Erie August 7th

All right, let's get this on.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 2011 Lake Erie Fanfare World Class competition at McDowell High School in Erie, Pennsylvania! My name is Kevin Gamin and I will be your host for this evening's Live From the Stands coverage of the show. After severe storms this morning, the skies have remained clear, if not downright sunny, and we're going to have a great night of drum corps, with show time temperatures at 82 degrees!

Tonight's show features all World Class corps except for last year's Top 8, which are performing in the last Tour of Championships event for this season. Pioneer is also not attending this event, although I don't know the reason why. If anybody knows, please let us know. The first corps steps off at 5:30, so be sure you're watching this thread for updates starting around that time.

That's awesome Kevin...thanks! Looking forward to your color commentary :thumbup:

Here's some other outlets you can follow me on where I will be posting thoughts on tonight's performances as well as some photos:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kevingamin

Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/kevingamin

Google+ - https://plus.google.com/101166939335195707710/

National anthem is done. They're now announcing the judges for tonight. Step off coming soon!

First on the field tonight are the Cascades from Shoreline, Washington. Their 2011 program is entitled "Pandora, a Dark Gift" and consists of:

Pandora - A Dark Gift by Hinkel, Josh and Grant, Chris

My Immortal by Evanescence

My view of the stands:

3597be09b0ff44579111fa24415441b1.jpg

Cascades start with the drum line along the back of the field, along the bottom of the yard numbers. The horns are in the center, with various PVC tube cubes and a fabric cube in the middle, Pandora's box, if you will.

As part of the pre-show, we get some Gollum dialogue, it sounds like.

Pre-show has the horns facing backfield, spreading out from the cube.

Horns turn front after the opening salute. Nice opening statement from the corps, crowd approves.

Could use more low end in the brass. Only 8 tubas (remember when 8 was huge?), means the baris sound a little bright as a result.

One of the guard members has a black box prop, trying to do dance moves with it. Doesn't really work.

So far, I'm liking the brass. Very powerful sound, pretty tight. World Class is strong from top to bottom this year.