An electronics explanation for all the haters

I too am put off by the use of electronics by today's corps. But, I have still gone to at least one show per year just to check out where the activity is. I am bored by most programs. To me the bigger problem that DCI has to address is the cost of taking a family to a show. Yep, I know that is for another thread but it is a major reason why attendance is down.

To sum up this tread...

Old people don't like electronics.

First, where is the dividing line between young and old? Second, I didn't like electronics when they first arrived in marching band 30 years ago. I wasn't "old" then.

Garry in Vegas

can we please just make a new law prohibiting electronics topics on DCP, although the original post was wonderfully written and i totally agree, it just opened the door for another 50 page grip session for all of those who hate electronics. I marched well before electronics, and if we had those tools, god only knows how much more our show could have been enhanced. My parents used to drive a Yugo, doesn't mean everyone should still be driving yugos, things evolve and grow.

Edited by bandman28

can we please just make a new law prohibiting electronics topics on DCP, although the original post was wonderfully written and i totally agree, it just opened the door for another 50 page grip session for all of those who hate electronics. I marched well before electronics, and if we had those tools, god only knows how much more our show could have been enhanced. My parents used to drive a Yugo, doesn't mean everyone should still be driving yugos, things evolve and grow.

Don't expect these topics to go away anytime soon. People are pretty passionate about this stuff.

Some see evolution and growth, some see a change to the fundimentals of the activity. Hence discussions on a discussion board. It's when people don't care enought to discuss the activity is really screwed.

IMO, it's like adding synths to bagpipe or brass bands as it makes their distinctive sound less distinctive.

Can we please just make a new law prohibiting electronics topics on DCP? Although the original post was wonderfully written and I totally agree, it just opened the door for another 50-page gripe session for all of those who hate electronics.

So you believe that only the judges, and not the audience, (i.e., the paying customers), should voice their opinions on synthesizer volume? That's what the original post says.

no just tired of the same old crap everytime you come to drum corps planet, instead of discussing what this corps and that corps are doing with their shows, we are rehashing an issue that has technically been going on since amplified pit in 2004. We don't make the rules, professionals do. I didn't insult any of you, just stating that our administrators need to just delete these topics, 7 years is enough, it is not going to change.

Ok, quick question, how would you feel ( or your parents ) if they were stuck driving Yugos the rest of their life or yours ?

Would they just take it and not gripe ?

no just tired of the same old crap everytime you come to drum corps planet, instead of discussing what this corps and that corps are doing with their shows, we are rehashing an issue that has technically been going on since amplified pit in 2004. We don't make the rules, professionals do. I didn't insult any of you, just stating that our administrators need to just delete these topics, 7 years is enough, it is not going to change.

There are other threads dedicated to what you want to discuss.