nm - I was trying to post a pic of the "re-built" trophy the Hurc's presented to Genero at their 1966 banquet but, couldn't for some reason ... it's on the Hurc's Alumni website if you want to see it ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

That's ok Andy... there are some things you never forget and some things age kindly helps you forget...

my list of things I'll never forget - which includes a number of family things... wedding, birth of the 3 kids, and the 6 grandkids... also includes the '65 trip to Multnomah Stadium in Portand where at the young age of 18 we won the Legion Nationals and - yes - the 1966 retreat in Washington and the various goings on including the trophy toss by Genaro.

The funny part of the whole thing was that the Legionaires and there were plenty in attendance, did not understand why Hurcs and Sky were upset. Their mentality was that Crusaders were the defending champion and they would have understood if we were upset... just a funny aside that I learned from spectators after the show... not starting any arguments as I agree Hurricanes were the best corps that year.

That's ok Andy... there are some things you never forget and some things age kindly helps you forget...

my list of things I'll never forget - which includes a number of family things... wedding, birth of the 3 kids, and the 6 grandkids... also includes the '65 trip to Multnomah Stadium in Portand where at the young age of 18 we won the Legion Nationals and - yes - the 1966 retreat in Washington and the various goings on including the trophy toss by Genaro.

The funny part of the whole thing was that the Legionaires and there were plenty in attendance, did not understand why Hurcs and Sky were upset. Their mentality was that Crusaders were the defending champion and they would have understood if we were upset... just a funny aside that I learned from spectators after the show... not starting any arguments as I agree Hurricanes were the best corps that year.

Yup ... both the AL Nats in Washington and the VFW's in Jersey City were full of controversy ... and yeah ... just a meer 45 years ago ... I don't know if thinking about it keeps me young or makes me old ... guess a bit of both ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

I wasnt going to post but what the hey...

Keith comes on here every couple of months with the same topic, "Why did the Crusaders get screwed in 1990?"

The answer is very simple...Bushwackers, Empire, Cabs, Westshore et al...got higher scores than Cru.

I have mentioned this to Keith the last time he posted this same topic...let it go. I thought Empire won as well but I am not coming on here asking for people to validate that for me.

Donny

I wasnt going to post but what the hey...

Keith comes on here every couple of months with the same topic, "Why did the Crusaders get screwed in 1990?"

The answer is very simple...Bushwackers, Empire, Cabs, Westshore et al...got higher scores than Cru.

I have mentioned this to Keith the last time he posted this same topic...let it go. I thought Empire won as well but I am not coming on here asking for people to validate that for me.

Donny

Donnie, while you may have gone to the crux of Keith's issue (I don't know that to be fact - you'd have to ask Keith), please note that I don't agree with anyone who thinks we (Cru) got shafted in 1990... I believe it was a great year and we improved greatly in August and deserved to be a top 5 contender - and we were. Our top 5 finish and score over 93 proved our goal had been achieved.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and the top three at Finals was, IMO, a legit toss-up that ended up going to the Bushwackers... no problem with that.

But I've always wondered how Westshoremen could go from basically leading the pack the weekend before, to fourth place. :blink:

I cant wait til Bob Zazzara's name gets in this thread...LOL. Tom, I know you remember Bob giving Dave Grillone the soloist trophy in Picksburg, and then telling me in the critique that he picked me and they announced it wrong...LOL.

CRU was a very EXCELLENT corps...but so were the others above them, thats all. Many of those same corps traded places all year long. IIRC, Empire went on first at almost every show that year and added members at every show site. We never were full until DCA weekend.

I dont really care, but seriously the same topic seems to pop up on many occasions by the same author. I dont have any ax to grind either as Keith is my friend. Unfortunately, all said and done, none of us can change history. No matter how many we post this topic.

DA

• Like 1

Donny,

I never said anything in this post about being screwd! I was just wondering about the jump in scores for Cru, that's all! I am over that other stuff.

I was checking out scores from 90 and noticed a large jump. That's all, there is no hidden agenda in this post. BTW, that was not my favorite Cru year. My fav was 2001.

Tom, yes you did toss a trophy. LOL

OK buddy...it was a weird year, with an even weirder finish. Bush hadnt won a show all year and were getting beat by 7-8 points in August.

DA

OK buddy...it was a weird year, with an even weirder finish. Bush hadnt won a show all year and were getting beat by 7-8 points in August.

DA

That would be a nice story but we did win 3 shows and were no more than 1.5 (Scranton) behind anyone at any time during the month of August. As a matter of fact the biggest loss we had was in Waterbury, our first show out.

• Like 1