Rockin Rockford

Through a percentage of profit from the service provider they go through, just like American Idol and so many other entertainment ventures that work a deal to crank up the usage of cell phone/internet voting.

And where does this service provider get their profit (from which DCI gets their "cut") ? The votes are made through a web interface. The text message just sends you the URL and instructions. The *only* thing DCI might get out this deal is the info they collect in the voting page -- which is probably at least half bogus. I'm pretty sure there's no profit from voting -- it's a net cost for them.

Sounds to me like a solid Chicago politics model of voting, ie... " vote early, vote often".

That said, we're not going to have an army of $300. per hour lawyers fly into Rockford to begin counting chads with this are we ?

God, I hope not. I think Cavies should win the fan voting, just about every show. Cavies or Cadets.

I DO not think PR should be winning any of the fan voting. So I'm not bitter... simply clarifying that the fan voting isn't exactly locked up and tight.

Sounds to me like a solid Chicago, Illinois politics model of voting, ie... " vote early, vote often".

That said, we're not going to have an army of $300. per hour lawyers fly into Rockford, Illinois to begin counting chads with this are we ?

:tongue:

It was from a FMM. I can PM you the name and copy the email if you'd like. He sent it tons and tons of people, myself included on his friends list.

I shallt not be callin the boy out by name on the forum. Don't want to get LANCEd.

No need. Not a big deal. I still feel like the performance and the fans in the stadium is the largest contributing factor. I would have felt that way if Phantom, Crown, or Cadets would have won tonight too, all for different reasons.

No need. Not a big deal. I still feel like the performance and the fans in the stadium is the largest contributing factor. I would have felt that way if Phantom, Crown, or Cadets would have won tonight too, all for different reasons.

You have be savvy enough to :

a) send a text

b) have smartphone with internet access

c) have to fill out an online form with multiple fields to vote

Believe it or not -- there's still a large portion of cell phone users who don't bother with net access. There's also a (smaller) portion who pretty much don't text.

They're not getting a large % of the crowd in attendance. It's too complex.

• Like 1

Yeah, i know i didnt see them live. However, ive seen recent vids, and are not better than Bloo. PR maybe had an awesome showing? Yeah most likely. But +1.75 at a home show is fishy in regards to an entertainment caption.

Okay, videos.

Dude, do you enjoy Bluecoats show? I hope so. There's one thing I have figured out about this activity after 31 years as a fan, participant, instructor and parent: The scores don't matter. Performances matter. Scores are educated opinions, but are subjective, like it or not.

I've seen the same videos and you know what my opinion would probably be, correct?

If you get caught up in the score war, you're missing the point.

Besides, these were on completely different sheets. Relax and enjoy some great drum corps performances!

• Like 1

a) send a text

Believe it or not -- there's still a large portion of cell phone users who don't bother with net access. There's also a (smaller) portion who pretty much don't text.

The sheer intelligence and cohesion in all posts not pertaining to crown, makes you one of my favorite posters!

+1

God, I hope not. I think Cavies should win the fan voting, just about every show. Cavies or Cadets.

I DO not think PR should be winning any of the fan voting. So I'm not bitter... simply clarifying that the fan voting isn't exactly locked up and tight.

I think we are in agreement here. I could definitely see Phantom finishing higher tonight than normal in this regard since it is their home crowd. To me that is ok. I like the idea of corps getting a "home field advantage" once in a while.

Speaking of, I have not seen a recap, nor do I know how these new sheets really break down, but I heard there were some strange ordinals within some of the captions. This would not be a big deal except it was within the "entertainment" captions. The folks judging entertainment had very different opinions than how the audience voted. Would like to see that recap just to see how the new system breaks down.

The sheer intelligence and cohesion in all posts ... makes you one of my favorite posters!

He giveth...

... not pertaining to crown ...

and he taketh away. :smile:

• Like 2

a) send a text

Ok. Are you implying that someone had an advantage? If not, what is your point?

I am not foolish enough to think that there are not people voting from afar, but my guess is it is happening with every corps and no one group has an advantage over another.