Put a price on this...

Excellent post. Thank you.

• Like 1

Drum Corps kids

This is my kid. He's been watching DC since before his second birthday. He's 16. He filled spot #150 with Madison two weeks before the first show this year. He doesn't particularly care what the scores are (except that a classmate is marching in a competing corps!) He's been bitten by the bug that lives in the roar of the crowd. He's learned that hard work has rewards, that trust is earned and shared, and that his old man (a DC fossil from the 80's) is only half full of crap. He's learned that his limit is further out than he ever imagined.

While the discussions we have here on DCP run the gamut, from thoughtful to _____________, lets remember the real value of this activity and why it is worthwhile. Pardon my bias, but drum corps kids have been and will continue to be something incredibly special. Of anything we may have "lost" along the way, this is the thing that is sacred.

Here, here!!

• Like 1

Learning the value of drum corps = great life lessons;

Learning the value of hard work and achievement = self esteem and persistence;

learning that your old man is only have full of crap = winning more arguments;

Marching with the Madison Scouts = Priceless;

Mastercard: we're there when your father's crap is not enough!

• Like 6

Learning the value of drum corps = great life lessons;

Learning the value of hard work and achievement = self esteem and persistence;

learning that your old man is only have full of crap = winning more arguments;

Marching with the Madison Scouts = Priceless;

Mastercard: we're there when your father's crap is not enough!

You, sir, are a man to be admired. LOL!

Drum Corps kids

This is my kid. He's been watching DC since before his second birthday. He's 16. He filled spot #150 with Madison two weeks before the first show this year. He doesn't particularly care what the scores are (except that a classmate is marching in a competing corps!) He's been bitten by the bug that lives in the roar of the crowd. He's learned that hard work has rewards, that trust is earned and shared, and that his old man (a DC fossil from the 80's) is only half full of crap. He's learned that his limit is further out than he ever imagined.

While the discussions we have here on DCP run the gamut, from thoughtful to _____________, lets remember the real value of this activity and why it is worthwhile. Pardon my bias, but drum corps kids have been and will continue to be something incredibly special. Of anything we may have "lost" along the way, this is the thing that is sacred.

WELL stated.

Drum Corps kids

Absolutely. This is why any proposal to kill off any Drum Corps, should be met with strong resistance. If a Corps dies out, it should only be of their own making. No group should decide to throw them over the cliff. We should want MORE people to have the experience your Son is having... not less opportunities. Placements and scores are indeed important, but it should never become the sole reason why a Drum Corps exists.. or continues to exist.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Drum Corps kids

I know exactly what you have said here, I just could not put it in those words ! Thank You ! :worthy:

PM me please. I want to be sure and meet your son.

Bill Leslie

Edited by Bill L.

Drum Corps kid's photo

Like this alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!