DCI San Antonio

My suggestion to the rather sour poster who finds the OP's reviews so consistently slanted is simply to stop tormenting yourself by reading them all.

Or at least consider turning on the charm a little more when engaging him in a debate.

which is why people have stopped doing reviews.

I had to watch San Antonio on the FN, which is wonderful in itself. But I did attend the top 8 show in Rockford a few days before, so my comments likely reflect some of both.

I do feel the Blue Devils are better than described above, mainly because so many of the comments from last year were not at all happy with their musical choices for a couple of years. I think that this year they should get some fan credits for playing lovely music. I am sure the horn performance will improve radically soon.

I agree with the placements so far, and think that the top four could finish in any order. Any order would please me. The visual of The Cadets is incredible, the brass from Crown is the best to me, the Cavies are more fun than anyone else and can easily rule. BD fascinates me by backing up their lines around those poles so perfectly, and they make a good point with that home.

I love Phantom's East of Eden opener, as well as the marvelous A Time For Us. The overpass by Blue Star works for me. Very clever and inventive.

Here I want to explain that I am one of those fans that is more attracted by the choice and performance of music that the complexity of a drill. There are a few drill moves over the years that stay in my memory (like the Z pull), but music stays there forever. I can close my eyes and hear Madison playing Charmaine at least 50 years ago. Therefore, I can't really appreciate fully this years Santa Clara show, and several others including Spirit and the Troopers. The Blue Knights are playing the Folk Song Suite which I love and equate with the Kingsmen and 27th, and others I'm sure.

I am not a sophisticate about drum corps, I just love to watch and listen to it, whenever and wherever I can. I do know I am not alone about the music. Hopefully, there will be more for me to appreciate every year.

• Like 1

Cadets- I feel they're getting mangled being in the 4-6 draw slot and it may be keeping the from getting serious title consideration!

This. A million times, this.

And that sucks. :sad:

Yeah and Atlanta has a really screwy lineup as well... It doesn't make sense to do placement grouping draws because the placement groupings may not be accurate.. For instance Cadets are getting 5-6 place time slot instead of 1-4 where they belong. 8-11 should march without the 12th place corps(no offense meant here, these corps going for 12th are fantastic) swapping times with them! I just don't see why you can't take the rank of SA and MN and have the corps march in the order of placement. Especially after SA as many corps didn't attend MN'

Wes P

Hey Wes. I think you did a great review, thanks for doing it! :thumbup:

I tend to agree with you about BD's show this year. Love the music, but their visual programs really bug me, but it's easy to clean when you stand still and move props. If enough people say the same thing, will the BD homers get it, or will they still call us un-educated haters? I just think as long as the judges keep rewarding it, they'll keep doing it....

Hope you see some more shows, and review more this season!

So, the question remains, why is BD getting such high visual scores for doing NOTHING? (comparatively speaking)

This is the first year in a while I've liked them musically but, good God, there is no visual program. (comparatively speaking)

So, the question remains, why is BD getting such high visual scores for doing NOTHING? (comparatively speaking)

This is the first year in a while I've liked them musically but, good God, there is no visual program. (comparatively speaking)

Because it's really easy to be clean when you don't move very far? Standing still is the easiest thing in the world to polish.

Because it's really easy to be clean when you don't move very far? Standing still is the easiest thing in the world to polish.

Agreed. But doesn't content/choreogrophy(sp)count for anything? They should be scoring in the bottom half of the top twelve based on lack of content (comparatively speaking). Park & Bark, pick up you PVC, move it over there and then Park & Bark again, is not intertaining visually. (IMO)