Corps Logos and Uniforms?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen a reference to any corps using that name.

Of course it was the cigarette reference that got me thinking about that ... I know a Viceroy was some kind of appointed title in heraldry back when everyone had a coat of arms so it was probably more political than martial and that leads me to think that's why no drum corps with that name. Although 27 or Kilties probably had a person in the corps who was the Viceroy of something or other ...

Just kidding ...

Your words are Coat of Arms. um I'll try to explain. Way back when, instructors had brief cases that contained sheet music or in my case, graph paper with X's for drill. Here's my briefcase from September 1977 (that I photographed in March 2011) with decals I collected during our 10 week tour of 13 European countries. Here's side 1. There are 2 sides to a briefcase :smile: Excuse me dear Sir but I just finished watching over 8 hours of 2011 drum corps on Fan Network from Minneapolis. Awesome! Goodnight.

coat-of-arms.jpg

Your words are Coat of Arms. um I'll try to explain. Way back when, instructors had brief cases that contained sheet music or in my case, graph paper with X's for drill. Here's my briefcase from September 1977 (that I photographed in March 2011) with decals I collected during our 10 week tour of 13 European countries. Here's side 1. There are 2 sides to a briefcase :smile: Excuse me dear Sir but I just finished watching over 8 hours of 2011 drum corps on Fan Network from Minneapolis. Awesome! Goodnight.

coat-of-arms.jpg

I forgive you for being tired. I know that a Viceroy is like a rep in a colony or territory for a monarch which is why my thinking led me to believe that because a Viceroy has nothing to do with the military there are no corps with that name (like Regiment, for instance).

On your case (briefcase - which coincidentally is sometimes called an "attache" case) were actually called heraldry Really. But you knew that but you were tired and I forgive you. Here's a little something about coats of arms you might like after this Regional Weekend is over.

Heraldry Symbolism :eh:

I forgive you for being tired. I know that a Viceroy is like a rep in a colony or territory for a monarch which is why my thinking led me to believe that because a Viceroy has nothing to do with the military there are no corps with that name (like Regiment, for instance).

On your case (briefcase - which coincidentally is sometimes called an "attache" case) were actually called heraldry Really. But you knew that but you were tired and I forgive you. Here's a little something about coats of arms you might like after this Regional Weekend is over.

Heraldry Symbolism :eh:

Thanks for your patience Puppet. I’ve read that you’re a writer. Other than poetry, I haven’t written extensively since University, albeit in the past 3 years I’ve become a technical writer as mandated by my vocation. I continue to struggle with grammar and finding the appropriate words.

On a whimsical note, I sometimes hear a song that ignites a memory of a time and place associated with my youth much of which was spent in drum corps and winter guard. The same can be said upon viewing old drum corps photos. My attaché case reminds me of an anecdote of our 1977 tour. We arrived in Gatwick July 2, 1977 and proceeded to Bramley Hall on Clay Hill in Enfield. This was our base from which we traveled throughout the UK during the month of July. It was our home away from home.

Prior to our departure to the continent on August 1 1977, via Dover to Calais, we were asked to bring along only one suitcase. We carefully packed our second suitcase with extra clothes, shoes and souvenirs intended for our loved ones back home. The second suitcases and my attaché case, filled with programs, magazines, publications and rolls of used camera film, were left behind. While on the continent, I continued collecting charms, decals and silver spoons intended for my Mother.

After a wonderful tour of the continent and performances at the Rose of Tralee Festival, we made our way to Cork, Ireland on September 2, 1977, embarked the ferry and arrived at Bramley Hall later that day, only to find that while we were away there was a fire on the first floor. We were heartbroken but proceeded to clean what was to be our home away from home for an additional 2 weeks. All of our second suitcases were on the third floor. The souvenirs intended for our loved ones back home were intact as was my attaché case.

Also, some of my decals reminded me of Boston Crusaders’ Waldo (as pictured below) and Madison Scouts fleur-de-lis, corps I had seen prior to our 1977 drum corps tour :smile:

77-bc2-a.jpg

Thanks for the awesome stories about Waldo and the Cavalier's logo guys.

Is there any info on the other stuff?

What was the reasoning behind the Blue Stars uniform and off-center helmet?

Also, I've heard conflicting stories on the naming of Spirit of Atlanta. Were they sponsored by the airline, or is it because Atlanta falls in a river delta?

• 4 weeks later...

Spirit of Atlanta's "Delta" is meant to represent an "A" for Atlanta. They were never afffiliated with the airline, although I don't know if that was the inspiration for the "Delta". Also, the Long Island Kingsmen had an image of Long Island over a 5 spoked crown. Not sure where the crown design came from, but it was different than the one used by the local Kings Park school district which used a representation of a British Royal Crown. Ironically, the Kingsmen did a TV commercial for Royal Crown (RC) Cola during the 70's.