Greedy, Inhospitable Van Buren, Arkansas

What isn't mentioned is that you have your original ticket stub. Aren't the tickets basicly all the same for DCI shows. The tickets say DCI and when you go in the first time they take the end of the ticket off and leave you with the larger stub that has your seat assignment on it. That in it self should show that you had already paid to get into the event. There is no mention on the ticket stub about a reentry fee.

As for needing an extra cushion maybe you should not have gone on a diet before you went to AR. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

As for needing an extra cushion maybe you should not have gone on a diet before you went to AR. :thumbdown:

lol Neil. Us old foggies need Advil just to get through a show.

OP, I trust you've voiced your concerns directly to DCI by now, and that you're just venting on DCP, right?

I just now saw an email I got back from DCI. They confirmed there is no DCI policy requiring you to repay if you leave the stadium. They said in fact they want people to enjoy the social experience of going to hear warmups, etc. so there should be handstamps.

That doesn't sound like a DCI policy, it sounds like some Nazi Arkansas school stadium policy. thumbdown.gif

I had a horrible experience at the Van Buren, Arkansas show after driving two hours just to get there and paying $28 to get in. At intermission I really needed to go to my car to get another seat cushion and some Advil to make myself more comfortable. But no. The event staff at the gate told me that if I left I would have to buy another ticket plus pay the $3 DCI surcharge to get back in. I told the gate Nazi that that was ridiculous and he said it was DCI policy.

I went to find two other event staff and asked if there was a problem for me to go to my car to get some medication. They both told me that it was DCI policy from the "upper ups" that I would have to pay to get back in. I told them I would never be attending their show again. I've faithfully attended their show for 4 years, buying the highest priced tickets, concessions, merchandise, and donating $ to the corps for gas. Is that how they treat their guests?

I was at the show this year in "Old Bridge NJ" and left the stadium to go to my car and came back and had no problems at all. I told the girl at the gate that I would be right back and she did not have any problem with it and was very courteous and accommodating. Of course this show was not hosted by DCI, so perhaps that is where there is difference in the policy.

I will say that I was very disappointed at a show Hosted by DCI in Annapolis Maryland a few years back where I needed special assistance for my father. He was prohibited from using an elevator to the upper level where we had seats. Of course one could argue we should just of sat in handicapped seats down lower, but why should we have to do that when an elevator was available?

Edited by Liahona

I had a horrible experience at the Van Buren, Arkansas show after driving two hours just to get there and paying $28 to get in. At intermission I really needed to go to my car to get another seat cushion and some Advil to make myself more comfortable. But no. The event staff at the gate told me that if I left I would have to buy another ticket plus pay the $3 DCI surcharge to get back in. I told the gate Nazi that that was ridiculous and he said it was DCI policy.

I went to find two other event staff and asked if there was a problem for me to go to my car to get some medication. They both told me that it was DCI policy from the "upper ups" that I would have to pay to get back in. I told them I would never be attending their show again. I've faithfully attended their show for 4 years, buying the highest priced tickets, concessions, merchandise, and donating $ to the corps for gas. Is that how they treat their guests?

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people & policies are. We have an activity that is pretty much on life support & struggling financially, & we have people & policies like this. If this activity doesn't become more customer friendly, it wont be around much longer. Heck, even the Chicago Cubs are letting people switch seats & sit where they want when there are lots of empty seats.

You should have just walked back in. I seriously doubt any of them would ever have the cahones to throw you out

I don't know...If they had the ca hones to post the rule, I can see them trying to enforce it.

But, I've never heard of this rule, and I've been attached to our show for three years on staff, and been going to shows since the '70s. I'm 99.99999% certain that the rule is not DCI's (they could have changed the rules that day, I suppose). I went to my car twice this year and I just showed my ticket stub to get back in. No problem.

And, from the event staff's perspective, what possible advantage would there be to keeping you locked in? Even if souvies were inside the fence, what's the point? I revert to occam's Razor that the simplest answer is probably the right one. I just can't figure out what the rationale could be.

I just now saw an email I got back from DCI. They confirmed there is no DCI policy requiring you to repay if you leave the stadium. They said in fact they want people to enjoy the social experience of going to hear warmups, etc. so there should be handstamps.

I have personally emailed DCI on several issues in the past and never even got a reply back. I've since given up making any requests to them as all of them have fallen on deaf ears. This is just my own experience and I cannot say anything about others.

• Like 1

Now that it's confirmed that it's not DCI's policy, it would be wise to isolate the reason why the rule was enforced before we chastise the event staff.

Could be they were trying to respond to past fans who said it took too long to enter the gate, and they decided to just take tickets instead of tearing them. If that's the case they needed Sharpies as a simple solution. If they forgot the box of Sharpies (things happen) they may have had no choice but to restrict the exit.

Still that doesn't excuse blaming DCI for a $3 up-charge.

So, Yea! this sound like a major swindle by a show sponsor to line it's pockets! (...or maybe help his show not lose money). Let's drive stakes and light the fires!

(I kid.)

But seriously, I think they should be called on their involving DCI, and should be told that if it's a policy they can't do it when there's a DCI event there.

'swat I would do.