Put a price on this...

When you get the chance, tell your son he is a STUD, and a huge thanks for all of his hard work.

And thank you for this post. I see where the studliness comes from :thumbup:

This, my fellow curmudgeons and nay-sayers, is why drum corps has value. It's why it has ALWAYS had value...

Most of these members do NOT become music teachers, they simply become leaders in whatever field they've chosen. They lead because they must...they've been re-born to it via the life changing experiences of drum corps...and we all do well to tout THIS aspect when introducing newbies to our activity.

Drum Corps kid's photo

This is my kid. He's been watching DC since before his second birthday. He's 16. He filled spot #150 with Madison two weeks before the first show this year. He doesn't particularly care what the scores are (except that a classmate is marching in a competing corps!) He's been bitten by the bug that lives in the roar of the crowd. He's learned that hard work has rewards, that trust is earned and shared, and that his old man (a DC fossil from the 80's) is only half full of crap. He's learned that his limit is further out than he ever imagined.

While the discussions we have here on DCP run the gamut, from thoughtful to _____________, lets remember the real value of this activity and why it is worthwhile. Pardon my bias, but drum corps kids have been and will continue to be something incredibly special. Of anything we may have "lost" along the way, this is the thing that is sacred.

It's just that simple! Thanks!

This, my fellow curmudgeons and nay-sayers, is why drum corps has value. It's why it has ALWAYS had value...

Most of these members do NOT become music teachers, they simply become leaders in whatever field they've chosen. They lead because they must...they've been re-born to it via the life changing experiences of drum corps...and we all do well to tout THIS aspect when introducing newbies to our activity.

Wow! Nicely said. I love this thread!

• 2 months later...

Drum Corps kid's photo

This is my kid. He's been watching DC since before his second birthday. He's 16. He filled spot #150 with Madison two weeks before the first show this year. He doesn't particularly care what the scores are (except that a classmate is marching in a competing corps!) He's been bitten by the bug that lives in the roar of the crowd. He's learned that hard work has rewards, that trust is earned and shared, and that his old man (a DC fossil from the 80's) is only half full of crap. He's learned that his limit is further out than he ever imagined.

While the discussions we have here on DCP run the gamut, from thoughtful to _____________, lets remember the real value of this activity and why it is worthwhile. Pardon my bias, but drum corps kids have been and will continue to be something incredibly special. Of anything we may have "lost" along the way, this is the thing that is sacred.

Love the smile. Priceless!

Here, here.

And if you want him to know what someone totally full of the c-stuff looks like, send him my way.

Or "hear, hear"........

Whichever, a great thread!

This is a much better discussion of the value of drum corps than Danielray could EVER come up with.

Dude,

Let's hear your ideas on improvement... Or are you just one of those who complain without anything positive to add? Thats my guess... :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Dude,

Let's hear your ideas on improvement... Or are you just one of those who complain without anything positive to add? Thats my guess... :thumbdown:

Nah. I don't complain because I believe DCI is doing a bang-up job of producing amazing young adults. You guess wrong! :sleeping:

• Like 2