An electronics explanation for all the haters

I did. I've seen that before. Most people marching drum corps aren't that musically aware, which was my point.

Well... she would like to. She was at the Seattle show.

How about

?

As an aside....

. The world definitely cannot have too many
brass. Edited by danielray

Well... she would like to. She was at the Seattle show.

How about

?

As an aside....

. The world definitely cannot have too many super hot Scandinavian girls playing trumpet.

I totally agree, these are some great performers, and there are some great individual performers in DCI, but so what? It is not the norm.

I go back to 74 (first year of keyboards and the back sideline start), but can't remember any rules changes that were later rescinded. In general, the nature of changes has been incremental (2 valves, then 3 valves, then any key horns), though most rule changes have also had backwards compatible (if someone WANTED to use marching keyboards, they certainly could). Same is true with A & E - some corps could choose not to use it, if they wanted to.

Perhaps the way forward would be to find language in the rules that would specifically prohibit judges from penalizing, consciously or unconciously, corps who choose not to use it. My take is that each corps should be judged by what they choose to put on the field against a standard of excellence within that style, the same we allow that a string quartet and a great stadium rock show can both be excellent, even though they choose different styles.

Same year here too.... and interesting all the optional stuff over the decades that became manditory like pits being on the sheets, etc, etc. So:

#1 Once DC goes there, they don't go back

#2 "optional" now doesn't mean "optional" in the future....

As for members controlling sound boards.... hey that could be part of an electronics/sound majors training, just like music majors playing in corps.

Not gonna wade through a million posts of probably the same bickering so excuse me if this has already been discussed.

Two things:

There wasn't really an explanation of anything in this post. Obviously speakers aren't going to project the sound uniformly throughout the audience but to excuse it on the basis that they're playing to the judges is a lot of ####. The judges aren't paying for that show, the other way around. The other points are moot as well, not going to go 1 by 1 since most people already have and I doubt the OP is reading all of this anyway. I've had a much better "elections explanation" in my physics class, without misnomers like "hater." Which leads to...

"Hater" is possibly the most overused term today by people who want to feel more important than they really are. I don't like hearing a synthesizer when I go to a drum corps show. It mildly irritates me when I'm watching or listening to DCI where it is offensively used. The time I spend doing anything related to DCI is much less than 1% of my life. Even then I don't let it ruin a good time with my friends and an activity I still like. Hardly a "hater" and I'm positive most of the haters on here are very good people who take issue with certain aspects of one of the many things they are/were involved in.

I'm assuming from the low post count it's either a puppet or a drive-by post so nothing to take too seriously.

• Like 1

Hello DCP, I love all the heated debates on here. It is so nice to see discusssions going on here rather than facebook or some other social networking outlet. However, I felt the need to at least take a few moments to address some consistent concerns amongst the DCP community at large. I have some experience in the area of electronics/sound reinforcement as well as brass arranging and sound design. I would hope you would all at least take this into consideration before flaming me into the pits of hell :)

I'll try to touch on a few key points here, sorry if the thought process is a bit disjunct

1. "Thunderous Goo"

A. If you are not right behind the judges at every venue in their exact spot, please don't complain about the mix. EVERY corps is mixing for the judges and if you are in the lower level just know that you will be getting an absurd amount of speaker sound. This is even more true in venues where the lower level creates a BASS TRAP that does not allow the desired electronic low frequencies to cut to the box. This is an acoustic phenomenon that is unique to each venue. Any corps at any time may be required to boost their subs to kick some more juice up to the top if the venue's lower level creates a BASS TRAP that cuts the amount of low frequencies traveling to the judge's box. Google BASS TRAP

I stopped reading here, and I'm not about to read the rest of the 21 pages. This is the problem. "... mixing for the judges..."?

• Like 1

:huh:

And to think I had trouble remembering instructions like...

"OK - drumline - mark time for 8 and then go straight down the 50 until you get to that puddle in the middle of the field...."

haha :satisfied: that made me smile! Reminds me of when I marched. Sorry, I'm a met, i'm good at math :tongue: