DCI Southwestern Championship

So what would you do to make Boston show more interesting. IMO It is a very special show and enjoyed by many of the fans. Great year for drum corp kids have worked hard in that heat. Have a great day.

You like the show. That's your opinion. I don't like it. That's my opinion. Yes, the kids worked hard. The fact that I don't like the show is more the designers' fault, is it not?

SAME. Wondered since the start what, historically, let alone musically, connects these works. Perhaps some of the know it alls will grace us mortals with guidance

(takes the bait)

(puts on historian's hat)

The French Revolution was an extremely long, complex historical event that went through countless stages. After the overthrow of Louis XVI in 1789, France became a republic, dictatorship, republic, empire, monarchy, and republic again over the next 60 years. Included in this time period are Napoleon's empire (whose failed invasion of Moscow inspired the 1812 Overture) and Les Miserables, which occurred during the Bourbon Restoration immediately afterwards from 1815-1832.

In a nutshell, they are connected, but you are totally right to question the historical link because it is kind of weak.

• Like 1

After listening to Boston's show, I have only two major concerns - 1) the Les Mis stuff is far superior to the 1812 stuff they play, which makes the transitions kind of jarring, and 2) they don't do the big finish of 1812, instead cutting off at the end of the build. Musically, that's ... kind of frustrating on two levels, really, especially as they then launch into a stylized version of One Day More without the build from *that* song. Other than that I thought it was a pretty neat show - a lot of fun.

Mike

The fact that I don't like the show is more the designers' fault, is it not?

No.. not neccessarily.For example, there are some Corps music or visuals that I find boring. But I would not ascribe that to the show designers " fault ". It only means that the show designer and I have different opinions on the show's music and/ or visuals entertainment value, thats all. Its actually nobody's " fault ", I would say.

Edited by BRASSO

No.. not neccessarily.For example, there are some Corps music or visuals that I find boring. But I would not ascribe that to the show designers " fault ". It only means that the show designer and I have different opinions on the show's music and/ or visuals entertainment value, thats all. Its actually nobody's " fault ", I would say.

Fair enough.

Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. if you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you a boundary line to music. But man there is no boundary line to art. ( Charlie "yardbird" Parker).

So was I. 1812 Overture.... Les Miserables.... I don't really see the connection there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_Overture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Misérables

They are not directly related but as you can see, there are some concepts that can be brought together under the idea of 'Revolution'. No one said musical examples always have to be perfectly connected.

• Like 1