Tonight, I witnessed what is wrong with drum corps...

I don't think this type of mindless and oblivious behavior is unique to drum corps. It's society in general.

I think this problem started in 1990. Before then, all people were upstanding and caring. The internet made people not care anymore :smile:

Gotta love sweeping statements. Facts be ######.

• Like 3

All the shows I have been too around here (In oklahoma and texas), they usually have an EMT, and even firetrucks waiting in the stadium.

I hope they do this year at least, considering here in the south there are highs as high as 105+ (it reached 110 here saturday).

Is there such a DCI requirement for Tour Event Partners, or is it left to the TEP's discretion? If so, that seems like a huge oversight on DCI's part. (And another argument for DCI eventually changing tour structures and eliminating the middlemen.)

Mike

Just a couple of thoughts....

First of all, to be fair to the staff members at the soundboard, having been on several pit staffs often times during shows I wouldn't notice if a spaceship came and abducted half of the corps, and it's not because of electronics. I'm usually stressing quite a bit over what's going on with my pit kids. Are they playing well? Did they remember the changes? Are they overhyping or playing timidly? All of this while trying not to show it on my face because I know they will pick up on it. In fact, keeping focused on the board is a good way to make sure your members aren't thinking about your reactions to their playing. Especially with younger groups it's hard for them to get out of rehearsal mode and really perform, especially with your staff still right in front of you.

That being said even if I did notice a hornline member I would probably hesitate before running out onto the field in the middle of a show. There's a bit of a mentality in drum corps teaching that you stick to your own sections and we don't really go over emergency situations such as this. If the show's still going (i.e. the drum major hasn't stopped the show) and I know the entire staff is there, my gut reaction would probably to at least look for an okay signal from someone higher up.

Not saying I wouldn't have immediately run out there or that I would be punished for it. I wasn't there so I can't really know all of the details. Just trying to put a different perspective on it.

I also wanted to mention that something very similar to this happened to Crossmen in Allentown in 2007. A color guard memeber struggled up to the sideline and then fainted. Nobody came to the field until the end of the show (and there was about a minute left). Finally two EMTs came over in a golf cart (who, by the way, were two of the most heavyset and slowest moving EMTs I have ever seen in my life) and took care of her. I texted someone I knew in the corps about it and it turned out that she had a known medical condition and this wasn't the first time she had passed out during a show.

Not really saying that was right either but just highlighting that there's a lot we don't know and I think it's a bit much to call it everything that is wrong with drum corps today.

• Like 2

Yup, that is the whole and complete thing that is wrong with DCI. One person fell and there wasn't a bunch of other people on the field in seconds.

Sheesh.

I remember at least 12 people going down just in one show in Hot Springs AR in 76 or 77. I remember several shows in the summer of 77 where we or other corps lost people. It happens.

If Cascade's Staff didn't see it at first or assumed those responsible for handling it would take care of it and they didn't, then Cascades will have to have a talk with that person or review their procedures or both. It happens. This is an extreme sport.

Have you seen this happen all around the country, at every show, time after time, for the last several years that you have seen this scenario repeated numerous times?

Have you been with every corps 24/7 to observe that they don't have any plan in place and they haven't done any training?

If you're local and there wasn't a medical unit standing by then I suggest you do something worthwhile and offer to be on the part of the committe for that show that arranges med units.

As a former world class member who has been rendered unconscious (via much more directly than this), I feel bad for this young person. The well-being of the performers always comes first. I hope the person is OK and will be able to finish out the season with no major effects the rest of the way.

PS - If anyone would like to see the show I'm referring to, PM me.

Edited by dciguy01

There were no less than three Cascades staff members managing the sound of their amplifications and synths... but there wasn't a single staff member that came to the aide of a horn line member that passed out in the show for 34 seconds.

The audience watched, with literal gasps, as a corps staff member FINALLY went over and checked on this kid... the numerous people managing the sound equipment, most readily available to help... chose to ignore the problem. Only one person can run the sound board... so what they were doing, that was so important they couldn't help a member, is beyond me.

Yes, heat strokes, and heat related things are frequent in the summers... but the maturity level of the staff and their response time in this show was unacceptable. Period.

while a number of things may be wrong with drum corps, the regard of staff for corps members isn't one of them. I think the words "chose to ignore the problem" (my emphasis on the word chose) are unfortunate.

As a high school band director of a small marching band (35), I can remember a situation where a majorette blew a knee about 15 feet away from me and I didn't see it until my assistant ran on to the field to help her. Note that this girl was in front on about the 40 at the time and the group was small. It can happen.

Should the response have been better? Absolutely. All of the corps and event organizers should take note to insure the safety of the corps members.

I think this problem started in 1990. Before then, all people were upstanding and caring. The internet made people not care anymore :smile:

Gotta love sweeping statements. Facts be ######.

I didn't mean to imply this was a generational thing. I certainly see a lot of people my age who text while they drive and are oblivious to other drivers. Yes, we as a society have become less aware and mindful of others.

A good friend of mine was in auto accident recently, and nobody came to her aid, even though the wreck happened in front of a busy convenience store. The other driver,(a 19 YO who was text messaging) blew right through a red light and t-boned her. The kid, unharmed, never bothered to say he was sorry, how ya doing? NOTHING.

A kid goes down right in front of three staff members and they stand there with their thumb up their #$%'$? I'm not surprised.

I didn't mean to imply this was a generational thing. I certainly see a lot of people my age who text while they drive and are oblivious to other drivers. Yes, we as a society have become less aware and mindful of others.

A good friend of mine was in auto accident recently, and nobody came to her aid, even though the wreck happened in front of a busy convenience store. The other driver,(a 19 YO who was text messaging) blew right through a red light and t-boned her. The kid, unharmed, never bothered to say he was sorry, how ya doing? NOTHING.

A kid goes down right in front of three staff members and they stand there with their thumb up their #$%'$? I'm not surprised.

Were you at the show? I'm just wondering because it's easy to fill in the blanks with another person's perspective (who honestly seems to have another agenda with the electronic stuff).