Where's the cheese?

When I went to shows in Texas, I'd say the audience was about 40% parents (40 or so), 40% high school and college kids, 20% 50 and above. Racially mixed, lots of hispanics, african americans, and whites. I've been going to shows since I was 3 years old. I don't think I've ever been to a show where I thought the average age was about 60.

When I went to the theaters to watch drum corps, I'd say the majority of people in the theaters were 35 and below. A LOT of high school kids. Very few senior citizens.

Maybe it's just a Texas thing.

I think so. DCI never use to be in Texas for shows all that often. Now they spend more time in Texas than Rick Perry does.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes. I think what he is saying is that there is a difference between real " geeks " and faux " geeks ". Faux geeks are really geeks that are hip and cool geeks. These are geeks that are "chic geeks" so to speak, whereas real geeks are not really hip and cool... like faux geeks are. Faux geeks are hip and cool, he's saying.

At least thats what I think he's saying anyway.

Yeah, I got that. But if I'm to take what he's said as truth, then I'm also to take what he said about the musical preferences of geeks and "faux" geeks as truth as well. In his mind, geeks who are bando listen to classic rock and want to play classic rock on the field because it makes them feel like they're not geeks. We shouldn't take into account that it's called "classic" rock for a reason, nor should we take into account that this exact same argument could be applied to the Madison Scouts playing Empire State of Mind ("They play hip hop because it makes them feel less geeky").

Yeah, I got that. But if I'm to take what he's said as truth, then I'm also to take what he said about the musical preferences of geeks and "faux" geeks as truth as well. In his mind, geeks who are bando listen to classic rock and want to play classic rock on the field because it makes them feel like they're not geeks. We shouldn't take into account that it's called "classic" rock for a reason, nor should we take into account that this exact same argument could be applied to the Madison Scouts playing Empire State of Mind ("They play hip hop because it makes them feel less geeky").

Things do change though whether we want them to or not. For example, a discussion of " geeks " ( whether geeks that are garden variety " geeks " or " geeks that are chic " ) would never have been in the conversation in the 60's or early 70's regarding marchers in Drum Corps or audiences of Drum Corps. It just wasn't. Good, bad or indifferent, it just wasn't a phrase heard. ... " juvenile Delinquents " ?... " thugs " ?... "street gangs with bugles and drums " ? sure, these pjoratives was heard sometimes, and marchers in some of the more City based Corps then had to try and stop those inaccurate ( for the most part ) stereotypes being hurled at them back then too.

Edited by BRASSO

How bout stop hanging out with middle aged men at drum corps shows. Get a girlfriend. And learn what the captions mean and how they are judged before coming on a public forum and spreading cancerous word vomit about things you don't understand. Then back up your ignorance by publicly asking what the captions mean and how they are judged on said public forum where there is a slew of misinformation as well. Doesn't seem very bright. and is probably how your opinions were formed anyway.

I keep trying to get her to watch DCI with me but no dice. Also you might want to make it clear who your looney rant is aimed at. Or reread your post and realize you're telling people to get a girlfriend, stop being nerds, etc. as you're posting on a forum board for drum corps of all things with a Batman logo.

As for Crown's show I don't care for the forced GET UP AND CLAP EVERYONE WE'RE HAVING FUN. Some people in the audience obviously dug it, I wasn't one of them.

Just starting their show singing "We Will, We Will Rock you" is embarrassing...sounds like

a bunch of fans at a football game...please

This.

Mostly this.

Would have loved a more traditional Crown pre-show, with the horns and drums playing that tune, and no sampled material.

I keep trying to get her to watch DCI with me but no dice. Also you might want to make it clear who your looney rant is aimed at. Or reread your post and realize you're telling people to get a girlfriend, stop being nerds, etc. as you're posting on a forum board for drum corps of all things with a Batman logo.

As for Crown's show I don't care for the forced GET UP AND CLAP EVERYONE WE'RE HAVING FUN. Some people in the audience obviously dug it, I wasn't one of them.

Last year people complained about Corps not reaching out to the crowd. Now its funny how some people despise it. Cheesey or not just have a good time and dont be the grouch in the stands with your arms crossed.

• Like 1

Last year people complained about Corps not reaching out to the crowd. Now its funny how some people despise it. Cheesey or not just have a good time and dont be the grouch in the stands with your arms crossed.

You don't have to sing and clap and jump around to "reach out to the crowd." I didn't say I hated the show, I didn't say I hated Crown, I'm saying that's the kind of "cheese" that people are referring to and that I didn't care for.

You don't have to worry I did have a good time; I'm not going to drive 3 hours and spend all that money just to pout over a show I don't care for that much.

You don't have to sing and clap and jump around to "reach out to the crowd." I didn't say I hated the show, I didn't say I hated Crown, I'm saying that's the kind of "cheese" that people are referring to and that I didn't care for.

You don't have to worry I did have a good time; I'm not going to drive 3 hours and spend all that money just to pout over a show I don't care for that much.

My bad, i misunderstood bud