Synthesized Apocolypse

Pray tell they dont mic each individual brass instrument and mIx them on a soundboard only to be mixed ed and sent out a stadium feed. Better yet get auto tuners installed to make perfect pitch. Where will the madness end? Hell give each musician a electronic wind instrument and BAM ! Instant band!!!

How about they just run with this idea?

We already have shows where the horn line puts their horns down while dancing and doing drill work to the pit and synthesizers so I am sure someone (think Cadets or Crown) will take it further and just have a dozen or so horns with wireless mics and 8 keyboard players and lots of guard. We really shouldn't give GH any more bad ideas!!!

Somebody posted a "wisecrack" idea on another thread and I thought I'd break it out into a new thread because while it's a bit hyperbolic (for now), isn't it the ultimate conclusion to what has been started by allowing synths?

I know this was a wisecrack, but what if a corps actually did something like that? Okay...maybe they wouldn't ever actually record their entire show, but how long will it be until they record different parts of their show to "overlay" on the parts being played with the use of a keyboard? Perhaps they are doing an obscenely difficult drill and playing at the same time and they need to "supplement" the sound to cover their feet.

Really...how far out is this?

Really far: as in, never gonna happen far.

Not meaning to pick on you, Granny, as generally your posts are pretty even tempered. But really, this uber reactionary fear mongering junk gets REALLY old :rolleyes:

Granny: I've received a grant to explore the introduction of holograms to the field. Some day, my hope is all music will be pre-recorded by professional musicians and all marching will be done through the use of holography. The guard work will be computer generated. We'll all go sit in the comfort of our homes, put on 3-D headsets and will enjoy PERFECT drum corps performances from every corps. Wilson III, the grandsonputer of IBM's Wilson who won at Jeopardy will process it all and declare a winner. No gasoline expense for the corps, no sunburn, no bad seats.

This link is the pinpoint example of why I hate most rock and roll.

The same 4 measures, 8 measures, over and over again.

Repulsive. If this comes to the drum corps field I'll leave it behind exactly like I did R&R.

Give me classical, jazz, big band, and swing any day of the week.

I don't think you would like...

I don't think you would like... Philip Glass

---------------

You know who you might like....?

remember that guy... uh...

J- John Somebody...?

uh.... he was uh... he was a sort of a....

(you've got to give it up for his involuntary songs, though)

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

It used to be commonplace... that's one of the things that made drumcorps so interesting back in the olden days.

What could be MUCH MUCH more interesting is for corps to experiment with

, rather than only sampled.

I'd love to see a winter percussion program with vintage synths...or a theremin like

or

Synthesizers could be VERY cool... would be nice to see a bit broader exploration of what you can do with them other than just the current sampling and sonic tofu filler to make the meat go further.

Have u seen the Japanese robots that can play wind instruments?? Maybe the trend is to have all the kids stay at home and control their bot remotely. U will never have a hole or anyone complain about the heat or water breaks.

Have u seen the Japanese robots that can play wind instruments?? Maybe the trend is to have all the kids stay at home and control their bot remotely. U will never have a hole or anyone complain about the heat or water breaks.

..and a MUCH fatter population than we already have. Actually, after going to the TOC in Rockford I am AMAZED the stands are able to sustain all that weight.

Really far: as in, never gonna happen far.

Not meaning to pick on you, Granny, as generally your posts are pretty even tempered. But really, this uber reactionary fear mongering junk gets REALLY old :rolleyes:

Maybe it's not entirely hyperbolic.

Two weeks ago, if someone posed the scenario of corps playing pre-recorded brass or amplifying battery percussion, I'd have pointed out that those two acts are specifically prohibited by DCI rules. But now I've seen them done on the contest field repeatedly without penalty. When it comes to electronics, rules apparently just don't matter.