Best Closer Ever?

Cadets 2000 wins best closer for me, for sure.

Though I do like Madison's closer this year.

I do like this one as a closer, it is the high point of this show, but I'm just not sure about it's classic status.... Even in terms of Madison. There's Ice Castles, Memories, the closers from 95-99, I even love the 2006 one.

But the all time best closer for me has to be........ BOTTLE DANCE!!!!!!!

I really don't think anything can compare to that, either the '70s and '80s version, or the '92 version, which I think moved the stands in Madison back more than a few feet.

That said, to the person who said "You need to hear the lyrics," I feel compelled to point out that the lyrics to that song's chorus make absolutely no sense. "Concrete jungle where dreams are made of?" Don't you mean "concrete jungle that dreams are made of" or "concrete jungle where dreams are made?" This has always bothered me, despite my love for that song (and Jay-Z's lyrics, as opposed to what some hip-hop-hating old-man said earlier).

A fair bit of Jay-Z's lyrics to the song are about how wonderful he thinks he is: he's "the new Sinatra", he "made you [i.e., New York] hot", and he "made the Yankee cap more famous than a Yankee can". (I'll grant that an enormous ego can thrilling to witness, be it Falstaff, or Big and Rich, or, if you'll pardon this old man, Eminem or Kanye West; but Jay-Z has nothing like the forceful personality needed to match his masturbatory lyrics.) Then, in contrast to his fame and fortune, Jay-Z observes that New York is hell for most people who come there hoping to succeed, as for example: "Mommy took a bus trip, now she got her bust out / Everybody ride her just like a bus route." Ain't he grand?

On the other hand, the line you specifically question (sung by Alicia Keys) is listed on some websites as "concrete junge where dreams are made, oh", which does work, filler syllable notwithstanding.

• Like 1

Good ending to a good show? Getting there.

Best closer ever? No. Not by a long shot.

• Like 2

I don't think the importance of "Empire State of Mind" lies in the lyrics is how it relates to the show. Completely, anyways. It moreso just encompasses the idea (this is what I got out of it anyways) that even after the city suffers a tragedy like 9-11, it still holds a particular spirit and funk that makes New York, New York.

But another good closer, I loved 2010 Crown's reprise of Mahler's 2nd.

• Like 1

PR 2003 and 2008 have it topped, sorry (imo) and many others that i wont bother listing. By august it might be top 10 of the past 10 years.

By the way.... what was Phantom closer in 2008? I would not consider that show to have an actual "closer."

Every show has a closer, better known as an ending? I was referring to when Koji said "I am Spartacus" to the end.

If that is your definition of a closer, then it is very difficult to compare those 60 or so seconds of music which just brings back the theme from the beginning and the ballad with an entire 3-4 minute song like ESOM. To me, a traditional closer is a solid piece of music with its own thematic material arranged specifically to be the closing number of a show.

Edited by Tez

My favorite closer: Star 93 - Medea's Dance of Vengeance. In fact, that's probably my favorite "movement" of drum corps ever.

^ Not really sure about Star 1993. The final few sets were just curve-linear drill, moving around randomly, and then they made a giant triangle, and then morphed it into an identical triangle but pointed the opposite direction. Not bad, but nothing compared to what they did two years before that, in 1991, the Cross to Cross. Those last few sets, starting with the first cross, should be etched into Zingali's tombstone, page for page, dot for dot. Or, they can just put a tv screen with a DVD player perpetually playing those last few sets. They should also put a Z-pull onto his tombstone as well.

Cadets 2000 closer was really good also, you can start with the drum feature, or you can start with the company front. Not sure where the "closer" started, that may be a subjective observation. That closer makes me cry almost every time I watch it.

Of course, you have SCV 89, where they made the Phantom disappear...that was epic, still not sure to this day how they did that. In the videos, it doesn't really look like he was scrunching down under the chair into the box from under the fabric, but that may have well been what he did.

And I can't forget Crown's "Horsie" show. Was that 08?

I also liked the closer from Cavs 2001, 4 corners. Those last few sets fit in with the rest of the thematic material so well, it was genius.