughs with friends. Now...off to Minneapolis.

Getting ready to head to Dubuque, but a few thoughts on last night in Middleton.

Great show overall, a few sprinkles during the last half of the show, but nothing bad at all.

Kilties-Very nice show. A few intonation problems, and the marching positions looked a little funny at times, but overall one of their better shows in the last decade.

Colt Cadets-wow, I am impressed with this show. This was definitely a step up in programming, and it looked like the ages may have been younger, as there was one kid who didn't look older than 10 in the hornline. Nice sound, colorguard was fairly solid for a feeder corps.

Legends. Very nice show, only 3 colorguard unfortunately. Nice sound, great drumline. Better performance than Colt Cadets, but not quite as exciting of a program. I was impressed though.

Troopers. Nice show, the colorguard is looking alot better than a week ago. I am not completely sold on the program, but it does have quite a few nice moments. Crowd was excited for the first time in the evening. Very nice performance overall. I don't see this as top 12, but could pull in around 14th.

Colts- I wasn't sure I was going to like this program after the first viewing online, but I have to say it is a great program live. Colorguard has some very nice work. Hornline sounded very solid. I am not sure why they didn't beat Troopers in Colorguard, visual GE or horns. This is definitely a step away from typical Colts programming, and it really worked for them. I don't see this program making top 12 either, but definitely a great show.

Boston Crusaders-Very nice show. I like the way they were able to do Les Mis without it sounding like a dulicate of Cadets 89. Very nice presentation of their show. Very nice colorguard, and lots of great moments throughout the show. I as very surprised they aren't scoring just a little bit higher than they are.

Bluecoats-Very nice show last night. A few things in the show don't seem to work, and the middle falls a little bit flat. But the opener and closer are great. Crowd didn't seem to react to them as well as the other top corps performing.

Madison Scouts-They had the crowd from the opening note, and didn't lose them at all during the show. This is definitely the crowd favorite from the night, possibly because it is their home show. Hornline sounds fantastic, and lots of great visual moments throughout the show. I am surprised they aren't scoring closer to Bluecoats, but I am also surprised Boston isn't closer to Scouts in scores as well.

Cavaliers-What an impressive show, there is just so much going on. I suppose to some degree it reminds me a little of the Cadets 2006 show, where there was also so much going on. There are a lot of gimmicks in this show, but they pull them off well, and it really does work within the theme concept of the show. There were definitely more wow moments with them than anyone else in the evening, and while Cavaliers got more applause during their show, Scouts definitely got louder applause.

Definitely a fantastic night of drum corps. My wife and I totally enjoyed every single corps performing, and look forward to 3 more exciting days of drum corps.