DCA: 1971 - 2011

In 1971 there were 17 corps at DCA Prelims

In 1981 there were 17 corps at DCA Prelims

In 1991 there were 17 corps at DCA Prelims

In 2001 there were 15 corps at DCA Prelims

In 2011 there will be 22 corps at DCA Prelims

(23 if SoCal Dream had been able to make it)

Sounds like DCA is doing something right these days...

Comparing 1971 drum corps to the 2011 version is an apples to oranges deal--so much has changed, it's a different activity now. But for sheer entertainment, thrills and excitement, I'd take the top 10 from 1971 DCA finals at Aquinas Stadium over 2011 anytime. Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, and Caballeros were absolutely electric! Not to mention, Buccaneers, Crusaders, Hurricanes, Les Dips, Sunrisers, and Brigadiers. And a huge crowd that filled the concert side from goal line to goal line and loved every minute of a truly great show.

• Like 1

Not to forget that in 2005 after we ( The Chicago Royal-Airs) performed our full field show at about 12:45 a.m. after the conclusion of the prelims shows Saturday night, we then came back at around 10:00 a.m. the next morning on Sunday and performed it all over again for the "Alumni Spectacular Show".

Comparing 1971 drum corps to the 2011 version is an apples to oranges deal--so much has changed, it's a different activity now. But for sheer entertainment, thrills and excitement, I'd take the top 10 from 1971 DCA finals at Aquinas Stadium over 2011 anytime. Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, and Caballeros were absolutely electric! Not to mention, Buccaneers, Crusaders, Hurricanes, Les Dips, Sunrisers, and Brigadiers. And a huge crowd that filled the concert side from goal line to goal line and loved every minute of a truly great show.

funny you mention that year. the attendance was near 20,000 people. and a very loud crowd. it was a great show. and if you listen to the recording you don't hear any mistakes by any of the corps. it was one of the best DCA finals ever. i mean every corps was on that night. that was the night cru first put the girl with the a-flag up on a shield. 13 feet in the air. the crowd went wild. what a night.

Not to forget that in 2005 after we ( The Chicago Royal-Airs) performed our full field show at about 12:45 a.m. after the conclusion of the prelims shows Saturday night, we then came back at around 10:00 a.m. the next morning on Sunday and performed it all over again for the "Alumni Spectacular Show".

Absolutely... talk about a short turnaround!

Royal Airs was fun that year, but to me, the best Royal Airs alumni performance was Madison in 02....when Brandt said "on the starting line" the crowd went nuts, and when they fired the starters pistol, the place became unglued.

Don't let it be said kids today don't respect the past. that place was packed with kids cheering them on

That was one awesome night in Madison!!!! How about that company front to the tune of "Bally Hoo"!!!

2005 was just as awesome as well! A long night for sure.

funny you mention that year. the attendance was near 20,000 people. and a very loud crowd. it was a great show. and if you listen to the recording you don't hear any mistakes by any of the corps. it was one of the best DCA finals ever. i mean every corps was on that night. that was the night cru first put the girl with the a-flag up on a shield. 13 feet in the air. the crowd went wild. what a night.

Yup buddy... you were with Cru and I was with Brigadiers... the 20K crowd was neat but one of the most interesting aspects of it was the huge number of people sitting backfield... and they got to see lot's of the performance... The FOCAL POINT show production that makes programs almost unwatchable from anywhere but the front 50 was one development that I'm not sure we got right...

Yup buddy... you were with Cru and I was with Brigadiers... the 20K crowd was neat but one of the most interesting aspects of it was the huge number of people sitting backfield... and they got to see lot's of the performance... The FOCAL POINT show production that makes programs almost unwatchable from anywhere but the front 50 was one development that I'm not sure we got right...

And Donna and I were there! (well, at the prelims anyways - marching with the Renegades! thumbup.gif)

From Ron's site... (Thanks Ron!!)

http://diceman-radio...rps/dca1970.htm

1971 DCA Championships

September 5 - Aquinas Stadium - Rochester, New York

1 New York Skyliners 91.500

2 Yankee Rebels 90.750

3 Hawthorne Caballeros 90.625

4 Connecticut Hurricanes 87.925

5 Rochester Crusaders 86.800

6 Reading Buccaneers 86.425

7 Les Diplomates 83.600

8 Long Island Sunrisers 79.550

9 Hamburg Kingsmen 79.375

10 Syracuse Brigadiers 77.550

Prelims

1 New York Skyliners 91.400

2 Hawthorne Caballeros 89.275

3 Yankee Rebels 89.275

4 Connecticut Hurricanes 88.650

5 Reading Buccaneers 88.550

6 Rochester Crusaders (1.0 Pen) 87.250

7 Les Diplomates 85.375

8 Hamburg Kingsmen 81.975

9 Long Island Sunrisers 81.275

10 Syracuse Brigadiers 81.000

11 Burlington Commanders 74.275

12 Pittsburgh Rockets 73.850

13 Guelph Royalaires 72.400

14 Boston Renegades 71.800

15 Bonnie Scots 71.775

16 Boys of '76 71.300

17 Connecticut Yankees 67.950

Edited by TennTux

teah it was something not done right. maybe more people would go to shows if from the backfield you could see the show. most of the shows at holleder stadium the front ,back and the horshoe was filled. 20,000 plus. on a bad day when it rained........12,000-14,000. great crowds back then. and BTW i loved the brigs show that year.

teah it was something not done right. maybe more people would go to shows if from the backfield you could see the show. most of the shows at holleder stadium the front ,back and the horshoe was filled. 20,000 plus. on a bad day when it rained........12,000-14,000. great crowds back then. and BTW i loved the brigs show that year.

Even the Hamburg Kingsmen with Colin as instructor, playing the inverted Gabby streetbeat..... :thumbup: are you kidding me!!!!

Even the Hamburg Kingsmen with Colin as instructor, playing the inverted Gabby streetbeat..... :thumbup: are you kidding me!!!!

yeah ed it was great. i heard you asked colin why we didn't use it............his response to you..........i didn't know it yet.......lol but we did finally use it in 1977.