stuck mouth pieces

stein456

Actually, it won't work on ALL mouthpieces. Try removing an IYM mellophone mouthpiece with one:

Kerchner%20big2.jpg

But it will work on most mouthpieces that utilize a more traditional profile.

Touche! There are a few oddballs that will trip it up, but generally, it will pull 99.99% of all mpcs, from cornet and flugelhorn, though the largest tuba pieces.

Try removing an IYM mellophone mouthpiece with one

Scooter, they make a tool for those.

Just go to the nearest O'Reilley auto parts store.

Rent a harmonic balancer puller.

Edited by HornsUp

I use a leather mallet to tap on the lead pipe up toward the mouthpiece. Works everytime. I sometimes use the plastic grip handle of a screw driver or wood handle of a hammer. A light tap or three will will work the mouthpiece free.

Same principle on stuck valve caps.

Or go to your local dentist, "I Yankem"???? :shutup:

LOL

Actually, I'd use a hammer on the IYM without a single tinge of guilt!

• 2 weeks later...

I use a leather mallet to tap on the lead pipe up toward the mouthpiece. Works everytime. I sometimes use the plastic grip handle of a screw driver or wood handle of a hammer. A light tap or three will will work the mouthpiece free.

Same principle on stuck valve caps.

Yes this works in a pinch. I even use the palm of my hand to jar the leadpipe. (Maybe rap the leadpipe 10-15 times but not really hard of course). The vibrations can sometimes get things loose.

If it's still stuck then it needs a mouthpiece puller.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure that the leadpipe that the mouthpiece goes into is clean. Dirt and cheaper metals corrode and can form a bond of sorts. BITD we'd just put an ice cube in the metal mouthpiece and that was generally enough to weaken the bond. Hot things expand, cool things contract and what not. You're not likely to have a freezer handy, much less one big enough for a tuba. But a half hour in there is about the same as the ice cube method. Get a puller. But some cleaning options will help prevent it happening as often. And of course remove the mouthpiece at least once a month to keep it from getting stuck, or at least finding out if it is stuck. At least during the winter to summer time frame. I've never had much issues with my kelly's, but mine are probably first generation versions. They're actually the least likely to get stuck IMO. And if they do, the ice cube method probably wont work, get a puller.