DCI Dallas

Just a few quick thoughts on the DCI Dallas show - it was the show's 35th anniversary, but my first time at Lake Highlands since marching there in high school. I was very surprised that the center section was not full - the tickets were ridiculously expensive ($45), so maybe that was why? Overall, the crowd was good and participative.

Forte - my first time seeing this corps. Overall, I think the show is over-complicated for the size and maturity level of the group. The 'bed' props on the field really add nothing to the show. I am not a big fan of the colorguard acting like children thing, as it has been done so many times by so many groups. The hornline made a good effort, but there were some noticeable tuning issues, especially during the ballad. As with most groups, the colorguard struggled with wind, but overall did a good job. Drumline and pit solid - I liked the all-black pit uniforms much better than the corps proper uniforms.

Pioneer - There is not much to say that has not already been said regarding this corps. Not the best Pioneer product I have seen, but definitely not the worst. I like their classic look, the drumline was powerful, the drum major was fun to watch, and the hornline was small and powerful.

Mandarins - I really enjoyed this program. I think it was written to the ability and maturity of the corps. Although smaller than previous Mandarin corps, I felt this group was more engaging and sold the performance more than in years past. The colorguard uniforms really coordinated well with the rest of the corps, which made the corps look bigger than it was. My only criticism is that all of the flags were washed-out solid colors with the appearance of practice flags. The drumline and hornline were both good - a good crowd reaction after the contra feature.

Crossmen - At the end of the night, this was my 2nd favorite show. Just a great show, and the Texas crowd was really receptive. Each section contributed and was featured very well during the show. Hallelujah was one of the musical highlights of the night for me. There are so many great corps this year, and I am afraid that Crossmen (on paper) will have another down year. But anyone who has seen them live can attest to the fact that this corps is well ahead of last year's. Loved the ending with the tribute to the early 90's Crossmen. I hope this one moves up!

Academy - I really like the all-black look on the field - very distinctive and gives them a 'presence' that their previous uniforms did not. Their sound was noticeably stronger and more balanced than Crossmen. Their show was enjoyable as well, with lots of 'hummable' melodies. The colorguard was the antithesis of the 'all-grey' colorguards of their competitors. I have never seen lime green vinyl overcoats - maybe a little much, but really stood out! I, personally, enjoyed Crossmen more, but think Academy will place ahead of them in Indy.

Glassmen - I remember very little about this show, actually. It was the first of the 'dark/grey' corps - the colorguard's overacting started way before step-off, and got a little tiresome. Unfortunately, all I could think of was the beginning of Mad World, and the Cavies did it much better. The characters in the show spend a lot of time running around, but there is very little storyline development. All sections of the corps were good, but I think this group will have a hard time holding on to their Saturday night spot.

Blue Stars - Wow, they can play! A great sound from top to bottom. The colorguard was overwritten and will have a hard time cleaning everything they are attempting - that said, they have some great performers and effects. I am not sure that the scaffolding works - it limits their field coverage quite a bit, and the impact of the different sections using the ramps was minimal. I really wanted to like this show, but it did not click for me.

Santa Clara Vanguard - I think I 'got' the program tonight. They have improved so much, but I was surprised to see them top Bluecoats, especially since BC topped them in drums. The drill design is amazing, the colorguard adds so much, and the hornline is getting there. I see them placing in roughly the same place as last year come Indy - and the crowd will be pretty polarized on this show. The corps got a good reaction - my 3rd favorite of the night.

Cadets - The obvious winner last night, and I could see them on top in a few weeks. The show is cleverly designed, and all sections are at the top of the activity. The drill design is masterful. My problem with the Cadets is that they over-accessorize. At a certain point, it just becomes cluttered. The 'hide the guard' screens on the sideline now have some architecture with angels, but it is super busy! See last year's Toy Souldier show for additional examples of overdoing it! That said, this is the Cadets I fell in love with 20 years ago!

Bluecoats - I am not sure you have heard, but the start with Radiohead's 'Creep' :smile: I really liked the ballad last night - the pit player who contributes to the colorguard did a great job during the ballad. I really enjoyed the rifle feature during the ballad. I was not a fan of the color scheme of the guard. Horns and drums are fantastic as always, but there was something missing from the show. As others have said, it seemed like they took last year's formula and repeated it, but to less effect. Following the Cadets was tough as well.

Encore: Cadets - played 'On a Hymnsong of Phillip Bliss' from their 1993 program. A bit of 'Rocky Point Holiday', 'William Tell', and 'Moondance' - all arranged in a humorous way. You could tell they put time into the repertoire and the crowd that stayed really appreciated it.