A complete list of every Cavalier snare drummer!

Paul,

Thanks for sharing the list. It was interesting seeing Larry McCormick's name on the list in '55 and '56. I didn't know that Sal Ferrera played snare (early '50s). If I recall, wasn't he the principle brass arranger for the Cavaliers in the 60s?

Sal was an extraordinary talent - in almost anything he pursued. Yes, he was a snare drummer in the corps but became a self-taught brass arranger extraordinaire! In his "real life" he held a Ph.D. in Economics, worked tirelessly for the cause of Civil Rights when it wasn't popular to do so, and countless other endeavors.

See more at this link: http://preserveourcorpsmemories.com/SalFerreraObituary.htm

Sal was an extraordinary talent - in almost anything he pursued. Yes, he was a snare drummer in the corps but became a self-taught brass arranger extraordinaire! In his "real life" he held a Ph.D. in Economics, worked tirelessly for the cause of Civil Rights when it wasn't popular to do so, and countless other endeavors.

See more at this link: http://preserveourcorpsmemories.com/SalFerreraObituary.htm

Thanks for the link Paul.

I didn't know any of that great backround about Sal. I only knew him through his

brief association with the Kilties All Age corps in 2000. Sal arranged music

from the movie "Last of the Mohicans" (Title Theme, Scottish Dance, Fort Battle)

for the 2000 field show. He was fantastic in front of the horn line, always

passionate and inspirational. To this day, those arrangements remain among my

wife Lisa's all time favorite drum corps arrangements. Too bad we didn't have the

percussion section to really do them justice that season.

RIP Sal. You are gone but not forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...

edited because now his name is showing up--weird......

Edited by Fishbone

edited because now his name is showing up--weird......

Yep . . . a couple tweaks made as we learned more.

• 1 month later...

About 30 of the 200 Cavalier snare drummers got together today for six hours of drumming, videotaping, and fun.

Snare drummers represented the years 1954 through 1996. Most of the guys were from the 60s, 70s, and a few 80s and 90s.

We videotaped full or partial lines for about 15 or 16 different years.

Nicest part was drumming with the gentleman from the 1954 snare line as he was brought from his hospital bed in a wheel chair to be with us. He was assisted and stood up by a drum and played warm up exercises with us.

He has terminal brain cancer. We likely won't see him again in the near future.

A wonderful, wonderful day and we're going to try to get 100 together next summer if we can, including the last surviving original snare drummer from out first year on the field in 1949.

The longest marching Cavalier in our history (9 years) is Paul Leo (1968 - 1976). He was a tenor for four years and a snare for five years. Still one of my best friends who I see at least weekly . . . 43 years after we met at practice!

Dont forget Hartowicz who also had 9 years. 69-77 aging out as guard sargeant. I am sure there are others. In my group of friends I am still called "new guy" as Pawlowski was there 68-76. Gengler 69-76, Zakosek 69-76 and so on....When I came up from Marion in 75 I only got 5 seasons therefore still and always to them...the new guy. You would know better than I some of those kids who spent many years in the corps although I have always been surprised by the numbers of Morton Grove COugars, Berwyn Knights, Norwood, Neisei and other local corps members that finished out in Cavaliers even back to the 50's.

Might be a nice thread or list to start...... the number of guys in the Cavaliers who were there more than five years. Only 2 this year but I noticed with the recession there are a lot more local kids and the the lines were much younger this summer moreso than the last 10.