History of the Cymbal LIne

Jeff Kozol marched Cadets in 1989 and the Crossmen prior to that. He instructed a few cymbal sections over the years. In the 60's and 70's there were plenty of cymbal sections that were flashy, the big change came in 83-84 with Garfield's cymbal section and the use of orchestral technique (at least on the east coast)

Our guys were kinda flashy even pre DCI.

Cymbals.jpg

Mickey, the player in front turned out to lead one of the best rifle squads around, too.

Edited by Puppet

Our guys were kinda flashy even pre DCI.

Cymbals.jpg

Mickey, the player in front turned out to lead one of the best rifle squads around, too.

Hey what corps is that and when?

St. Rita's Brassmen (Puppet's old corps). Dunno the year....some time in the 70s?

That is correct. St. Rita's 1969 - our first year as the Cinderella Corps From Brooklyn, New York!

I had no idea so much went into the making of a cymbal line...all these techniques and choices for certain sounds, it's all very interesting. I also wasn't aware (haven't been around the activity in a loong time) that Diaz Clark had become such a renowned name as cymbal instructors go (props to you, Diaz).

If you mention Diaz though, the person who taught him must also be recognized, and that was a guy named Kyle "Plates" Johnson. Kyle took over the cymbal line from "Nobody" because "Nobody" was working the Cymbals before Kyle, that I know of. Kyle single handedly gave Suncoast's cymbal line a "Style" and an identity, a sense of pride, if you will, incorporating many different looks, positions and techniques that really made our cymbal line stand out as a unit within the corps. For Suncoast at least, Kyle created "Cymbal Hype."

Edited by Russellrks

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a new cymbal book for my students and wanted to include some information in regards to the history of the cymbal line in Drum Corps. I would love to obtain information in regards to adaptation of styles over the years, garfield vs. pistol grip lines (which technique was used first and how did it evolve), sizes and types of cymbals and how those changed through out the years, how the visual application of the instrument evolved and when/whom was at the forefront of this, pictures -- ALL OF IT!

I would really appreciate any and all help/stories/information that any of you would be willing to provide. I have seen other instruments given such treatment and wanted to do the same for the cymbal players of the world.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

I have to say that I wouldn't know a GARFIELD FROM A PISTOL if you hit me in the face with a Zildjian or you pasted me in the head it's little brother, Paiste! What I do know is that way before there were rifle lines there were these guys who were not snare drummers who needed a little limelight and they would do things (like spin them, etc. in between the times when they were supposed to hit them together) to make themselves noticed on the field. It was like GE not written into the show. I think these days SCV have a cymbal line famous for their antics. But back in the day, and I do mean BITD there were gallons of Brasso being used by cymbal guys for a reason. So you've got to start your search a little further back than when people starting naming their grips ... because there were cymbals with wooden handles and those with straps and even spinning handles that went on way before there was color video.

Just saying.

A little more history:

The only names I am including are people who went on to teach.

Diaz was marching Spirit then as well then marched Suncoast from 82 - 85 since Al was there then taught 86 on.

A guy named Garfield Small brought the Vanguard style of playing to Florida. He was going to march Florida Wave in 91 but they folded. He went to march cymbals in 92 at Florida Guardsmen, 93 Blue devils ( since many Wave people went west since they were taught by Nat ) then aging out at Vanguard in 94.

He taught the cymbal line at Suncoast Sound in 95 and in that line was Andrew Nixon.

Andrew and I were in the cymbal line at Spirit in 95/96 before I went to the snare line. Andrew was in that line from 95 - 98, made the line at SCV in 2000 but by or before may camp they decided to move up a kid up from the C corps who would be around for 4 or 5 more years instead of keeping a " rook out ".

He aged out at Spirit in 2000.

Fast forwarding a bit.

Andrew taught the cymbal line at Tampa Bay Thunder ( II / III back then ) in 2001. In that line was Drew Johannssen and John Bishai. Those guys along with Obed Resendez went on to march at Kiwanis Kaviliers in 2002 with Andrew as their tech and of course the next year they all were at Spirit . 2004 was Colin Choat, Mario Taylor, Obed and Drew. Mario went on to march and ageout at Crossmen in 05, Drew and Colin went on to Magic in 05. There are too many indoor connections as well as college/university connections as to marching and consulting to list with these guys and Eddie, mostly MCM/Odyssey though.

Another connection:

The cymbal lines at Teal Sound have always been taught by Spirit Vets. First with Andrew in 99 , no cymbal line for a few years, me in 04 and 05, Mario in 07 a bit and in 09 ( possibly?) and Obed in 08 / now. Mario went on to teach the re- birthed cymbal line at Spirit in 08, Obed in 09 now teaching there is Jim Powell who was under Eddie and Obed at Odyssey percussion theatre and under Mario while he marched Spirit. Phew!... There.

I taught with Eddie and AJ at Magic in 2005, then taught at Paradox Percussion in 2006-2007 and eventually, Teal in 2008-2009. Brought the Eddie/west coast hybrid style back to Teal in 08 and also to infinity/stryke with Obed and Javi Vides.

Also, Eddie and AJ were the brainchilds between the crazy I&E wins by Spirit in 2003-2004 that are copied by tons of indoor lines now. Eddie also helped teach one of the greatest indoor lines I can remember in Mystique 2006 (Drew Johannessen aged out in that line). Eddie really taught me and countless others how to do great with the "forgotten" instrument.

Eddie's website about his book: Cymbal Technique

Zildjian: Legend of cymbal makers Amazon link

In the 70s the Troopers showed up with these spinner handles:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3710669.pdf

Looked flashy, but didn't really catch on. Effect from the hardware, rather than from the players' skill.