This is the Most Exciting Recap I Have Ever Seen

Judges are judging their sheets and not the names. This is great

Totally agree - and that is what is making this one of the best years ever (well the great shows help too!!!)

I don't understand.

If they are giving out a score based upon the drillbook, then that number shouldn't change at all from show to show, unless they change the drill. Same with music.

So can someone please explain to me what the difference between Visual Ensemble and Visual Performance is? And what is Music Ensemble, when they already have brass and percussion judged separately?

And then the sub-subcaptions (Rep, Prfm) (Vocab, Excl) (Cont, Achv) (Mus, Tech)

I'd like to know exactly what all this means.

I think Corps are continually adding to the visual book each time they add a little visual here or there to fill in a gap where there may have been nothing before but marching forward/backward while facing the front sideline with your horn up or your sticks out. I have also heard and somewhat buy the argument that, as a corp cleans up their forms and/or mor consistently achieves their technique, it is easier for the judge to give a higher Vocab/Rep number because they can actually understand how hard it is/what they are trying to do, rather than just looking at an un-techable hot mess (on the extreem side).

Visual Ensemble and Music Ensemble are the upstairs judges taking a look at the drill and the way the music comes off the field into the box. Visual Performance, Brass and Percussion are all down on the field judging individuals and consistency from person to person.

Repitoire, Vocabulary, Content and Music (Musicality? Musicianship?) are all Composition numbers: What is being done.

Performance, Excelence, Achievement, and Technique are all Performance numbers: How it is being done.

Hope that helps! For a recap geek like me, this is a gold mine! I have not even had a chance to go back and look at how Performance Time worked into the ultimate decisions.

I don't understand.

If they are giving out a score based upon the drillbook, then that number shouldn't change at all from show to show, unless they change the drill. Same with music.

So can someone please explain to me what the difference between Visual Ensemble and Visual Performance is? And what is Music Ensemble, when they already have brass and percussion judged separately?

And then the sub-subcaptions (Rep, Prfm) (Vocab, Excl) (Cont, Achv) (Mus, Tech)

I'd like to know exactly what all this means.

There is no score given based on "drill book". If it is Visual Effect you are talking about, "repertoire" is only one SUB-caption. In addition, "communication" is judged within the effect caption which means it's STILL about "how well they perform". There are also elements withIN repertoire that are judged ASIDE from drill such as body movemnt (dance etc) that is taken into account (which for some corps can change almost daily). Also - ACTING...if there are charactor roles being played in a show - also judged within visual effect. Lastly, color guard plays a HUGE part of visual effect (even though guard also has it's own caption). I think there is a corps out there that you want to see your corps beat (wink wink nudge nudge) who's drill you don't like that is scoring high in guard. That also plays into the visual effect caption. Hope this helps.

Edited by stevedb1975

Lastly, color guard plays a HUGE part of visual effect (even though guard also has it's own caption). I think there is a corps out there that you want to see your corps beat (wink wink nudge nudge) who's drill you don't like that is scoring high in guard. That also plays into the visual effect caption. Hope this helps.

This is a VERY important part of judging for those of us who enjoy the guards but are not guard people. Sometimes the best guards are so busy dazzling us with technique that we are lost in their coordination with the show. There are many "simple" guard moves that look incredible and wow the crowd. The early 2000 Cavies and late 00 Crown guards were masters of giving us the best of both (no one has stood out at that in the last 2 years IMHO). I think the judges do read these differences well.

Edited by OICMR corps

I'm really happy the recaps look like this...

I just hope as the season goes along that they don't give everyone the caption rankings for where the corps is scoring overall.

And the first thing I check for on recaps, is any sub-captions that are evenly spaced for more than 3 groups in a row. NOTHING PISSES ME OFF MORE. devil.gif

There is no score given based on "drill book". If it is Visual Effect you are talking about, "repertoire" is only one SUB-caption. In addition, "communication" is judged within the effect caption which means it's STILL about "how well they perform". There are also elements withIN repertoire that are judged ASIDE from drill such as body movemnt (dance etc) that is taken into account (which for some corps can change almost daily). Also - ACTING...if there are charactor roles being played in a show - also judged within visual effect. Lastly, color guard plays a HUGE part of visual effect (even though guard also has it's own caption). I think there is a corps out there that you want to see your corps beat (wink wink nudge nudge) who's drill you don't like that is scoring high in guard. That also plays into the visual effect caption. Hope this helps.

To add to your insightful points, corps' reps are evaluated based on how they rank compared with other corps' designs. You could have a very strong design, but if eight other corps have more effective designs, then you're still going to be 9th.