What did the "Demons" throw on the field last night?

I was at the show in m'boro last night (where I live). I have not been keeping up at all over the summer so I was pretty excited to go and catch up on the slack. So when the Cadets came out "Team Demon" started throwing cones and what have ye. Then I saw someone chuck a trumpet like 20 yards. Who ever chucked that... was that a real horn? :huh: (I love Cavaliers, but the Cadets show was my favorite) by the way, I never saw if they switched it out for a playable horn, so I was wondering if it was the actual playing horn someone decided to chuck. Ima quit typing.

I was at the show in m'boro last night (where I live). I have not been keeping up at all over the summer so I was pretty excited to go and catch up on the slack. So when the Cadets came out "Team Demon" started throwing cones and what have ye. Then I saw someone chuck a trumpet like 20 yards. Who ever chucked that... was that a real horn? :huh: (I love Cavaliers, but the Cadets show was my favorite) by the way, I never saw if they switched it out for a playable horn, so I was wondering if it was the actual playing horn someone decided to chuck. Ima quit typing.

It was a baritone that had been run over by a mom picking up a kid at a school. The horn was relegated to the closet to be used for parts, but the kids thought it would be a great effect on the field.

There's a story about it on the Cadets site.

"We'd never intentionally run over a perfectly good horn!"

I think Phantom '91 is the only time anyone has thrown a horn across the field for real..... :ph34r: (watch close at the end, when they throw the helmets, and a horn goes flying)

But then again, last year in Boston's show, there was the horn toss, that was missed a couple of times. I know I always held my breath when they tried it....

It's a cool effect though for the Cadet's show, really love all of the layering they've put into this show, could really push for the title, I hope so at least.

• Like 5

Just from reading descriptions (plus watching videos all season as the show has progressed), it feels like the theatrics of Phantom 08.

• Like 2

I believe it was the 1984 Freelancers who had their guard start the show with sopranos and they dd a toss with the horns prior to putting them down and picing up their rifles

I believe it was the 1984 Freelancers who had their guard start the show with sopranos and they dd a toss with the horns prior to putting them down and picing up their rifles

Yes...but those were old P/R horns...not current (at the time) inventory.

91 Regiment...I believe the bari that got tossed was a personal horn, not owned by the corps.

91 Regiment...I believe the bari that got tossed was a personal horn, not owned by the corps.

The story I heard was that it was an age-out that had a bet with a staff member for a case of beer, and apparently the member won, so the video says. :devil:

Saw a contrabass go flying (well as good as contras go flying) at the Mini Corps Contest at DCA Weekend 2007..... Later I told the guy who was holding it (fellow DCPer) that he wasn't allowed within 50 feet of my single valve horn....

Paging Gary Matczak.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari