25 Corps in Semifinals?

As do I. Especially from the Awful Waffle (Waffle House)

and here I thought you were cukoo cukoo for coco puffs

Wasn't it the rule that if a corps came back from being inactive, they had to be in Open Class for a year first? Wasn't that what happened to Capital Regiment in 2009? They had to come back as an OC corps, in attempts to go back to World Class the next year.

The way I understood the rule was that if a WC corps was inactive for one season they could return to WC standings. Ex: Cascades inactive for 2008 season back in WC in 2009. If a corps is inactive for more than one season they have to return to OC and start the process for WC over. Ex: Cap Reg inactive from 2007-2008 and then went to OC. Of course like stated earlier the rules change often within DCI. Back on topic I like the change back to every corps competing against eachother. Gives more kids the opportunity to perform in Prelims and Semis. Plus more corps for the audience to enjoy!!!

• Like 1

This is not good news. This change in the number of 1/2 finals corps makes it difficult for me to run my Annual Bar-B-Que as a 12 noon affair. I will have to bump it up to 11 am and cut it about 1/2 hour short so that everyone will be able to get to their seats in time for the first corps in 1/2 finals! Poor judfges! I really pity the Prelims panel. 8 am till after 11 pm! That's an awful lot of drum corps in one day!

This is good news! 25 corps in 1/2 finals! Flashbacks to the good old days of 25 corps in a World Class competition! But a 2 pm startt time? Will all of the corps get in by Midnight?

I don't know where the idea started that OC corps knocking off WC corps is a rare thing. I remember it happening quite regularly before. Checking corpsreps.com, here are some (not comprehensive) examples.

2001 - Seattle Cascades (17th)

2000 - Vanguard Cadets (17th)

1999 - Patriots (18th)

1998 - Les Etoiles (17th)

1997 - Academie Musicale (16th)

1996 - Kiwanis Kavaliers (14th), Les Etoiles (15th), Academie Musicale (18th), Pioneer (20th)

1995 - Pioneer (18th), Academie Musicale (19th)

1994 - Pioneer (18th)

1993 - Carolina Crown (21st)

1992 - Southwind (22nd)

1991 - L'Insolite (20th)

1990 - Ventures (20th)

1989 - L'Insolite (20th)

Mike

I remember during the DCM days, that Division I, II, III ( World Class & Open Class today) were judged on the same sheets using the same criteria. Sometimes there would be some surprises.

I don't think there has ever been "more than a few" open class corps in semis has there? You must mean quarters. Other than the Magic anomaly in 2002 I believe the highest placement for an open class corps is 17th (SCVC, Cascades, maybe Mandarins). If my memory is accurate it would imply there has never been more than 1 open class corps in semis other than possibly 2002.

I love the new format, but I think it is highly doubtful anyone of them make top 17 this year. I think the ceiling is 18 and more likely 19 or 20. With the expanded field my guess is 2-4 will make semis (top 25).

I think you're probably right. Sorry, I meant quarters, or when ever it used to be Top 25, I thought it was a bit more common for an Open Class corps to make the Top 25.

I think 19 or 20 will be the top, but I can see as many as four Open Class corps making Semis. There are some very strong corps there, I see BDB, SCVC, OC, and maybe Spartans or Music City making it in.

it's happened many many many times before. not a big deal.

i sound like a broken record here, but people need to stop assuming all of the top open class corps are going to be participating at QF.

This is the list of Open Class corps that have signed up to be at the Open Class Prelims on Monday in Michigan City. Open Class Finals is on Tuesday - also in Michigan City.

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Blue Saints - Sudbury, ON

Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA

Forte - Grand Prairie, TX

Genesis - Edinburg, TX

Jubal - Dordrecht, The Netherlands

Legends - Kalamazoo, MI

Les Stentors - Sherbrooke, QU

Music City - Nashville, TN

Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR

Racine Scouts - Racine, WI

Raiders - Wayne, NJ

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Spartans - Nashua, NH

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

The Yokohama Scouts - Yokohama, Japan

Spirit of Newark/NJ - Newark, NJ

Open Class I&E is scheduled for Wednesday - in Indianapolis.

It would make sense that most - probably all - of these Open Class Corps will appear in the World Class Prelims on Thursday in Indy.

This is the list of Open Class corps that have signed up to be at the Open Class Prelims on Monday in Michigan City. Open Class Finals is on Tuesday - also in Michigan City.

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Blue Saints - Sudbury, ON

Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA

Forte - Grand Prairie, TX

Genesis - Edinburg, TX

Jubal - Dordrecht, The Netherlands

Legends - Kalamazoo, MI

Les Stentors - Sherbrooke, QU

Music City - Nashville, TN

Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR

Racine Scouts - Racine, WI

Raiders - Wayne, NJ

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Spartans - Nashua, NH

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

The Yokohama Scouts - Yokohama, Japan

Spirit of Newark/NJ - Newark, NJ

Open Class I&E is scheduled for Wednesday - in Indianapolis.

It would make sense that most - probably all - of these Open Class Corps will appear in the World Class Prelims on Thursday in Indy.

Do you really think so?,...................I was thinking more like 6 or 7,............maybe 8,...............is there a deadline to get in the Thursday show?,.................I don't think they can leave it to an on the spot decision,.............

Do you really think so?,...................I was thinking more like 6 or 7,............maybe 8,...............is there a deadline to get in the Thursday show?,.................I don't think they can leave it to an on the spot decision,.............

my understanding was that all open class corps that are at finals intend to perform at 1/4 finals, and why wouldn't they. they are already there so why not let the kids perform their show one last time.

and Ron I think you meant 1/4 finals and not 1/2 finals (which would be pronounced as half finals)

Last I heard, there was a question about Stentors (might have to return to Quebec for a prior commitment)....but all the others were expected to participate in world championship prelims.