Winter guard and drum corps

Actually, I have to agree with the band director. If you want it bad enough, you'll do the "leg work" yourself. The "discovery" (if you will) will mean more to you and make more sense if you hear it firsthand, as opposed to secondhand...from him. He might tend to "color" it with his own opinions. Or have wrong facts...whatever.

Contact the local guard circuit...they can probably give you lots of information. Also, I'd contact WGI and see if they have a "start up" guide.

If it were me, I'd assemble a group, teach them a show and perform it as much as possible: basketball games, in exhibition and a few small competitions. The second year will be much better. You and your group will know what to expect...how to plan, what's involved. As I said before, surely there are other guard instructors nearby who are "fielding" winterguards. Call 'em up...take 'em out for coffee, ask lots of questions.

Hope that helps.

Good luck! Keep us informed!

Edited by SBrancheau

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents...

I noticed that you're currently in Farminton, MN. There are a couple of senior corps in the area. Chops, inc. and Minnesota Brass. I'd suggest that you and your band director and your friends who are as interested as you are, go check them out. Summer is the hieght of Corps season. Go check out rehearsals, take notes. Shows and competitions are very intense.

I lived in MN for a while. There is an Independent Winter Guard in the area. I don't remember what they are called anymore, but there is one around. Check in to that too.

If you are starting something at your school like a Winter Guard or something, start small and slowly. Get as much help as you can.

Hope that helps... :)

I noticed that you're currently in Farminton, MN. There are a couple of senior corps in the area. Chops, inc. and Minnesota Brass.

Don't forget the Govies!

www.govenaires.org

I was lucky enough to grow up in Waseca and be a part of their amazing marching band program. I was in colorguard all 4 years of high school and I've marched with the Govenaires on and off for the past 5 years. Waseca puts on an indoor show every year at the end of the fall marching season, in which they have a rifle feature, a flag feature, and a full guard feature. Our instructors write the full guard feature, and section captians write the individual equipment features. It is sooooo fun! We then perform our features at half time for basketball games (not so fun).

The best part of winterguard (besides it being indoors) is having the crowd so close to you.

I never performed in any winterguard competitions, but Waseca does compete in NorthStar Circuit some years, as well as other schools in the area.

I don't know much about the Farmington program. Does your marching band do parades only, or do you have a field show as well? Do you have instructors, or is it student run? If you're looking for an instructor, I know plenty of willing ladies in the area.

I also suggest you check out the Waseca Marching Jays Indoor in November. It's an excellent example of winterguard, that is close to home for you. Grand Rapids, Champlain Park, and Irondale are other schools in Minnesota that have outstanding programs.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

-Nicky

Edited by Nixon621

well, that is quite a bit of information. thank you very much for it all. farmington does parades and field shows. we actually put on quite the amazing show but guard doesnt get much out of it. we focus a lot on the band. We also put on an indoor show at the end of the marching season that brings everything together. And since we have just started using rifles last year we dont feature them at all...unfortunately but i do hope that we begin to.

At the moment our band has one instructor/teacher. He is the FHS band teacher. He knows a lot about guard but is a VERY busy man and never has much time to help. We have been looking for an instructor strictly for guard for awhile now but we have been unsuccessful. My teacher agrees and many school board members agree to this. we just need to get everybody willing to be involved and support our guard. But, if you could get me some of those ladies that would be willing to help or be hired as a permanent instructor that would be great.

thank you again

jenny

You rock, Nicky.

love,

Smoothy