Greedy, Inhospitable Van Buren, Arkansas

I had a horrible experience at the Van Buren, Arkansas show after driving two hours just to get there and paying $28 to get in. At intermission I really needed to go to my car to get another seat cushion and some Advil to make myself more comfortable. But no. The event staff at the gate told me that if I left I would have to buy another ticket plus pay the $3 DCI surcharge to get back in. I told the gate Nazi that that was ridiculous and he said it was DCI policy.

I went to find two other event staff and asked if there was a problem for me to go to my car to get some medication. They both told me that it was DCI policy from the "upper ups" that I would have to pay to get back in. I told them I would never be attending their show again. I've faithfully attended their show for 4 years, buying the highest priced tickets, concessions, merchandise, and donating $ to the corps for gas. Is that how they treat their guests?

I can't believe DCI would do that. I really hope it was just the local event staff's rules and saying it was from higher up.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it is becoming universal. Even high school sporting events have started doing it. Heck, I remember when I was a kid you could go to the high school football games for free after halftime! Good Ole Dayz.

If that were DCI policy, then people wouldn't be able to visit our souvie trailers at a lot the shows we do because a lot of stadiums don't have room for us to fit on the inside. I personally saw the event staff doing hand stamping at the Bowling Green show and I'm certain that's not the only show that does it.

• Like 1

That's really weird. The two shows I was at, Clovis and Stanford, you could just walk in and out as you pleased. They stamped hands at the gate, then you were free to go. How else are you supposed to visit the souvies, or watch corps in the lot?

I will say though, I know that stadium, and you don't have to leave to go souvie shopping, but to watch corps warm up, you do need to leave, then walk about 4 blocks. :tongue: But, it's a good way to keep people from skipping the lower corps and only watching the top ones....

Had this happen to me several times in the past including the last DCI Championships in Madison.

This year, at Minneapolis, we were handed a wristband right away. It was up to us to choose whether or not to put it on, but with it on we could get in either main staircase, not just the entrance side.

At the first TOC show in Rockford, you got your hand stamped. Not the best thing to do because it was so HOT. The stamp didn't work on my hand at all....but I wasn't going anywhere anyway.

I can't believe there are that many people gate crashing that they cannot just stamp your hand or give you a wristband for entrance/exit......but in answer to your question, YES it happens and getting to be typical.

Edited by rkfdPRphan

You should have just walked back in. I seriously doubt any of them would ever have the cahones to throw you out

I had a horrible experience at the Van Buren, Arkansas show after driving two hours just to get there and paying $28 to get in. At intermission I really needed to go to my car to get another seat cushion and some Advil to make myself more comfortable. But no. The event staff at the gate told me that if I left I would have to buy another ticket plus pay the $3 DCI surcharge to get back in. I told the gate Nazi that that was ridiculous and he said it was DCI policy.

I went to find two other event staff and asked if there was a problem for me to go to my car to get some medication. They both told me that it was DCI policy from the "upper ups" that I would have to pay to get back in. I told them I would never be attending their show again. I've faithfully attended their show for 4 years, buying the highest priced tickets, concessions, merchandise, and donating $ to the corps for gas. Is that how they treat their guests?

Wow. I've never heard of such a thing at a DCI show. I've attended 2 so far this year and both used hand stamps to allow spectators to leave the stadium and re-enter. I usually leave during intermission to watch warm-ups. I always just show my hand stamp and sometimes they want to see my ticket stub.

That really sucks you couldn't go back to your car.

I suspect this is more about some messed up stadium policy. The concession vendors in so many of these stadium would charge you for the air you breath if they could get away with it. I have seen some really ridiculous searches going on at the entrance to every event I have been to lately.... including sporting events. They use the guise of protecting us from terrorist as a way to charge you $10 for a small bag of Cheetos.

For the last few years I have simply referred to stadium staff as the "Aramark Gestapo".

Edited by musclebud