fans sitting on their hands

Perhaps if given something to cheer for, fans would clap, cheer and give standing "O's". If the crowd is not buying the show, then the crowd will respond as such.

• Like 2

It’s because we have all these intellectual drum corps shows now - we need to think about them a bit before we clap, years even

LOL!!! wait hold on....yes I think I do like the Cadets 1983 show.

• Like 1

People still jump up at and applaud/yell in the middle of shows at East. But it's not as common as it used to be.

I think it's a combination of things including: show design, audience demographics, and a recent focus on intellectual/aesthic elements in lieu of emotion.

Quite frankly I can't imagine anyone saying that a show which sits at a "high-level" for ten minutes is superior to a show with peaks and valleys, tension and release, and (most of all) emotional effect. To me at least -- shows with ebb and flow, powerful impacts and soaring beauty are well-designed. A show that hit's a level of "effect" and then maintains that for 10 minutes is failing to achieve a fundamental aspect of good design. In fact I' might argue that such a show is NOT generating much effect at all. Shows need contrast and variety to achieve maximum effect.

Conversely I DO want to see excellence start to finish. But IMO excellence without a design that exploits every aspect of effect (intellectual, emotional, aesthetic) and exhibits little contrast is actually pretty boring for a general audience.

• Like 1

OP SynthLine, if true, this is not a new trend this year. There used to be a lot more emotional response at drum corps shows with repeated standing O's. There is a contagion factor to it. Some shows may yet catch fire this year at the bigger shows and produce the kind of response you have in mind, as that is more likely to happen in the second half of the season as corps really get on top of their shows. The corps are trying to be more entertaining this season by design, and it may yet pay off.

These corps have all been working hard to get their shows together. They all travel long trips and practice ridiculous hours. They haven't seen family for months. And the weather has been extreme lately. They ALL deserve our support and applause. That is the reason they compete. There is no monetary reward. They perform for our entertainment, and all they ask in return, is our approval. So get off your ### and get off your hands.

• Like 1

There are regional things that play into it also. The crowds on the east, especially those New England shows.. the crowd is much more energized. I noticed in many other parts of the county especially the south and Texas things are a little less energetic. Heck, we had better crowd reaction in the East for our boring ### shows than anywhere else except for maybe Texas because we were the home team. I remember watching the Cadets from a distance backfield a few time in 09.. at the Jackson, NJ show there were 3 or 4 standing O's. In SA not so much.

I also noticed that if there is a show where there are a lot of hs band kids sitting in a concentrated area the crowd seems a lot more energetic... especially if there are a lot of guard girls in the crowd "OMG DID YOU SEE THAT TOSS!!!!" stuff like that.

Another thing I noticed as a member of a crowd is that there is a lot more tension in the crowd. There are a ton of rude people carrying on full out conversations, letting their cell phones ring, coming in and out of the stands during a performance. Audience etiquette is out the window.. and it ruins the experience for many people. And I don't care that you can see your best friend's son on the 50 holding a dented up tuba... maybe he shouldn't have ticked(i know it could have been a million other things)... or maybe you should shut up. I don't care if you cheer and stand up in the middle of a show for a corps. But the talking, and conversations are just downright rude.

Honestly... I don't think it is a drum corps problem. I think it is a society problem. Common courtesy is lost these days.

There is a contagion factor to it. Some shows may yet catch fire this year at the bigger shows and produce the kind of response you have in mind, as that is more likely to happen in the second half of the season as corps really get on top of their shows. The corps are trying to be more entertaining this season by design, and it may yet pay off.

I agree that there is an inertia to crowd response, and that this year is THE year to try to change the patterns. If those of us who want the crowd to go wild throughout the show make it a policy to do so ourselves no matter what the folks around are doing, then it will spread. :thumbup:

Also, anyone who's tweeting more than once per show (during the breaks!) is spending too much time on their cell phone and not enough time cheering. Put that thing away! :w00t:

Edited by skywhopper

Last night at Broken Arrow we were "blueing" after the Bluecoats show and this lady in front of us jerked around and was giving us the stink eye with her mouth gaping open. Then someone told her we were "blueing" not "booing".

I stand up at the end of every performance but I think it's funny that people might think I really liked the corps when I just needed to stretch my legs ( or pass gas )

:shutup: